Monzani auktion

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Pekkos
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Monzani auktion

Post by Pekkos »

I found this auction for a Monzani on the Swedish version of ebay, it went for $390. It's not very often wooden flutes show up in auctions in sweden, but this price seemed a bit high to me considering the condition with two keys missing/broken and the cracks.

Any thoughts?

http://www.tradera.com/Antik_tvarflojt_ ... n-49486187

/Anders
jemtheflute
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by jemtheflute »

Thanks for posting this! The flute is certainly in need of some serious restoration, and it looks to have been modified in the past with the addition on pillars of a high E trill key, but it is a fine old flute with its two heads and original box. Monzanis aren't much sought after for Irish music, but they are quite collectible and good playable ones are relevant to period performance for music from the early C19th. I'd say $390 (c £195) was pretty cheap. Someone got a bargain if they knew what they were doing. If they wanted it for Irish music, they probably did the wrong thing.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Re: Monzani auktion

Post by Jon C. »

Pekkos wrote:I found this auction for a Monzani on the Swedish version of ebay, it went for $390. It's not very often wooden flutes show up in auctions in sweden, but this price seemed a bit high to me considering the condition with two keys missing/broken and the cracks.

Any thoughts?

http://www.tradera.com/Antik_tvarflojt_ ... n-49486187

/Anders
Hi,
The flute would have probably went for $1,500-$2k on the American eBay, a very rare flute. The slide is threaded into the unlined wooden head, you can see how it still cracked...
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
cocusflute

Not for the faint of heart

Post by cocusflute »

Actually, if you follow the money trail it sold for closer to $500. Still a great deal - and it's a gorgeous case. I'd have paid that for it, even though it's far from playable and it needs a world of work.
But unless you're a mad monk who eats these for breakfast it's probably wiser to walk away.
The struggle in Palestine is an American war, waged from Israel, America's most heavily armed foreign base and client state. We don't think of the war in such terms. Its assigned role has been clear: the destruction of Arab culture and nationalism.
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Re: Not for the faint of heart

Post by Jon C. »

cocusflute wrote:Actually, if you follow the money trail it sold for closer to $500. Still a great deal - and it's a gorgeous case. I'd have paid that for it, even though it's far from playable and it needs a world of work.
But unless you're a mad monk who eats these for breakfast it's probably wiser to walk away.
I would have it playing by brunch! :party:
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
Pekkos

Post by Pekkos »

Thanks for your replies!

I have been thinking of trying do some repair work from time to time, but this one seemed a bit to nice to practice on :-) so far I have only replaced head corks and glued a crack coming from a partial lining in my Chinese dizi. But I guess I could have sent it to you Jon for a restoration... Have you done Monzani-style keywork yet?

/Anders
eilam

Post by eilam »

the fluted heads are so beautiful, i've seen it on many Monzanies, i know it's to take some weight of the head, but even just for the visual factor, i'd love it.
Jon C.

Post by Jon C. »

Pekkos wrote:Thanks for your replies!

I have been thinking of trying do some repair work from time to time, but this one seemed a bit to nice to practice on :-) so far I have only replaced head corks and glued a crack coming from a partial lining in my Chinese dizi. But I guess I could have sent it to you Jon for a restoration... Have you done Monzani-style keywork yet?

/Anders
Hi,
I have made some wax copies of the Monzani key work, but haven't cast any yet. Repairing the head cracks properly can be tricky. The slide is actually threaded into the wood, so that has to be removed, and the wood reamed, and sleeve glued back in. I have seen a couple of other antiques with this set up.
Michael Flatley

Jon