Flute Geezers for Free (link now included :?)

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Akiba
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am an Irish flute player and whistler. I have been a member since 2007? This has been one of the most informative sites on Irish flute I have found.

Flute Geezers for Free (link now included :?)

Post by Akiba »

Just found this on the web--amazing what's out there for free. Probably already been mentioned before, but I could not find it specifically when doing a search on C&F.

http://www.lafferty.ca/music/irish/flute-geezers/

Eddie Maloney

edmaloney1.mp3 Christmas Eve
edmaloney2.mp3 ?reel
edmaloney3.mp3 one of the Copperplates
edmaloney4.mp3 the other Copperplate
edmaloney5.mp3 ?jig

edmaloney6.mp3 The Cat’s Rambles [per Jack Coen]

edmaloney7.mp3 Boyne Hunt; Rolling on the Rye Grass [aka Shannon Breeze]

Josie McDermott

jmc1.mp3 ?reel
jmc2.mp3 Rathcroghan Reel [per Catherine McEvoy]

jmc3.mp3 Darby’s Farewell to London [announced]

jmc4.mp3 Kiss the Maid behind the Barrel

Apologies if this is a rehash, but many folks (myself included) are still a bit new to the field and may not have had the pleasure of listening to these tracks.

Cheers,

Jason
Denny

Post by Denny »

http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... ers#678030

Flute Geezers

hah! If I'd a known you'd notice that you'd left out the link I wouldn't have splunked the old thread.... :lol:
Akiba
Tell us something.: I am an Irish flute player and whistler. I have been a member since 2007? This has been one of the most informative sites on Irish flute I have found.

Post by Akiba »

How did you find the old thread? I used the C&F search button put flute geezers in quotes and did not find it. I sit humbly corrected, but it's still a solid site and that thread was right when I was just getting on C&F last year; thought I had heard it before.

Though, things have a way of sounding differently from one year to the next. How I listen to those clips now I'm sure is quite different than I would have last year. Worth the revisit.
Denny

Post by Denny »

I searched the Flute forum only
I searched for Geezers
I scrolled through the first page pretty fast
it was about midway down the 2nd page

don't use quotes, the search is a bit antiquated...ah dodgy....ah querky....ah ya just gotta get used to it. :lol:

yep, due for a re airing!
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

Denny wrote:http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... ers#678030

Flute Geezers

hah! If I'd a known you'd notice that you'd left out the link I wouldn't have splunked the old thread.... :lol:
Not to be overly critical or anything, but as an old spelunker I must insist on a correct spelling of the word, else people will think that you just made it up because you liked the sound or some other weird reason. :wink:
Denny

Post by Denny »

:oops: broke the flashlight.... :oops:

spell checker doesn't like it as a verb, either :o
Doug_Tipple

Post by Doug_Tipple »

Denny wrote::oops: broke the flashlight.... :oops:

spell checker doesn't like it as a verb, either :o
When you are two hours down in a cave and you break your flashlight you are in big trouble. When I was in college I explored caves in southern Indiana using a carbide lamp as a light source. Little pellets of carbide were placed in the bottom of the lamp, and as water dripped on the carbide, acetylene gas was given off. With a sparker we ignited this emitting gas with a bang, and this flame was what we used as our primary source of light. Of course, we had candles, matches, and flashlights as backup sources of light. You don't want to run out of light underground. Only novices go into any kind of a cave with only a flashlight.
Denny

Post by Denny »

monkey587

Post by monkey587 »

I've identified most of the unidentified tracks... I emailed it to the webmaster but it bounced. I will see if I can find the list...

btw, this is all essential listening. mandatory, even. in fact, if you don't like it at first, keep coming back to it from time to time until you do.
William Bajzek
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

Doug_Tipple wrote: When you are two hours down in a cave and you break your flashlight you are in big trouble.
Two hours inside a cave, there are plenty of things you can break to make trouble. When I was in venturers (scouts, 14-17), we'd gone about an hour into a cave and come 15 back out again when the guy at the front kicked loose a rock scrambling up a slope that fell 20 or so feet onto guy #3's index finger, smashing the nail clean off.

Leaving us with a 45 minute scramble to the surface and a two hour hike to the car with a guy who was, all things considered, remarkably self posessed, but who had to get up some pretty steep scrapes without his right hand.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
monkey587

Re: Flute Geezers for Free (link now included :?)

Post by monkey587 »

unknown:
1. mountain top
10. not sure of the tune, but I've been told that the "flute-cittern" track is John Carlos and I think this is the same guy.
7. not sure of the tunes, but it's Marcas Hernon, from an old comhaltas album... it's just listed as "selection of jigs"
8. Hernon again.
9: gatehouse maid / the sandmount. Carlos, again (I think)

eddie moloney:
2. mama's pet
5. whelan's old sow

flute cittern:
not sure of the tunes... Carlos again (I think)

jack dolan:
2. last tune is flowers of the red mill
4. roaring mary

packie duignan:
5. piper's despair

patsy hanley:
2. creamer's favorite / miss mcguinness (from an old lp, "jenny's wedding")

that's all I've got for now...
William Bajzek
toughknot
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by toughknot »

Does Mr. Hernon know he is a Geezer?
I shall never bitter be so long as I can laugh at me.
Akiba

Post by Akiba »

Thanks for filling in most of the gaps, William. Yeah, great listening, very educational. I was looking for some Josie McDermott, found this and was not disappointed.
monkey587

Post by monkey587 »

Akiba wrote:Thanks for filling in most of the gaps, William. Yeah, great listening, very educational. I was looking for some Josie McDermott, found this and was not disappointed.
his "Darby's Farewell" album is quite the classic.

As far as Hernon being a "geezer..." I read somewhere that the tape was originally entitled "flute gods" and was later renamed. Personally I find Hernon's stuff to be a bit on the dry side. I LOVE the Jack Dolan and Eddie Moloney tracks, and most of the others as well.

Once upon a time, it seems, people's idea of tone color didn't mean that every note had to sound the same.
William Bajzek
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

The original tape was, I am told, compiled by Seamus MacMathuna. I have had a copy for donkey's years and never realised it was the same as on the website. Anyhow, the original tape has Macmathuna announcing all players.