DO NOT GO TO DOC'S IRISH FLUTE STORE WEBSITE !

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
michael c
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by michael c »

Now I know what Sam Murray was doing in Galway Post Office the other week. Good luck with the flutes over the sheugh. They've certainly kept many of us entertained over here for years, as has Mr. Murray himself. (He might be looking for a day off on the 16th next month but we promise not to keep him away from the lathe too long).
Feadin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Feadin »

Doc Jones wrote:
monkey587 wrote:
dow wrote: Hmm... loads perfectly for me. I'm running Firefox 2.0.0.3.
I have that version on both my winXP machine at work and my mac at home, and even with javascript and java disabled, the main page of the site crashes the browser.

Sorry Doc, you've got a great service and I've enjoyed dealing with you, but I wish you'd fix this!

Hi Monkey,

I wouldn't begin to know how to fix it I'm afraid. If you (or anyone else) knows of something an Idaho hick could manage to fix it let me know. :)

Doc
Doc,

Technically a web site shouldn't be able to crash a browser (not even intentionally), so the problem is on the client computer.

Hope the new redesigned site looks as nice as this one, I love the simplicity of the current style without heavy stuff like flash or java :)
Cristian Feldman
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Sillydill wrote:Hey Cat,

You are amazing! You must just have a natural magnetism to Murrays!
I was wondering if that was your point. ;)

C'mon, Jordan, make some time for your recent acquisitions!

PS -- I'm running Firefox and haven't had any problem with Doc's site on two different pewters.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
sbhikes
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by sbhikes »

I'm a web developer. I looked at your code. There are a lot of errors, but I can't see how they would cause the browser to crash. Also, I was able to visit the site on my Mac with Firefox without trouble.

Anyway, to attempt a small cleanup, you might try seeing if you can rename your home page image so that it has no spaces in the file name. The browser may be having difficulty with that, especially since the file name has more than one space in a row and your image tag doesn't encode the spaces.

Also, regarding the coding errors, you might try to see if your coffeecup editor has a code validation or code cleanup feature. Perhaps if you can clean up the errors the page won't crash. You've got some rather strange errors, such as the body tag being inside a table, plus a lot of extra tags with nothing in them. I don't think these would cause crashing but cleaning things up helps remove that from possibility, and clean code gets you better search engine rankings.

Finally, just for usability, you should change the left nagivation links to target "parent", not "_parent". Then they will open within the main content area. If this works in Internet Explorer, that is only because it has issues with ignoring the underscore character.

Good luck!

~ Diane
Jim Troy

Post by Jim Troy »

was the warning directed at people with FA syndrome ?
cause the site loads up perfectly for me
Doc Jones
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Doc Jones »

sbhikes wrote:I'm a web developer. I looked at your code. There are a lot of errors, but I can't see how they would cause the browser to crash. Also, I was able to visit the site on my Mac with Firefox without trouble.

Anyway, to attempt a small cleanup, you might try seeing if you can rename your home page image so that it has no spaces in the file name. The browser may be having difficulty with that, especially since the file name has more than one space in a row and your image tag doesn't encode the spaces.

Also, regarding the coding errors, you might try to see if your coffeecup editor has a code validation or code cleanup feature. Perhaps if you can clean up the errors the page won't crash. You've got some rather strange errors, such as the body tag being inside a table, plus a lot of extra tags with nothing in them. I don't think these would cause crashing but cleaning things up helps remove that from possibility, and clean code gets you better search engine rankings.

Finally, just for usability, you should change the left nagivation links to target "parent", not "_parent". Then they will open within the main content area. If this works in Internet Explorer, that is only because it has issues with ignoring the underscore character.

Good luck!

~ Diane
Thanks Diane I know the code is a bit sloppy. I mean, you'd think a some old cow vet wrote it or something. :lol:

I'll do the things you mentioned. THanks much. :D

Doc
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School