How to restore mirror finish to a bore?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Denny
antispam: No

Post by Denny »

Cubitt wrote:
Denny wrote:breathe dear :wink:
I like that. Can I use it?
'spose...wouldn't be the same, eh
Cubitt
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Cubitt »

Denny wrote:
Cubitt wrote:
I like that. Can I use it?
Oh, I don't know. I like having a repertoire of apt phrases. To heck with originality - it's timing that counts.
"In times of trial, swearing often provides a solace denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain
Denny

Post by Denny »

Cubitt wrote:
Denny wrote:
Cubitt wrote: I like that. Can I use it?
Oh, I don't know. I like having a repertoire of apt phrases. To heck with originality - it's timing that counts.
ya don't have to jump right in proving my points for me, ya know...
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Kinky, very kinky. I like that.
Denny

Post by Denny »

aw, ya know he just doesn't have it in him to say it with luv and a smile... :D
jemtheflute
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by jemtheflute »

Isn't that an A.A. Milne quote, or at least paraphrase? Kanga to Roo? It's too late and I'm too lazy to go check, but it sure reminds me of something, and I'm fairly sure it was in "Pooh".

Nice effect anyway - exquisite timing, I concur, and such .good advice to flute players! :boggle:
Jumbuk

Post by Jumbuk »

Just to go back to the original post, I am wondering how you could get a build up of nicotine? Even if the user was a smoker, it's not as though he/she would be using the flute as a cigarette holder? (is it?). As an ex-smoker (30 years ago), I would have thought there would be minimal nicotine and other stuff on your breath unless you took a puff just before playing and blew smoke into the flute. Would make an interesting sight, though!
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

Quite so. Particularly with all the condensate that usually drips out the bore and is swabbed out (or should be) after playing. Staining in the bore is more likely to be dried-in oil. Can't say my Hamilton ever had a 'mirror finish' in the bore even from day 1, though it looked shiny enough fresh-coated with almond oil. The first swabbing out usually dulled it down though.
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
pmcallis

Post by pmcallis »

Hi Jumbuk and Gary,
The flute is in great shape but perhaps the previous owner - a smoker - did not oil the flute often. If you have ever washed the walls and ceiling of a room whose occupant is a smoker, you'll know what I mean by a nicotine film.
To get back to the flute, when I initially received and oiled it, I noticed some flakes of a brown/yellow substance on the swab. I took this as evidence of a nicotine coating on the bore. Hence my question about "buffing the bore" to restore the original finish and get rid of any nicotine coating.
Come to think of it, Gary, you are right. My other Hammy does not have a mirror, glassy finish on the bore.
thanks for the input,
Paul
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

pmcallis wrote: To get back to the flute, when I initially received and oiled it, I noticed some flakes of a brown/yellow substance on the swab. I took this as evidence of a nicotine coating on the bore. Hence my question about "buffing the bore" to restore the original finish and get rid of any nicotine coating.
That sounds much more like the previous owner maybe used a drying oil, linseed perhaps?
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
pmcallis

Post by pmcallis »

I saw Hammy over the weekend in Toronto. He took a look at the bore and said it was fine. He played it for a minute (what a sound!!) and said the flute was in great shape. He also told me to move the tuning cork back to 20 mm. instead of the 25 mm. where I moved it . Geez, I hate flute makers who know the sound their flutes produce so well.
P. :)
Jack Bradshaw

Post by Jack Bradshaw »

A little late on the reply, but, I've had several "nicotine" old timers.....my favorite remedy is a couple bore wipes w/ hydrogen peroxide......followed by (my favorite) hazelnut oil.........or your own favorite :D
603/329-7322
"I fail to see why doing the same thing over and over and getting the
same results every time is insanity: I've almost proved it isn't;
only a few more tests now and I'm sure results will differ this time ... "
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

Jack Bradshaw wrote:.....my favorite remedy is a couple bore wipes w/ hydrogen peroxide......followed by (my favorite) hazelnut oil.........or your own favorite :D
Ah! T-Stoff! Best not confuse the hazelnut oil with Z-Stoff unless you're converting your flute to a Messerschmitt Me 163 or a torpedo!