Is a Six or Eight-Keyed Flute Worth It?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
MJ1619

Is a Six or Eight-Keyed Flute Worth It?

Post by MJ1619 »

Hey everybody,

I am considering selling several of my instruments including a keyless blackwood flute by Michael Copeland, three Cooperman fifes, and a Buffet clarinet to raise funds to purchase either a six or an eight-key flute. Before I go past the point of no return, I wanted to ask the knowledgeable people on this forum whether it is worth parting with these instruments for a keyed-flute?

If so, should I go for six-key or eight-key, and could someone, possibly suggest some makers?

Thank you,

Michael
Cork
antispam: No

Post by Cork »

I see that you already have a keyless flute, which leads to a question, the answer to which likely is already known by you. That is, do you have a need for keys?

I'd suggest hanging on to at least one keyless flute, even if you do decide to get one with keys. Keys can leak or otherwise go wrong, the more keys you have, the more could go wrong, and that's what's nice about a keyless flute; it's about as reliable as a flute could be.
Jayhawk
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Cork is right that keys can leak, go wonky, etc., but I really like having keys. Besides, leaky keys are the reason sticky tack, rubber bands and hose clamps were invented - they give your keyed flute that looks that says - "hey, I'm a serious musician, I'm broke, please buy me a drink".

I'm surviving fine with only one flute - a 6 key. Sometimes I think it would be nice to have those low C and C# keys, but they're not essential. Plus, once you have them, you're hooked - you'll then be looking for a Viennese flute with a low B key, then a low A key, and then, unless some caring family member hosts an intervention, you'll grasp for a flute with a low G key!

Seriously though, if you're not missing keys, you really don't need them. However, since you're asking, I'm guessing you have either missed or simply want them. 6 or 8 keys are more than enough (I could be quite happy with 4 - that's about all I use).

Eric
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Go for it! I very much doubt you'd regret it, though obviously there's a bit of a learning curve to negotiate. If you did find in the end it wasn't for you, you'd be able to sell it on without much loss, if any, so it's a pretty safe experiment. And go for the full kit - 6 keyers are just frustrating (IMO).

As for makers, most of the top established names (Murray, Olwell, Wilkes, Grinter etc.) have very lengthy waiting lists. Your budget is also an issue. There are many other good makers out there who do keyed flutes and may not have such long waiting times (Hamilton, McGee, Jon C, Reviol, Aebi, Ormiston, Lehart, Skopavel.....), though I really don't know what wait you'd have for any of these just mentioned - you'd need to contact them.

There are also quite a few very promising looking newer/younger makers appearing who don't as yet have established reputations, so may be a more economical choice with a faster turn-round - Solen Lesouef who was the subject of a recent thread would be a good example of such, or Holmes-McNaughton were also mentioned recently - and who knows, you might get in early with a name that will become a top one in future.
It is quite unlikely, however, that you will find a fully keyed flute brand new off-the-shelf, ready to go when you enquire from any maker, though it is worth asking as they do sometimes have purchasers who go missing or change their minds etc. and a flute can come up at short notice. It is worth keeping an eye on Doc's shop website too.

Otherwise, you have to think about the second hand market - you at least have a chance of finding something more quickly that way - viz the Murray currently on eBay. That also opens up the option of antiques! If your budget is under about £1000/U$2000, you can pretty much forget new maker's flutes, or second hand ones from the same people, or high-end antiques, but you can still get very serviceable overhauled and ready to play antique 8-key flutes right across the price range, from prices comparable to those for new keyless flutes all the way up the scale. Such instruments, both new and antique are frequently offered for sale on this forum or linked to when on eBay etc. - and they get discussed here too.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
mcdafydd
Tell us something.: My wife and I moved back to beautiful Central Vermont and I need to update my Location! Thanks much...

Re: Is a Six or Eight-Keyed Flute Worth It?

Post by mcdafydd »

Hi there,

I think it's probably worth it if you have gotten to the point where you want keys badly enough that you're even thinking of parting with a bunch of other instruments. I'm going through a similar process as well, back and forth with makers, which keys if not the standard 6, budgets, etc.

For a first flute, if you aren't completely sure what you want, I'd suggest three main things:

1. Go for a standard 6-key. It'll save you loads of money, let you be sure that you really need a keyed flute, or at least let you know what keys you use all the time, and keep the resale value high if you want to try something different soon after.

2. Try as many as you can beforehand. I'm finding that it isn't just the tone I'm after in a keyed flute but the style and feeling of the keys, weight, balance, embouchure cut, wood type, the whole package. Each time I try a new flute I feel like I learn something new about what I want and don't want from a flute.

3. Once you kinda know what you want, go for it! If you're a bit too impatient to wait 6 months to 2 years (or more) for a new flute, be ready to jump on an opportunity that shows up to save yourself certain disappointment. Keep an eye on websites that sell loads of flutes like Doc's :)

I've been going through various keyed flutes for a couple years now in this process. I'm getting to some really usable instruments finally!

Good luck!
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

Probably not, but who can resist?
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
dow
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by dow »

Hey,

Another option if you're not set on a new flute is to look at some of the members here who refurbish antique flutes. I got a great six-key flute from Jon C. last fall at a very reasonable price, and he works on lots of old flutes. Occasionally he has one for sale. It's really neat be able to play my flute and realize that someone else was playing this flute 150 years ago. :)
Dow Mathis ∴
Boerne, TX
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently motivated fool.
Cork

Post by Cork »

jemtheflute wrote:...(Murray, Olwell, Wilkes, Grinter etc.)...(Hamilton, McGee, Jon C, Reviol, Aebi, Ormiston, Lehart, Skopavel.....)...
Ahem, please, Casey Burns, too. http://www.caseyburnsflutes.com

I have one of his keyless, large holed "standard" flutes, and it's not for sale, thank you!
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

Cork wrote: Ahem, please, Casey Burns, too. http://www.caseyburnsflutes.com

I have one of his keyless, large holed "standard" flutes, and it's not for sale, thank you!
Nor mine.

Still, 'tis a pity you can't rent a keyed Irish flute from your local band supplier, just to give it a whirl. I think I want one, and I very well might need one, but I'm just not sure. I guess I'll eventually sell an offspring and try one out.....
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
Berti66
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Berti66 »

yeah that would be a very cool idea, to be able to rent/ loan a flute for a few weeks to try it out before you decide if it's for you or not.
exactly why I would like to see more flutes on tour by makers.....only point, is that these won't likely be keyed due to value/ fragility etc.

I am in the same boat but waiting for jon to fix up a flute to sell to me as a first keyed before I decide if it's for me or that I better learn other fingerings to make my aebi play more chromatic *hmm*

berti
all music is what awakes within you
when you are reminded of it by the instrument.
walt whitman
brotherwind

Post by brotherwind »

Thanks for rising the issue. I was very close to post about the same question yesterday. Let me expand on it:

What are tunes, situations etc. where you can really use the low C#- and Cnat-keys?

I will have to wait long enough to think and discuss about 6 vs. 8 keys. Any helpfull comment appreciated.

Thanks, Moritz
Cork

Re: ...

Post by Cork »

brotherwind wrote:Thanks for rising the issue. I was very close to post about the same question yesterday. Let me expand on it:

What are tunes, situations etc. where you can really use the low C#- and Cnat-keys?

I will have to wait long enough to think and discuss about 6 vs. 8 keys. Any helpfull comment appreciated.

Thanks, Moritz
Low C#, on a D flute?

Oh, Danny Boy! Try that tune without a low C# key, for otherwise you'd better have one great lip, to bend the tone so far below bottom D.

Yeah, it can be done, but be forewarned!
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

Tunes with low C#/C that come to my mind:
- The Five Pound Flute
- Packie Duignan's
- The Highest Hill in Sligo
- Josefine's Waltz
- Nollaig Casey's
- Winnie Hayes' (we play the Dmin version on our session)
...there are quite some more...

Other uses for the foot keys:
- middle C# is flat on many flutes. OXX|XXX* brings it in tune. I use that grip regularly.
- rolls on D! :D
- accidentals in many D tunes
- handy when playing in C or F
- they look cool
- turns the flute to a percussion instrument (when having pewter plugs)

I never ever would play a flute without keys more than for trying out the maker. I started serious playing on a keyed flute (after tooting around on a keyless selfmade) and never looked back. They're just handy to have, great for blue notes or key-supported slides (G#->A)...

And they look cool. :wink:
talasiga

Re: Is a Six or Eight-Keyed Flute Worth It?

Post by talasiga »

MJ1619 wrote:.......could someone, possibly suggest some makers?

maurice reviol, recently based in Ireland and now in Aotearoa not only is a highly prized flute maker but he can also add keys to existing instruments. Very reasonable cost too. Check him out.
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
bogtrumpet
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by bogtrumpet »

Eight key & six key from www.holmesmcnaughton.com

see their site or email for pics & prices