Reel Time Tuning Analysis Launched!

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
groxburgh
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by groxburgh »

s1m0n wrote:From reading this post and part of your historical flute syndrome piece, am I correct in guessing that this is a piece of software into which one can load a sample of recorded music that the software will turn into a chart of all the notes it contains, correctly analysed for pitch?
Yes! Read more here:
http://www.mcgee-flutes.com/RTTA.htm
I hope it's worth reading even for those who aren't interested in actually using the software.

Cheers
Graeme
groxburgh

Post by groxburgh »

mahanpots wrote:I see I'm going to have to get my son over here to help me understand some of this.
I installed earlier version of R, and I have no idea if it's up and running. I can open up the program and I get a window starts off with:

R : Copyright 2005, The R Foundation for Statistical Computing
Version 2.1.1 (2005-06-20), ISBN 3-900051-07-0

I can type in the window. Does this mean I am in the 'command line mode?'

I opened a clip of myself playing flute in Tartini and exported it as "Rtest.txt" and placed it in the same folder as Polygraph.r and Polygraph.bat.

Highwood says that once I get R running, "In the 'Shell' menu (of Terminal) choose new command and type in 'R --no-save <Polygraph.r' and check the 'run in shell' box. Now terminal will remember this command and you do not have to keep typing it in.

So, I typed 'R --no-save <Polygraph.r' Nothing happened. I can't see anything identifying itself as a 'run in shell' box when I place my cursor on it, so I hit my return key. The following appears below what I typed:
[1] "R --no-save <Polygraph.r"
Still nothing.

Sorry about the ignorance. I'm sure my son could figure it out. He graduated from Duke in Computer Science.

Michael
Hi Michael
Not that I'm using a Mac but here's your problem. You have got R running. Good. But you've typed into the R GUI console, not what's needed. Just close that R program. You need to open the Mac "Terminal" then type into that. If you're not sure what the Mac "Terminal" is someone else can explain it to you. Then follow Bill's instructions for typing in there. And type 'R --no-save <Polygraph.r' without the quote marks.

OK
Graeme
Denny
antispam: No

Post by Denny »

careful Graeme, it's like herding cats
brotherwind

Post by brotherwind »

Hi,
I have R 2.6.2 running on Mac Os X 10.4.11

When I start the command: R --no-save <Polygraph.r in a terminal window I get following message:

Fehler in X11(paste("jpeg::", quality, ":", filename, sep = ""), width, :
kann Device JPEG nicht starten
Calls: jpeg
Zus"atzlich: Warning message:
In jpeg("Polygraph.jpg", width = 800, height = 600, units = "px", :
konnte Verbindung zu X11 display '' nicht "offnen
Ausf"uhrung angehalten

Well, some of it is in German. Translated it could read Error in X11(xyz) could not start Device JPEG

Additional warning message:
Could not open connection to x11 display, execution stopped

The script generates a Jpeg of 0kb that I cannot open.

:( Any help out there?
Last edited by brotherwind on Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
groxburgh

Post by groxburgh »

brotherwind wrote:Hi,
I have R 2.6.2 running on Mac Os X 10.4.11

When I start the command: R --no-save <Polygraph.r in a terminal window I get following message:

Well, some of it is i German. Translated it could read Error in X11(xyz) could not start Device JPEG

Additional warning message:
Could not open connection to x11 display, execution stopped

The script generates a Jpeg of 0kb that I cannot open.

:( Any help out there?
Well it's running but can't write the to the .jpg file. As mentioned before:- when downloading R2.6.2 it clearly states it is for MacOS 10.4.4 or higher and you're running an earlier version. I suggest getting and installing a version of R that is claimed to run on the version of MacOS you have.

Cheers
Graeme
brotherwind

Post by brotherwind »

Sorry about my ignorance, but isn't 10.4.11 higher than 10.4.4?

Or, am I missing something?
groxburgh

Post by groxburgh »

brotherwind wrote:Sorry about my ignorance, but isn't 10.4.11 higher than 10.4.4?

You're missing a PC! Sorry that's a cheap shot. At work I do PC support and try and avoid the Macs when possible.

Yes I suppose 10.4.11 is higher, I didn't read properly the first time and I'd help if I could. Hang on in there, I'm sure we'll get it sorted eventually.

Cheers
Graeme
mahanpots

Post by mahanpots »

brotherwind wrote:Sorry about my ignorance, but isn't 10.4.11 higher than 10.4.4?

Cheers Brotherwind. I made the same mistake and was thinking I had 10.4.1, when I actually have 10.4.11. At least I know what Terminal is now.

Michael
Olwell Pratten.
Paddy Cronin's Jig
Limestone Rock, Silver Spear
Blasting, billowing, bursting forth with the power of 10 billion butterfly sneezes
highwood
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by highwood »

Assuming R works fine on 10.4.11 which is probably a good assumption I see two likely problems:

1st you are going to run this from the 'terminal' (a program that should be in the utilities folder in the application folder) and when you type R the terminal needs to know where R is. So you need to type in a terminal window this:
"sudo ln -s /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/R /usr/local/bin/R"
without the quotes - this came from the R Mac FAQ and assumes that R was installed in the standard way and not moved.

2nd Polygraph.r and rtest.txt need to be together in a folder and the right folder. When I start terminal I get a window with "mfmb:~ bill$ " in it mfmb is the name of my computer and bill is my user name and corresponds to my home folder /Users/bill. Polygraph.r and rtest.txt need to be in this folder. (you can change where the terminal is looking but that is yet more unix commands to type!)

You can check the path of your Polygraph.r file just drag and drop it on the terminal window - if I do this I see:

mfmb:~ bill$ /Users/bill/Polygraph.r

OK another approach
Open terminal
Type "R" (no quotes)
R should start in the 'command line mode' type "q()" to quit.

If it did not start then you need to type in:
and if you already did that then R is not working for some reason.

If it did work try typing "R --no-save <" and then drag (from a finder window) and drop Polygraph.r onto the terminal window, this should add the path to polygraph.r
for example I put Polygraph.r into a folder named polydata in my home folder and this was the result:
mfmb:~ bill$ R --no-save </Users/bill/polydata/Polygraph.r
press return and it should run.

Good luck and have fun.

Bill
brotherwind

Post by brotherwind »

highwood wrote:Assuming R works fine on 10.4.11 which is probably a good assumption I see two likely problems:

1st you are going to run this from the 'terminal' (a program that should be in the utilities folder in the application folder) and when you type R the terminal needs to know where R is. So you need to type in a terminal window this:
without the quotes - this came from the R Mac FAQ and assumes that R was installed in the standard way and not moved.

2nd Polygraph.r and rtest.txt need to be together in a folder and the right folder. When I start terminal I get a window with "mfmb:~ bill$ " in it mfmb is the name of my computer and bill is my user name and corresponds to my home folder /Users/bill. Polygraph.r and rtest.txt need to be in this folder. (you can change where the terminal is looking but that is yet more unix commands to type!)

You can check the path of your Polygraph.r file just drag and drop it on the terminal window - if I do this I see:

mfmb:~ bill$ /Users/bill/Polygraph.r

OK another approach
Open terminal
Type "R" (no quotes)
R should start in the 'command line mode' type "q()" to quit.

If it did not start then you need to type in:
and if you already did that then R is not working for some reason.

If it did work try typing "R --no-save <" and then drag (from a finder window) and drop Polygraph.r onto the terminal window, this should add the path to polygraph.r
for example I put Polygraph.r into a folder named polydata in my home folder and this was the result:
mfmb:~ bill$ R --no-save </Users/bill/polydata/Polygraph.r
press return and it should run.

Good luck and have fun.

Bill

Still the same error, whith JPEG creation. Next try...
spong

Post by spong »

At last, something I know a little bit about.
brotherwind wrote: When I start the command: R --no-save <Polygraph.r in a terminal window I get following message:

Fehler in X11(paste("jpeg::", quality, ":", filename, sep = ""), width, :
kann Device JPEG nicht starten
Calls: jpeg
Zus"atzlich: Warning message:
In jpeg("Polygraph.jpg", width = 800, height = 600, units = "px", :
konnte Verbindung zu X11 display '' nicht "offnen
Ausf"uhrung angehalten
I'm pretty sure this is because you don't have X11 installed. The R jpeg (and png) output is dependent on X11 for things like fonts.

You can either install X11 from your 10.4 DVD, or use TextEdit or something similar to modify the script to produce PDF output by changing line 132 from:

Code: Select all

jpeg("Polygraph.jpg", width = 800, height = 600, units = "px",)
to:

Code: Select all

pdf("Polygraph.pdf")
PDF works great on the Mac, and you can File/Save As in Preview to convert to a JPG, or preferably for solid colour images, a PNG file.
brotherwind

Post by brotherwind »

cool, that works!
Thanks a lot. I got my first analysis.

Still I remember having installed x11.

So I looked for it and started a terminal window out of it and bingo. This time it works either way, pdf and even jpeg.

Seems like x11 must be active to get it right.

Cheers and thanks again for helping!!
Great thread anyways,

Moritz
Gabriel
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Gabriel »

Can't get it working here, Tartini is the problem. The program won't record any sound. I messed around a lot with the sound device settings, but it doesn't work at all. I double-checked with my usual program I use for sound recording (SoundForge 5.0) and it works perfectly well there. The only problem I can imagine is that Tartini doesn't like my Zoom H2 which I use as a microphone via the USB interface - though native windows programs work with it as if it were a pretty normal soundcard with microphone. I'll see if I can find a microphone somewhere in the house to plug it directly into my internal soundcard. Or I'll try the mac-based recording rig in the cellar...
brotherwind

Post by brotherwind »

Gabriel wrote:Can't get it working here, Tartini is the problem. The program won't record any sound. I messed around a lot with the sound device settings, but it doesn't work at all. I double-checked with my usual program I use for sound recording (SoundForge 5.0) and it works perfectly well there. The only problem I can imagine is that Tartini doesn't like my Zoom H2 which I use as a microphone via the USB interface - though native windows programs work with it as if it were a pretty normal soundcard with microphone. I'll see if I can find a microphone somewhere in the house to plug it directly into my internal soundcard. Or I'll try the mac-based recording rig in the cellar...
Hi Gabriel, why don't you record something with your H2. Preferably as wav-file or convert an mp3 recording to a wav file and then open the file with Tartini? The app converts the wav and you can read tuning etc. Found this cause Tartini crashed repeatedly when I record longer than about 30 seconds.
Gabriel
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Gabriel »

Doesn't work on the Mac, no matter which sound card I use. Tartini always moans that it can't open the sound device, even the internal jack won't work.

I'll try your approach, Moritz. :)

*edit* works perfectly that way. Thanks!