Jack Gilder "Garden of Butterflies" Jodies Heaven

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Gaaslaj
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm selling a whistle, I'm a long-time member, thanks, John. Looks like I need more words, wow, really hard to update this, not sure what else to write, hope this is enough.

Jack Gilder "Garden of Butterflies" Jodies Heaven

Post by Gaaslaj »

Anyone know what kinda flute he's playing? Thanks, J.
Blackwood

Post by Blackwood »

Jack plays a Grinter.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Of which he thinks well.
Gaaslaj
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm selling a whistle, I'm a long-time member, thanks, John. Looks like I need more words, wow, really hard to update this, not sure what else to write, hope this is enough.

Grinter

Post by Gaaslaj »

Thanks! He makes it sound really good, J.
jGilder
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Jack Gilder "Garden of Butterflies" Jodies Hea

Post by jGilder »

Gaaslaj wrote:Anyone know what kinda flute he's playing? Thanks, J.
Hi, sorry for getting to this so late. I do play a Grinter now, but I wasn't at the time I made that recording. It so happens that the flute I was playing was the exact model and maker that Grinter based his design on. It's a Ruddal & Rose made by Wylde.

I've had this flute since 1983 but it was in woeful condition. Back in 1996 I showed it to Kevin Crawford and told him how I wished I could go back in time and buy the flute new from Wylde and return to the present day with a new flute. When Kevin first went to Australia he was approached by Grinter who offered to make him a flute, and Kevin took him up on his offer. Kevin was on his first tour with Lunasa at the time and the next stop after Australia was SF. He remembered my Ruddal & Rose and realized Grinter’s flute was a reproduction of it. When I saw him here in SF he handed me the flute to see what I thought of it. I said, "Wow... where did you find one in such perfect shape?" Kevin remembered my wish about my flute and said, "I think your wish is about to come true." Kevin told me the story about Grinter and said he was delighted with the flute and told me he hadn't put it down since receiving it. I went straight home and ordered one... 6 months later I had it in my hands. My original Ruddal & Rose is with Grinter now awaiting restoration. But as far as all this relates to your query regarding the flute on the recording I made; you could say that I used a 150-year-old Grinter I suppose.

P.S. Thanks for the kind words about my playing.