Looking for plastic Baroque flute

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
glauber
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Looking for plastic Baroque flute

Post by glauber »

Howdy.

If anyone here has one of those plastic Aulos Baroque flutes in good shape and would like to sell or donate it to me, i would be much obliged. Please contact me by PM.

Thanks,

glauber
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
Doug_Tipple
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

Sorry, I don't have a plastic Baroque flute. I just wanted to say hello. How are you doing?
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

He has other plastic flutes, however!

How are you, Glauber?
dow
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by dow »

Hey Glauber!

Yep, if you can find a plastic one, then maybe it won't get baroque.

:D

It's been a long time since I've read one of your posts. Welcome back. :)
Dow Mathis ∴
Boerne, TX
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently motivated fool.
Sillydill

Post by Sillydill »

Hey Glauber!

The cheapest source for Aulos flutes that I know of is Rhythm Band ($215 for glossy and $285 for matt, $425 for Stansby Jr.).

Here's a link to their web-site (scroll down to the bottom): http://www.rhythmband.com/aulosrec3.html

Happy Hunting!
Keep on Tootin!

Jordan
Cork

Post by Cork »

Sillydill wrote:Hey Glauber!

The cheapest source for Aulos flutes that I know of is Rhythm Band ($215 for glossy and $285 for matt, $425 for Stansby Jr.).

Here's a link to their web-site (scroll down to the bottom): http://www.rhythmband.com/aulosrec3.html

Happy Hunting!
Aulos = Good! However, if given a choice, go for the matte finish, and not the glossy.

Wouldn't you know it, but leave it to Sillydill to know a good thing.
glauber

Post by glauber »

Happy Hunting!
Yes, i found that... i was wondering if that's the real thing or some horrible copy [for no reason, just the cheesy name Rhythm Band]. But the price looks like what it should be for the real thing. If i don't hear from someone here or the other 2 boards i posted, i'll get one of those.

g
--Wellsprings--
glauber

Post by glauber »

Doug_Tipple wrote:Sorry, I don't have a plastic Baroque flute. I just wanted to say hello. How are you doing?
Hey, Doug! Doing ok, thank you! Any new flutes or other crazy instruments?
--Wellsprings--
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

glauber wrote:
Doug_Tipple wrote:Sorry, I don't have a plastic Baroque flute. I just wanted to say hello. How are you doing?
Hey, Doug! Doing ok, thank you! Any new flutes or other crazy instruments?
Yes, I am getting ready to introduce a high D flute/fife. However, Glauber, since you are a dog, I wouldn't recommend it. As Cork says, a little ear protection may be needed for the top notes.
Hoovorff

Post by Hoovorff »

Glauber,

Check your PM's re: an Aulos Stansby jr. flute.

Thanks, Jeanie
Cork

Post by Cork »

glauber wrote:

Happy Hunting!
Yes, i found that... i was wondering if that's the real thing or some horrible copy [for no reason, just the cheesy name Rhythm Band]. But the price looks like what it should be for the real thing. If i don't hear from someone here or the other 2 boards i posted, i'll get one of those.

g
Rhythm Band is only the name of the seller, so what's in a name?

The Aulos AF2S or AF2H, @A=440 Hz is the way to go, unless you could be in the company of those who insist on playing at "period" pitch, A=415, and Aulos makes that flute, too, but as another model.

For the money, Aulos is a great deal. Hard plastic might seem to be a cheesy thing, but it's not, and to be honest, such hard plastic can do things no wood flute can do. I have an Aulos AF2S, one-key Baroque flute, and it does play, very well!
Akiba
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am an Irish flute player and whistler. I have been a member since 2007? This has been one of the most informative sites on Irish flute I have found.

Post by Akiba »

so what's the difference between the matte and the glossy? why is the matte more expensive?
flutefry
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Pipes have become my main instrument, but I still play the flute. I have emerged from the "instrument acquisition" phase, and am now down to one full set of pipes (Gordon Galloway), and one flute (Hudson Siccama).

Post by flutefry »

I haven't looked at the Aulos site to know what they say, but I've had both matte and glossy versions. In my hands, I get a more nimble response and better tone with the matte version than the shiny version. I thought I detected evidence of hand-finishing on the matte version, but I don't have both any more so I can't check this now. I also have a shiny version of the Aulos altered by Rod Cameron, who roughened the bore, (conceivably a reason for the better sound of the matter version???) and who undercut the toneholes, as well as supplying a fix that allows one to play at A415 and 440. This plays better for me than either of the factory versions.

Still, they are handy to have, and a good way to see if you like playing the traverso. In answer to the original poster, I (embarrassingly) don't remember if I still have a spare Aulos traverso-I'll have a look. I know I have my Cameron mod version, and that I sold one a few years ago (but which?), but I can't remember if there is another in the pile....

Hugh
I thought I had no talent, but my talent is to persist anyway.
glauber

Post by glauber »

Well, thanks, everybody, i ended up buying the black matte version from Woodwind and Brasswind. With free shipping, that price is hard to beat. Now it's just the wait and the hoping the magic Internet pixies pick a good one for me.

This will be for traveling, so i don't have to risk my wooden traverso. In an emergency, it might even double as a session flute.

:) i seem to have bought the only one they had in stock. It said "in stock and ready to ship", and now it says "2-3 weeks".
--Wellsprings--
JS

Post by JS »

Glauber --

Glad to see you back here. I've missed your posts.

Would you be kind enough to post a review of the Aulos when you've had the chance to try it out a bit?
"Furthermore he gave up coffee, and naturally his brain stopped working." -- Orhan Pamuk