Casey Burns FF owners?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
sbhikes
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Casey Burns FF owners?

Post by sbhikes »

I am anxiously awaiting my CB folk flute. I've searched this forum for any mention of the CB folk flute and have never heard anything bad and have never seen any for sale listings. I figure it must be a good flute if nobody parts with it.

Anybody who has one care to comment? Have you enjoyed it? Are you still playing it? Was it easy to play? Did it help you learn being ergonomic and all that? Do you think you sound nice playing it? Do you play it alone or with or for other people? Do you play only fast/ornamenty stuff or do you play music with notes so sweet you want to cry?

Today I went to a festival and listened to a man playing those Peruvian pipes (that was cool!) and some kind of wooden fipple flute. He was the star of the show and got the most applause even though the singer took front and center. I couldn't help but hear the similarity between his style on the fipple flute and the Irish style. He played similar ornaments and the quality of the flute sound was so much like an Irish flute--woody and sweet. I can't wait! It will be my first Irish flute.
crookedtune
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by crookedtune »

Well congrats to you! It's exciting to be awaiting a new instrument, especially when it's as good a one as you have coming. I don't have a Folk Flute, but have played one, and it was very nice. Based on that, I ended up buying a Burns 'large-holed ergonomic standard'. All of Casey's flutes share a similar design, and they suit me very well. I'm sure you'll be happy with the flute, not matter what style(s) you end up playing. Enjoy!!! :party:
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
Doc Jones

Post by Doc Jones »

I've played dozens of them. They are extraordiarily consistent.
Really as lovely a critter a fellow could hope to toot! You'll love it!

The tough part will be finding something you like lots better when you have more money to spend. :wink:

Doc
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
John Gribble

Post by John Gribble »

I've had my Casey Burns FF for almost a year now and I continue to enjoy it very much. I was on the Olympic Peninsula in March and was able to take it to him in person for a little overhaul, which he did while we waited. I had the opportunity to play some of the other instruments in the shop. I fell in love with a boxwood R & R. That will be my next "big" flute. It was wonderful.

And he's a great guy, full of talk on marine paleontology and gypsy jazz guitar, along with the issues of flute-making and playing.

I'm a hobby player, still pretty much a beginner on winds. I'm not so much into ITM as folk musics generally. When I play with others, it is usually on stringed instruments (guitar, five string banjo, some mandolin).

The Burns is easy to sound, especially in the lower range and has a deeply satisfying tone. You'll love it.
John Gribble
gribblej@gol.com
Feadin

Post by Feadin »

I have a CB Folk Flute, and it's my first flute too. I've been playing low and high whistle and wanted to start with flute, so I bought this beauty from Doc Jones (www.irishflutestore.com) a couple of months ago. It's a very nice flute, the reach is very easy, even when compared with my Burke Viper Low D whistle. It smells nice and has a sweet sound. I'm just starting so I can't really play it very well yet, still working on the embouchure; but a musician friend of mine tried it and the sound is fantastic!
I'm sure you will like it :)
Cristian Feldman
Craig Stuntz

Re: Casey Burns FF owners?

Post by Craig Stuntz »

sbhikes wrote:Anybody who has one care to comment? Have you enjoyed it? Are you still playing it? Was it easy to play? Did it help you learn being ergonomic and all that? Do you think you sound nice playing it? Do you play it alone or with or for other people? Do you play only fast/ornamenty stuff or do you play music with notes so sweet you want to cry?
I have one. I love it. It's difficult to play, but no harder than any other flute I tried; the flute is just a subtle instrument. I like the ergonomic pattern, but holding the thing is still something I'm working on; it's much less easy to hold "right" than the whistle. I play it alone and with other beginners. I play all sorts of music.

The long and the short of it is that the FF is an incredible bargain, but no easier to play than any other flute; there's simply no substitute that I've found for hard work, lots of listening, and lots of practice.
sbhikes wrote:Today I went to a festival and listened to a man playing those Peruvian pipes (that was cool!) and some kind of wooden fipple flute.
Quena, perhaps? I just bought one. They're a lot of fun, but playing it screws up my flute embouchure. :)

-Craig
sbhikes

Post by sbhikes »

I am not sure if that was a Quena or not. I wasn't sitting too close to the front, and it had the appearance that he was putting a fipple in his mouth, not blowing across a notch.

I looked at Quena's online and now I want one of those, too! But I think I want to try to make one. We have timber bamboo growing in the yard. I wonder how long it takes to dry if I cut a branch. We have jacaranda, too. I had no idea it made such pretty wood.
pipersgrip

Post by pipersgrip »

i am waiting too, i ordered it a while ago, so it should be here soon.
"In prayer, it is better to have a heart without words, than words without a heart." John Bunyan
sbhikes

Post by sbhikes »

Our flutes will be siblings, WC.
Doc Jones

Post by Doc Jones »

John Gribble wrote: .....I had the opportunity to play some of the other instruments in the shop. I fell in love with a boxwood R & R. That will be my next "big" flute. It was wonderful.
Oh no! You shouldn't have done that. Now you'll be ruined for every other flute out there.

There is something magic about a Burns boxwood Rudall...the ultimate in warm, complex, buttery wonderfulness...sublime.

Doc
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
Dana

Post by Dana »

Doc Jones wrote:
John Gribble wrote: .....I had the opportunity to play some of the other instruments in the shop. I fell in love with a boxwood R & R. That will be my next "big" flute. It was wonderful.
Oh no! You shouldn't have done that. Now you'll be ruined for every other flute out there.

There is something magic about a Burns boxwood Rudall...the ultimate in warm, complex, buttery wonderfulness...sublime.
Yeah, anyone got one (Rudall or Standard) for sale? Especially a small-hands version? Send PM.

Dana
Last edited by Dana on Thu May 31, 2007 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Me too. I don't want a small hands model or necessarily
a Rudall. Jim
Dana

Post by Dana »

Hey, me first. I WANT BOXWOOD! Maybe I'll have to order it the old-fashioned way. I'm looking for a quick fix. :D
pipersgrip

Post by pipersgrip »

sbhikes wrote:Our flutes will be siblings, WC.
they sure will, made out of the same batch. sweet. 8)
"In prayer, it is better to have a heart without words, than words without a heart." John Bunyan
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

OK, OK, Dana first, folks!