The Tipple-Fajardo Wedge

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Thomas-Hastay
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

The Tipple-Fajardo Wedge

Post by Thomas-Hastay »

http://dougsflutes.googlepages.com/thet ... jardowedge

Has anyone used this device? and if so,what did you think? Is it more effective than a Sanders Spike?(an intrusive conical spike used as a headjoint plug). These devices are supposed to compensate for acoustic faults in headjoint designs, but how effective are they???
"The difference between Genius and stupidity, is that Genius has its limits" (Albert Einstein)
thomashastay@yahoo.com
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

I use Tipple's version of the wedge in my D Tipple, (as do many here). To my ear intonation is about the same, (good), but the overall sound is a bit more complex and wooden-flute-like. Once I decided I liked the sound better, I glued it in. Most seem to think it's a useful device, I think.
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
Aodhan
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: The Tipple-Fajardo Wedge

Post by Aodhan »

Thomas-Hastay wrote: http://dougsflutes.googlepages.com/thet ... jardowedge

Has anyone used this device? and if so,what did you think? Is it more effective than a Sanders Spike?(an intrusive conical spike used as a headjoint plug). These devices are supposed to compensate for acoustic faults in headjoint designs, but how effective are they???
I have one in the Tipple D that I have, and it does increase the complexity of the tone quite a bit.

John
brotherwind

Tipple-Fajardo Wedge

Post by brotherwind »

I fully concur.
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

The intonation of the upper octave is a lot better with the wedge in on my Tipple C.
Easily_Deluded_Fool

Post by Easily_Deluded_Fool »

It makes the second octave easier and more sure.
I would say it makes the note more pure,
not more complex - but that's just my experience.

I used double sided tape to stick my wedges in my
cylindrical flutes.
That way I can separate the wedge if I want/need
and swab (gently) without disturbing the wedge position.
I've even got a plastic wedge in a metal cylindrical flute (Keyless!!)
and it make a difference there too.
Last edited by Easily_Deluded_Fool on Sat Mar 24, 2007 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
No whistles were harmed in the transmission of this communication.
Oreo

Post by Oreo »

I highly recommend using the wedge on keyless flutes made of pvc pipe. Tipple only recommends them for his flutes that are somewhere around the D and E sizes. (I know he didn't recommend using one on the smaller G flute.) To me, it doesn't change the tone much, but improves the intonation of the upper register a lot.

I would not recommend using it on a modern metal keyed flute. They are supposed to be in tune without that.

Oreo
koktach

Post by koktach »

From a begginer point of wiev, I don't know why, but the wedge makes it harder for me to blow a sound out of my tipple. I can get the sound with the wedge after two weeks more or less most of the time, but the first week it was a lot easier for me to blow the sound without the wedge.