Switching flutes

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Gabriel
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Switching flutes

Post by Gabriel »

Heya folks,

being inspired by the purchase etiquette thread, I wonder about the reasons of people to switch their 'main' flutes (in case they have a 'main' flute of course), i.e. buy new and sell old ones.

I played a kind-of selfmade plumwood flute until I decided to order a new one, mainly because I wanted a louder, session-capable instrument (and keys). After incidentally meeting Maurice Reviol and trying some of his flutes, I decided to get one from him since I was truly delighted about them. After receiving it half a year later I don't think that I'll ever need another one (in D :D). But I guess that most people have thoughts like this and order a new one and sell the old anyhow, maybe even decades later. Maybe others don't.

I'd be happy to read your stories!

Best,
Gabriel
Sillydill
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Sillydill »

Hey Gabriel,

What can I say, I AM A FLUTE PHILANDERER! :D

I am not a musician, seeking to express himself in music. Hence I do not see a flute as a tool.
I am a flute nut, seeking to explore and understand the world of wooden flutes. I’m not after the “Best” flute, nor am I looking for a panacea flute, I seek enlightenment!

I don’t ever think of it as owning a flute. I am simply a steward caring and tending to them till they bring joy to another. Though I confess to freely buying, selling and trading them. :moreevil: I’ve now had the privilege of getting to know over 60 different wooden flutes.

Does my obsession with wooden flutes stand in stark contrast to your own? :really:

All the Best!

Jordan
michael_coleman
Tell us something.: I play the first flute Jon Cochran ever made but haven't been very active on the board the last 9-10 years. Life happens I guess...I owned a keyed M&E flute for a while and I kind of miss it.

Post by michael_coleman »

The grass is always greener....
You can't always get what you want...
?
rh

Post by rh »

Sillydill wrote:I don’t ever think of it as owning a flute. I am simply a steward caring and tending to them till they bring joy to another. Though I confess to freely buying, selling and trading them. :moreevil: I’ve now had the privilege of getting to know over 60 different wooden flutes.
this is known on some other instrument boards as "catch and release"... :lol:
there is no end to the walking
Coffee

Post by Coffee »

So what kind of lure do you use for flute fishing?
"Yes... yes. This is a fertile land, and we will thrive. We will rule over all this land, and we will call it... This Land."
Sillydill

Post by Sillydill »

$$$ :lol:
Sillydill

Post by Sillydill »

And a really big net!

WWW.

:lol:
John Gribble

Post by John Gribble »

It's a suitable substitute to polygamy.
John Gribble
gribblej@gol.com
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I tried a few flutes initially till I found one I clicked with. Then once I felt I had the chops to give a few flutes their due, I wanted to try several by a variety of makers so that I could get the best flute for me. Over the last couple of years I've procured a few flutes, but these are different. I've gotten flutes in multiple keys, and I've gotten some traversos and another one-key Irish flute. I have one more flute on order, a Rottenburgh with two midsections from Peter Noy. I'll likely offer on a Cameron (heck, I offered on one yesterday), either a Grenser or Rottenburgh model. And as I just recalled in another post, my wife is on the list for a fully keyed slideless Olwell.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

Well, interesting thread. I kind of side with Sillydill, as far as being steward to the flutes. For me it is kind of like a huge orphan house, with some rich kids and some poor. There are several flutes that I could say, "this is the one for me". Of course I could always make one for myself, but somehow they always get sold.
My favorite flute at the moment is my Blackman and Fentums, but the other 20 are nice also...
Interesting the analogy of it being a alterative to polygamy, my great great grandfather Heber C. Kimbal had 46 wives and 64 kids, so I guess I need to get a few more flutes to match him! :oops:
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
sbhikes

Post by sbhikes »

I don't have multiple flutes -- yet. I will likely get another flute in the future to replace the one I have on order if I grow my skills or my needs beyond its capabilities. This first flute is a gift to myself to start a new skill and find something fun to do. The second one will be a gift to myself for my progress.
~Diane

My Credentials as a rank beginner on the flute
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Cofaidh wrote:So what kind of lure do you use for flute fishing?
Soooooo..... To Spoonerise inanely, with all this talk of fish, should we rename this site Fish and Chipple? (British joke????) Mind you, I dread to think what chippling a flute might entail! (Yes, that was deliberate...almost...) Tippling (saving Doug's presence) OK; chippling...... sounds a bit Kronospan! (Of MDF infamy.) Drastic!
greenspiderweb

Post by greenspiderweb »

Gabriel wrote:Heya folks, being inspired by the purchase etiquette thread, I wonder about the reasons of people to switch their 'main' flutes (in case they have a 'main' flute of course), i.e. buy new and sell old ones.

...After incidentally meeting Maurice Reviol and trying some of his flutes, I decided to get one from him since I was truly delighted about them. After receiving it half a year later I don't think that I'll ever need another one (in D :D)
. But I guess that most people have thoughts like this and order a new one and sell the old anyhow, maybe even decades later. Maybe others don't. I'd be happy to read your stories!

Best,
Gabriel
I don't think of myself as a caretaker of flutes, or a flute-sitter, but rather, I'm on a quest to find what different flutes have to offer, and how they play, and for a tone that I love to hear.

Some fluters are focused on tunes and the music, others are focused on tone and playability, and some are blessed to be able to combine the two and be happy with what they find, and are glad just to be making music!

I think we all have our own roads to travel, to find a flute that inspires us to play and practice, and one that plays the best in our own hands. As Cocus said recently, we're all on the same path, it's just that we're on different points along the way.

If you've found "your flute" early along the way, then you probably are either lucky, or more music driven. But, any way you look at it, our flute quests are an individual thing that we all have to tailor to our own needs and desires.

Hey, I'm down to three beautiful flutes now, and I'm pretty darned happy too!

If you're having having fun and stay inspired, then that's all that really matters, isn't it?
~~~~
Barry
greenspiderweb

Post by greenspiderweb »

double post edited
Last edited by greenspiderweb on Thu Jun 21, 2007 5:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
Blackbeer

Post by Blackbeer »

Well as you know Jordan, I am a one flute kinda guy :boggle:
It's funny, I remember years ago a long and intense thread on whether or not to stick to one flute. I couldn't do it then and I sure can't do it now. My flutes all have a little something different to say and I have the pleasure of being the sole recipient of their offerings. I have traded flutes and sold them and for a while tried to justify it to myself by telling myself that I was in surch of the ONE. All bull. I love the darn things. I will never be a flute player realy but I do love the noise I get out of them. And to my mind, when I am, say playing my darn nere 200 year old Pelubett, or my darn nere 150 year old BS I can't help but think about who else played these beauties and what beautiful sounds they must have gotten out of them. Jon C. worked his magic on both of them and no I would'nt part with them. I still dig out my first wooden flute, my rose wood Dixon, and I still love it. And my bamboo Williams and my Pratten impover picalo and my dang whistles to. Who's obsessed :lol:
Sometimes I wish I could be a dedicated musition(?) but hell I'm too old to be dedicated to much other then breathing and getting up in the morning. But hey I sure do love hearing all you play so much good music.

Take care

Tom