An epiphany in my playing this morning!

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
peeplj
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by peeplj »

I feel like a kid at Christmas!

This morning while playing tunes suddenly a lot of the stuff Conal's been having me work on (breathing, tempo, glottals, etc) suddenly clicked in, and the "speed limit" got lifted!

I really firmly believe that Conal O'Grada and his Scoiltrad lessons have put me years ahead of where I'd be in my playing without them, so to Conal, a big Thank You!!!

Here's an MP3 from this morning that I'm kinda proud of. As always, feedback, even if negative, is appreciated.

http://www.flutesite.com/samples/stoney.mp3

Best to all,

--James
http://www.flutesite.com
eskin

Post by eskin »

Hi James,

Congrats on the epiphany!

My single suggestion is:

Slow down and enjoy the music!

What's happening is that you're speeding up and slowing down, rushing through the harder parts as you get into the second octave. When that happens, the tone and note articulation gets very blurry. Starts sounding like someone who is trying to play fast, not someone playing fast...

I'd kick it back about 25-50% in speed and try the same thing, really concentrating on consistent tempo, clarity of tone, and articulation. I'm of the strong belief that if you can't do it slowly, you sure can't do it fast.

Just my opinion... hope its useful!

Michael
MurphyStout

Post by MurphyStout »

Hello James,

I would also like to offer my congrats on your epiphany. And I would like to say that I think you sound really good. How long have you been playing?

I will offer my thoughts on your playing but take in mind that you are a better flute player than I am. I only been playing the flute for about 7 months.

My critique is the same as Micheal's. A common problem with flute players (myself included) is that we have a weak upper octave. We generally have good command of the lower, as you demonstrated, but our upper octave needs to be improved upon. What you did is exactly what I do. I hurry through the tougher parts to hide the fact that I can't play those notes as well as I should. So do what Micheal said to do. Slow down and work on consistant tempo, clarity and articulation(especially when your in the upper octave). But I'm sure you've heard that before and I take in mind the fact that you were trying to play as fast as you could, just to see if you could play that fast.

Once again I say congragulations and keep up the good work.

Jack Murphy

p.s. What kind of flute is that?
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

That is the 6-key M&E "split-front" flute from Michael Cronnolly.

Thanks for the kind comments!

--James
http://www.flutesite.com
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

I thought your fluting was great. I played it over a few times, tapping my foot to the rythm. I didn't notice much of a timing problem for the pace, but what might make it sound like a timing problem is the breathing pattern. I was always told to carry the breath through the first note or two of the next measure and I heard you do it only once. When you try to take a breath inbetween the notes of each measure it sounds like you want to end the last note of one measure a little soon just to get started with the next one on time. And so the timing illusion. Breathing right is a hard habit to learn, it just comes with practice. I thought your ornaments were very good, it felt very rythmic. The timing was okay considering the fast pace. For playing solo, with no other musicians or timing device, I thought it was quite good. That's difficult for almost anyone under those circumstances. If you could do it much better you wouldn't be here reading this forum, and I'd probably be out buying tickets to your concerts.

-Lorenzo
ChrisLaughlin
antispam: No

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

James -
My two cents.
Slow down.
Also, your breathing is messing up your rhythm. Try breathing in the middle of a phrase instead of at the end. Pick an expendable note in the phrase and drop it, taking a breath instead, using the breath as a rhythmic ornament. When you take your breath at the end of the phrase you end up interrupting the rhythm of the tune.
Sooo.... slow down and focus on rhythm. Without rhythm nothing else matters.
Best,
Chris
claudine
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Hi, I am a choir singer from Luxembourg trying to get back to Irish flute playing after a few years of absence from ITM.

Post by claudine »

On 2002-07-28 19:15, ChrisLaughlin wrote:
Without rhythm nothing else matters.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing, yeah :wink:
carrie

Post by carrie »

James,

Congratulations on your epiphany! Though I've been whistling for a while, I am a beginning flute player, having played for only a couple of months now. I have the good fortune to take lessons from John Williams and I understand the gratitude you feel for your teacher. Even with such good guidance, I know the frustrations of trying to pull everything together, and the soaring joy of a breakthrough, however modest. (I just had one: "Oh, I don't have to blow so HARD!")I think your clip sounded terrific. Keep it up, and thanks for the inspiration.

Carol
gcollins

Post by gcollins »

Right on!

All I can say is if you feel great...the flute, the teacher, the music has breathed new life into you. Inspiration!

Please, someone, tell me: what else is there in life?
CraigMc

Post by CraigMc »

Congrats James!

I think your ornamentation is crackin!

Ornaments are very rythmic and clear. Overall rythm could be better. I appreciate people who are brave and kind enough to post because it really gives me (as a beginner) a vision of the steps we take and a better view of how I can make progress. Keep up the good work.

- Craig