Slip Jig "set" Suggestions ?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
cadancer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Slip Jig "set" Suggestions ?

Post by cadancer »

I am looking for one or two tunes to add to "Kid on the Mountain" that would work together as a set.

Any ideas?

What order would you play them in?

Thanks in advance,

John
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Hmmm....

How about play it back to back with "Rocky Road to Dublin," either one could come first.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
fearfaoin
antispam: No

Post by fearfaoin »

Arragh Mountains
Fig for a Kiss
Dever the Dancer

Honestly, any order is fine, but I wouldn't put Dever the Dancer
directly before or after Kid on a Moutain, because they are quite
similar.
Cathy Wilde
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Cathy Wilde »

"Arragh Mountains" is a great one. Paddy O'Brien also wrote the wonderful "Father Charley Bourke's" which goes nicely after but has a few trappy F naturals ...

I'm totally in love with "Give Us A Drink of Water" lately -- it's a nice G major break in the middle of a minor set.

(Then again, there's always the "Little Fair Cannavans" -- :oops:)(you had to be there)

Another current fave is "Happy to Meet and Sorry to Part." And of course, if you want to be like Dervish, that one's super-nice followed by "Cathall McConnell's" (aka the "F-sharp Minor Slip Jig")

One other option might be "The Good Wife" ("An Phuis Fluach" (or something sort of like that)) -- I'd probably just limit the set to that and the Kid, though, as both are multi-parters and can make for some heavy going.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
Jennie

Post by Jennie »

I like The Snowy Path. Nice shift to major mode.

I like the Kid on the Mountain too, but nobody here plays it.

Jennie
CelticNot

Post by CelticNot »

For what it's worth, the first time I heard of "Kid on the Mountain" was after I played "The Butterfly" for a friend who plays the whistle, and she told me that "Kid on the Mountain" was usually played with "The Butterfly". (Disclaimer: This is just heresay — I am a novice and have never even been to a session.)
jemtheflute
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by jemtheflute »

It does seem to be faily common to play The Skid Down the Mountain with The Flutterby these days, though can't say I'm a fan of doing so, though I like both tunes. Reasons? First, they are modally rather similar, so it makes for a potentially rather lengthy, rather monochrome set unless you are nifty with spicing it up. Second, I like to play The Flutterby rather slower than Skid, so for me they don't sit well together.

Kid on the Mountain is (being a tad less childish now!), I subjectively have found and opine, one of the generally best known of all Irish tunes, and almost certainly the best known slip jig. Deserves to be - fine and interesting tune. In one edition of O'Neills there is a nifty 6th part with high Es in it! (But no-one ever plays it, so no use at sessions. Fine if you're doing a solo or band version, though.

A favourite of mine is Another Jig Will Do and I don't think anyone has yet mentioned Drops of Brandy,The Foxhunters' or Hardiman the Fiddler or Humours of Whiskey or The Whinney Hills of Leitrim. An Phis Fliuch is another favourite - plenty of crans to practice!

All in all though, why don't you just search through slip jigs on Tunedb or The Session. (I just checked it out - you can search for all tunes of a type very simply and they list 252 slip jigs! OK, there are some duplications and there are Scots and Welsh tunes listed and recent compositions and Balkan Horos that whilst in 9/8 won't really be slip-jigs, etc., but plenty to pick at!) That's assuming you haven't got access to tunebooks like O'Neills or Ceol Rince or Malley's or Bulmer and Sharply or oodles of others?
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
cadancer

Post by cadancer »

jemtheflute wrote:why don't you just search through slip jigs on Tunedb or The Session.
Valid question.

It just seems to me that "Chiffers"

1. Have an opinion.
2. Have expertise.

I thought that might narrow the possibilites down for me and allow me to pick from a much shorter list that just looking through all the slip jigs known to mankind.

Thank you all!

...john

P,S. Feel free to add some more options. :)

P.P.S. FYI - "Balkan Horos that whilst in 9/8 won't really be slip-jigs"
Not even close: the rhythm of the one I saw is actually 2-2-2-3. A good number of Balkan tunes are in odd rhythms. The Bulgarians do not have an even 9 to my knowledge. They have 2-2-2-3 and 3-2-2-2 "daichovo" and "chetvorno" rhythms respectively. Many of them might better be described as 9/16.
Wormdiet

Post by Wormdiet »

Promenade

The Piper's Apron
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
meemtp

Post by meemtp »

"The first slip"

"Hardiman the fiddler"
Corin
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Maggie Brown's Favorite - not a slip jig, but goes well with Kid on the Mountain.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
fluti31415

Re: Slip Jig "set" Suggestions ?

Post by fluti31415 »

cadancer wrote:I am looking for one or two tunes to add to "Kid on the Mountain" that would work together as a set.

Any ideas?

What order would you play them in?

John
If you're open to non. slip jig sets, then I've heard Kid followed by Morrison's jig and it is a nice smooth transition.

I also like the suggestion already given of pairing w/ Rocky Rood to Dublin. Not only would it sound nice, but you'd get the satisfaction of having the names follow a theme-geology, in this case!
Shannon
(aka fluti31415)
cadancer

Re: Slip Jig "set" Suggestions ?

Post by cadancer »

fluti31415 wrote: I also like the suggestion already given of pairing w/ Rocky Rood to Dublin. Not only would it sound nice, but you'd get the satisfaction of having the names follow a theme-geology, in this case!
And now.... for the road-trip set. :)

Thanks!

...john
Jumbuk

Post by Jumbuk »

My daughter and I both like the Butterfly followed by Fig for a Kiss.

Also like Foxhunters followed by Another jig will do followed by Kid on the Mountain.

FWIW.