Cleaning rod stuck

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
JeffS
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by JeffS »

My baby is okay! I got home from work and read all the feedback here. Then, I calmly got a pair of pliers and forcefully pulled the rod through the flute. Viola!

Again, thanks for all the suggestions from the board.

Warmly,
Jeff
"Where I came from, to get enough to eat was an achievement. To get enough to get drunk was a victory" (Brendan Behan)
jemtheflute
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by jemtheflute »

Phew! Well done!
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Excellent!

I'm glad your flute is ok.

Be careful; now that you've fixed it yourself, you may discover that working on these things is every bit as addicting as playing them! :D

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

I wasn't gonna say anything until I heard that you got the cleaning rod free and the flute was ok,

but.....

I NEVER swab out the foot joint of my flute anymore!!!!!!
It's too small!!!!

Just shake it out! Then dab the ends dry with the cloth around your small finger only.

How much water gets down there, anyway, and how harmful can it possibly be even so????????????????

M
(yeah, I did it once, too, but not as badly...)
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Whistlin'Dixie wrote:I wasn't gonna say anything until I heard that you got the cleaning rod free and the flute was ok,

but.....

I NEVER swab out the foot joint of my flute anymore!!!!!!
It's too small!!!!

Just shake it out! Then dab the ends dry with the cloth around your small finger only.

How much water gets down there, anyway, and how harmful can it possibly be even so????????????????

M
(yeah, I did it once, too, but not as badly...)
How about this for a compromise position?

The foot joint is short. Here's how I dry mine: take the silk off of the cleaning stick, and just start feeding one corner of the silk through the footjoint, twisting as I go.

It doesn't take long for the silk to appear at the other end, where I grab it and pull it through.

Ta-da! :)

Foot joint comes out dry as a bone, and there's no cleaning rod to get stuck.

You can oil it the same way if you like.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
Lyn D

Post by Lyn D »

Glad to hear both baby and dad are doing fine! :D What a relief. Phew

Lyn
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

For the body and foot joints, I attach a silk cloth threaded through the eye of the cleaning rod. Then drop the cleaning rod (bottom first) through the joint. Grab the bottom, and pull the rod through, trailed by the cloth. That way, both rod and cloth are not wedged in there at the same point.

Kevin Krell
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
Berti66

Post by Berti66 »

good to see that you managed to pull the rod out, whew....

for drying the body of the flute, I use a pull through kind of flag that a friend made me.
piece of chamois or ultrasuede, attached with one corner to a string........at the end of string are some metal beads for weight.
insert the beads at the left hand part of the body after you removed the head.......they will drop right through the flute to the foot.
there grab the string, and pull.
nothing gets stuck, and flute dried in an instant.
works a treat.

berti
fluti31415

Post by fluti31415 »

Wow -- I'm glad that this resolved itself!

If this happens to anyone in the future, and you absolutely can't get the rod out, there is a tool that is made especially for this purpose. I wouldn't propose that you go out and buy it, but rather head to a music store to have the tech take care of it. If the technician is in house when you come in, there's even a chance that s/he'll take care of it right then and there.

It's basically a small metal hook with a long (about one foot) shank. they reach in and hook the cloth to pull it out. Takes about 10 seconds.
Shannon
(aka fluti31415)
boyd
Tell us something.: Sets in D and B by Rogge and flute by Olwell, whistles by Burke and Goldie. I have been a member for a very long time here. Thanks for reading.

Post by boyd »

Whats wrong with using a hairdryer????

:D

....nobody said this would be easy......