Solen Lesouef - flutes & whistles

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Jayhawk
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Solen - beautiful playing, and lovely flutes. Nothing makes me want to buy from a maker more than knowing they play well.

Welcome aboard!

Eric
Liney Bear

Post by Liney Bear »

Second that. Fabulous playing, of what must be fabulous flutes.
LorenzoFlute

Post by LorenzoFlute »

maybe you should add some pics of your flutes made in a wood different form the blackwood, since it seem that you are allergic to it... :)
Solen Lesouef
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Solen Lesouef »

The blackwood is a none option I'm afraid. That's why I bought my mask. The whole workshop is set up with filters. The thing is, the blacwood really sound good especially the less porous pieces, (If blackwood could be said to be porous). I'm just starting to make Transverse flutes in Boxwood, (Pictures in a couple of months), I really love boxwood, cuts nicely, no allergies and it's local and fairtrade....But I know I'm always going to make Blackwood flutes because they sound great, they're stable, (Unlike boxwood), and it's classy too.
Box wood has another sound, it's a bit softer, but It reams so smoothly it can make really amazing flutes even though the density is nothing like blackwood.
I also do plumbing.
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

I.D.10-t wrote:I swear, I know that tune, I just can't put my finger on it.
Kerfunten Jig, one of the famous "Hammy's Jigs".

Great fluid playing, and nice tone, too! Makes me want a Rudall... :D
Mr.Nate
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

sfggfs

Post by Mr.Nate »

Solen,

Fred Rose makes his flutes out of Bubinga. I don't know what the advantages are but it makes a beautiful flute. It may be more non-alergenic and the material cost is less than other tonewoods.

Here's the link http://www.fredrose.co.uk/

He is a very nice person, I am sure he would love to see your website and talk to you about Bubinga if you have an interest! (sorry if I sound pushy!)

Nate
Whistling in the Rockies!!
Gostrangely

Post by Gostrangely »

Nate

Fred is now using honduran rosewood as he says it's more stable, although more expensive.
phcook
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by phcook »

Fred uses (or at least used) mopane too, which gives very nice golden brown color, besides its mechanical properties.
Breizh soner
Mr.Nate
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

dfasdfsdf

Post by Mr.Nate »

Phcook,

Thanks for the info!

I have heard from Casey Burns that mopane is getting harder to get because of over use and other problems.

To conserve his resourses of that wood he has switched his folk flutes to boxwood. He says boxwood is a little lighter and brighter!

Cheers!
Last edited by Mr.Nate on Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Whistling in the Rockies!!
MichaelR

Post by MichaelR »

Solen Lesouef wrote:Funny that it ws mentioned the "dragonesque keys". I love Dragons!
I have been dreaming of making myself a Dragon styled flute for about a year. I've done the drawings. I've turned the tubes...but they are waiting..and it's gonna be in snakewood so I really have to let it settle....It's going to have a a Dragons head stylised in the foot joint keys, with the body going along the flute....
Solen,

Your flutes look great and the sound clip is really nice.

Please post pictures of the "dragon" flute when it's completed. I'd really be interested.

Michael