Posting clips

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
jemtheflute
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by jemtheflute »

monkey587 wrote:It doesn't appeal to me. A piece like this, especially a solo & unaccompanied, needs to create a sense of space to really work*. I listened to this track several times today, and I confess that it took me a few times to figure out that the air and the reel were connected.
Thanks for that William - I know what you mean about the "space" thing - and that is something I can usefully work on within the general context of how I approach the piece. Also interesting that it wasn't immediately apparent that the air and the faster section were the same tune - seems incredibly obvious that they are from behind the instrument, and even listening back to myself, but then, one knows as a performer what one is using as raw material and where it is going to go - but not how that comes across to a listener.

Thanks, everyone - I've enjoyed this-evening doing this - and feel I've got quite a bit out of it! (Is that sad? Internet geek..... aaaaargh!). I really need to go have a snack and get off to bed. Cheers!
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
monkey587

Post by monkey587 »

Here's one I recorded this evening, Music in the Glen, complete with mistakes. Lately I have been inspired by the rhythm of Josie McDermott, and have been trying to incorporate that swing into my playing.
William Bajzek
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

monkey587 wrote:Here's one I recorded this evening, Music in the Glen, complete with mistakes. Lately I have been inspired by the rhythm of Josie McDermott, and have been trying to incorporate that swing into my playing.
Nice playing, William, and certainly swings - though I haven't the faintest what Josie McDermott sounds/ed like. I take it that was a reel? I'm not being arch here at all, but it seemed to me that, at least for the first time through the tune, you were consistently breath pushing on every beat - 4 times a bar, not one of the patterns you explained before. Later on you vary the amount and placement of pushes. That is NOT a criticism, just an observation in the light of yesterday's discussion - almost like a fast, nearly "straight" rhythm hornpipe similar to how The Teetotaller or Green Gates sometimes get played (I believe there is even sometimes controversy over whether Teetotaller is a reel or a hornpipe? But then, following up one of Diane's links yesterday, I saw Out on the Ocean listed as a slide when I have always thought of it as a double jig!!!!). Of course, the hornpipe/reel crossover is an awkward point anyway - you can play just about any reel as a dotted rhythm hornpipe (not saying one would want to, just that it's technically possible), and whether particular hornpipes are played straight or dotted varies from player to player or by local tradition; equally some hornpipes can be speeded and smoothed up into reel feel...... and anyway, the note pairs in a reel aren't meant to be totally equal, at least according to Alan Ng (Alan Ng's Irish Tune Info).
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

ImNotIrish wrote:Hey all,
here's a tune I wrote a while back called 'the moth in the lantern.' A quick one off as I just got home. I was trying to not 'blow my brains out' Jem, though it may sound otherwise.

Arbo

http://www.box.net/shared/of5hv9bbki
Certainly not blowing your brains out, Arbo - much more relaxed sounding and better on that front. Still a bit jerky on the phrasing though. The first time through I found it a little hard to make out all of the melody amongst the ornaments which were perhaps too dominant in places (OK, another "pot and kettle" moment!), but that got better - sounds like a nice tune. Fancy sharing the dots/abc?

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
monkey587

Post by monkey587 »

jemtheflute wrote:
monkey587 wrote:Here's one I recorded this evening, Music in the Glen, complete with mistakes. Lately I have been inspired by the rhythm of Josie McDermott, and have been trying to incorporate that swing into my playing.
Nice playing, William, and certainly swings - though I haven't the faintest what Josie McDermott sounds/ed like. I take it that was a reel? I'm not being arch here at all, but it seemed to me that, at least for the first time through the tune, you were consistently breath pushing on every beat - 4 times a bar, not one of the patterns you explained before. Later on you vary the amount and placement of pushes. That is NOT a criticism, just an observation in the light of yesterday's discussion - almost like a fast, nearly "straight" rhythm hornpipe similar to how The Teetotaller or Green Gates sometimes get played (I believe there is even sometimes controversy over whether Teetotaller is a reel or a hornpipe? But then, following up one of Diane's links yesterday, I saw Out on the Ocean listed as a slide when I have always thought of it as a double jig!!!!). Of course, the hornpipe/reel crossover is an awkward point anyway - you can play just about any reel as a dotted rhythm hornpipe (not saying one would want to, just that it's technically possible), and whether particular hornpipes are played straight or dotted varies from player to player or by local tradition; equally some hornpipes can be speeded and smoothed up into reel feel...... and anyway, the note pairs in a reel aren't meant to be totally equal, at least according to Alan Ng (Alan Ng's Irish Tune Info).
I did play it with 4 pulse and you could say it was swung like a hornpipe but I don't think it's quite the same swing as a hornpipe. It's different from how I played my last set, and I probably overdid it, as it's something new (to me) that I am trying out. I think it gives the rhythm more shape than the typical even rhythm that most people play.

Josie McDermott's album "Darby's Farewell" is an absolute classic, one that I keep coming back to and it never loses its freshness. One of the tracks can be heard on WFO1 and there are several available on the flute geezers website

Alan Ng's rhythm info is useful but it's no substitute for listening to as much music as possible and training your ears. There's a million "right" ways to play ITM (which doesn't mean that every way is right) and for every generalization about it that you might make, there's some undeniably pure drop trad player who has already contradicted it.
William Bajzek
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

monkey587 wrote: Alan Ng's rhythm info is useful but it's no substitute for listening to as much music as possible and training your ears. There's a million "right" ways to play ITM (which doesn't mean that every way is right) and for every generalization about it that you might make, there's some undeniably pure drop trad player who has already contradicted it.
Sure - and that's how I take it/such things. Unless one is actually in a specific traditional context, that is surely what we all do to varying degrees - listen to lots, read things, pick up bits of repertory and technique and style either subconsciously or consciously as they take our fancy and build our own "million-and-oneth" way. Some of us do that more deliberately/consciously/systematically than others.

I have got WFO I, II & III, so I'll have that track you mention - just I don't listen to those CDs much - there is so much on them and the quality and taste is so variable - I use them more as a (great) resource to dip into..... and I certainly can't remember who-the-devil is on 'em!

Just listened to your "last one" - although I agree you achieve quite a different feel between the two clips, there is actually quite a strong 4 push pulse most of the way through that too, but without the "lean" in it. it seems to me that you are doing in reels something similar to what I have received previous criticism for in jigs - constantly push-emphasising the beat, especially the on-beat - to an obtrusive extent.

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Tirno

Post by Tirno »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YofnGHHfNJg - two jigs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgh5t-bq6eo - scottische (French composition)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRc4qDJ-Xy8 - mazurka (French composition)

Any comments/criticism would be greatly appreciated
ImNotIrish

Post by ImNotIrish »

Jem and William's recent discussion regarding pulse/beats led me to submit this version of Col. McBain's reel. I know I play it in a non-traditional sort of way, but I am curious to get some feedback as to whether or not I am playing it syncopated, like a hornpipe perhaps, or something else. Thanks for listening.
Arbo

http://www.box.net/shared/k6na8ligok
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

I don't think you are doing any syncopation in that, Arbo - that means playing across the beat, the half beat emphasised as if it were the on-beat with notes held across the main pulse beats. There are some triplet figures that you don't play quite in time - you seem to start them slightly ahead of the beat and then take a little too long over them so the rhythm falters - if you were playing to a metronome, you would "lose" it at those points and fall behind. Otherwise, you do a lot of emphasising the off-beat (2nd and 4th in the bar) with pushes. It doesn't feel at all hornpipey to me, just rather jerky reel with too many pushed emphases, some in strange places.
Last edited by jemtheflute on Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Tirno wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YofnGHHfNJg - two jigs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgh5t-bq6eo - scottische (French composition)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRc4qDJ-Xy8 - mazurka (French composition)

Any comments/criticism would be greatly appreciated
OK Tirno - thanks for contributing. It would be helpful to know a bit more about you - how long have you been playing, how are you learning, what are your flutes, what is your musical background.....?

You are making a really good sound on both the instruments. Do I see keyless delrin and 8-keyed German? Very promising playing. In the jigs and the mazurka your confidence failed at points and you partially "fell off" the tunes with fingering and/or timing going astray, but did well to keep going. I think you need to work on getting more thoroughly familiar with your material - get pieces properly learnt by heart so you can play them confidently with continuity - and you'll be great! (That said, I know from painful experience how difficult it can be to put down a recording even of a piece one knows very well without mistakes creeping in!) You've got the basic techniques well in hand - it's the performance that you need to improve. Good stuff.
BTW, I'm not suggesting frozen stillness, and I know you are just reacting to the pulse of the music, but your constant rocking makes the videos kinda hard to watch....... wouldn't be a problem with sound clips!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Tirno

Post by Tirno »

Woops... yes, introductions! I knew I forgot something important :)

So err... You (Jem) know me as Gregory and you sold me a the 8 key. I completely forgot you wouldn't associate me with "Tirno" :D The other flute is blackwood, made by François Baubet who is currently living in Ennis.

I've been learning tin whistle for just over two years now. I took up the flute about a year ago with some PVC home made ones and six months ago I felt like buying a "real" flute. Two months ago I felt like buying a keyed flute - better for playing French tunes in C and Amin. I started from a musical nowhere - I am still mostly unable to sing in tune.

I share my musical "pursuits" between Irish, Breton and French traditional music and am very much involved in the French "bal folk" scene - the result of a revivalist music in the 70s. At the moment, this is not especially beneficial to my learning. I don't concentrate enough on any one thing :/

I'm mainly self-taught. I get the tunes through a mixture of sheetmusic and ear. I have been taking bi-monthly "irish flute and tin whistle" group lessons for just over a year. I've also been trying out Harry Bradley's distant flute lessons, but I've had too little time to practice the specifically Irish stuff, so I've been very remiss in doing this regularly (2 lessons so far). I hope you can hear some of his influence in the Jig at some points. I intend to do this more regularly.

Yes... getting through three times without crashing. I need to learn to do this. And it's true that I tend to play tunes that are recently learnt, which explains some but not all the fumbling. Sorry about the rocking. I wasn't happy about the "groove" of the scottische, so I started doing the dance steps to be more "into it". I then forgot to stop :)
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Greg/Tirno - !!!! Welcome again - you really are making a great sound on the flute I sold you! I'm happy it's in such good hands and being well made use of! I ought to have recognised it! I plead bad light.....

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
mahanpots
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Two reels or a hornpipe and a reel?

Post by mahanpots »

I believe the names of these tunes are "If there weren't any women in the world" and "Money musk." I first heard them on a Hammy Hamilton website. I play them on my Casey Burn's Folk flute, mopane.

Tirno: I think you ought to dance some more, might be an added feature of performing, dancing and playing at the same time. I'll bet it's been done.

Michael

http://www.box.net/shared/56axymvwws
Tchie

Post by Tchie »

Sorry but I write him in French...

Salut Tino, je t'ai croise qqes fois aux festou-noz/bals vers région Rhone-alpes. Bien evidemment tu es passionne par la flute traversiere en
bois et tu avais meme essaie ma flute, souviens-tu?
(je suis une japonaise)

Felicitation pour le son et je te encourage de suivre qqes stages car moi aussi, j'ai ete auto-didacte au debut.

Cela te faire pas seulement apprendre des techiniques et des repartoires mais aussi des styles des les autres qui pourra etre interresant pour toi.

Tu joues tres bien pour ton niveau donc continue!!
mahanpots

two flutes

Post by mahanpots »

There's some discussion on the topic of Olwell flutes that addresses lined and unlined heads. So, I thought I'd record two tunes, once on my Olwell (lined) and once on my folkflute (unlined). I like the sound of the folkflute. I'm just wondering if everyone can tell which is which on the recording.

Michael

http://www.box.net/shared/4ml8aoqroc