W.Milhouse or W.Milhause 19th century flute maker info

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
sponge
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: irish music, specifically slow airs played on different whistle keys, also lower keyed flutes like Bb, but only from modern makers who have managed to get the hole spacing a little closer. And finally learning some fiddle tunes, mainly slow airs again so that the whole family don't go mad with the sound of a cat being strangled.

W.Milhouse or W.Milhause 19th century flute maker info

Post by sponge »

Hi all,

trying to gets some info on a 19th century flute maker, I have been offered a flute that the seller has quoted as being made by W. Milhause,
thats how he has sent the name to me via e-mail, the flute is in france at the moment, so he cant check the spelling, I have searched and most info comes up for a W.Milhouse but not Milhause, if anyone knows any more about either of these guys and or if the name has just been written differently thoughout the years and they are one of the same, as Clark Kent is to Superman so to speak, the flute is dark unknown wood plays to A440 and has 8 keys no pics as yet, it also has had no repairs and is free of any cracks, so its been well looked after.

any help appreciated

sponge :D
Terry McGee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Terry McGee »

The NLI makes no mention of a Milhause. Be aware that at this time, well known makers attracted fakes - the "basmati Potters", Monsane (Monzani), and the lovely flute I have here by Rudail & Rose. It seems mispelling the name was enough to avoid prosecution. It's possible that Milhause was one of them.

Check out the Rudail and Rose at:

http://www.mcgee-flutes.com/RR_fake.htm

Terry
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

Damn the forgers! :swear: My wife is still scarred from having received "Barbette" and "Kent" dolls as a child. The therapy is helping, though...
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

crookedtune wrote:Damn the forgers! :swear: My wife is still scarred from having received "Barbette" and "Kent" dolls as a child. The therapy is helping, though...
How? Anyone who even had the genuine articles foisted upon them, let alone actually wanted them, is by definition terminally and irreversibly scarred. Only My Little Ponyism is worse!
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
sponge
Tell us something.: irish music, specifically slow airs played on different whistle keys, also lower keyed flutes like Bb, but only from modern makers who have managed to get the hole spacing a little closer. And finally learning some fiddle tunes, mainly slow airs again so that the whole family don't go mad with the sound of a cat being strangled.

Post by sponge »

Hi All,

thanks for the input, it turns out it is a W.MILHOUSE, still not alot about this chap, other than he stopped making around 1840.

the seller came by it via family handown, its totally free of cracks and any kind of damage, holes appear to be medium sized, embouchure slightly larger than the usual, very decorative rings, 8 silver keys, 5 sections, lined head joint, it has been tested at a music shop and is said to be A440,
and its made of cocus.

so do I make a trip across the water and have a look?????

sponge :D
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Why not? You're well positioned to do so - especially if the present keeper is not toofar off the other side! You make it sound very nice - only way to know is to get your hands on it and give it a toot. Take pics if you do go and post 'em, whether you buy or not if they'll let you! You've tickled our curiosity.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
nitterwhiskers
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by nitterwhiskers »

I've tried one of these ornate ringed cocus Milhouse flutes (8 keyed) - by the looks of the one I tried it must have been one his later flutes. It played very well with good intonation and I remember the response was very good. Can't you have it on approval for a week or so? Let me know if you do get it and what you think, I'm still considering buying the one I tried (I think it was up for £1000).