Cracked lips

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Doug_Tipple
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Cracked lips

Post by Doug_Tipple »

This thread has been quiet all day, so I decided to break the silence with a question. Many players of wind instruments find themselves having difficulty playing when they have cracked or otherwise sore lips. I have been using the following product to remedy this malady. I like the SNORK design best.

However, someone recently told me about "Chopsavers". Has anyone used Chopsavers?
Jack Bradshaw
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Jack Bradshaw »

I feel like Snork right now...nose and ears blocked up.....the flute only sounds squeeky to me right now.....havn't figured out if its the breath or the ears.....or the screwed up audio feedback mechanism......Nyquil here I come....

Edit: Yup...Chapstick in my pocket...use it for cork grease as well...
Last edited by Jack Bradshaw on Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
603/329-7322
"I fail to see why doing the same thing over and over and getting the
same results every time is insanity: I've almost proved it isn't;
only a few more tests now and I'm sure results will differ this time ... "
flutey1

Post by flutey1 »

I have a tendency to apply chapstick obsessivly (as in, if I go anywhere without chapstick I pretty much die) and that seems to work. I rub it off before I play and I can then play for up to a few hours without having a problem. this stuffis my favorite at the moment. it seems to last a long time. I haven't tried chopsavers, but it seems to me that it's probably a bit of a rip-off (costs over twice as much as chapstick), but I dunno...

cheers,
Sara
cocusflute

Lip cover

Post by cocusflute »

I use Doctor Burt's Res-Q ointment, Not cheap at $5 but a tin lasts a long time and is good for other cuts and scrapes. It's great for tenon lube and has vitamin E and comfrey in it.

http://tinyurl.com/cgjvj
Hoovorff

Post by Hoovorff »

I tried Chopsaver out of curiousity. They sell it at music shops. It's fine, just glorified chapstick that costs more. I don't particularly care for the "flavor" of it. For us gals, I prefer "Kiss My Face" organic lip balm with spf 15 or Badger Balm.

Jeanie
Wormdiet

Post by Wormdiet »

Jack Bradshaw wrote:I feel like Snork right now...nose and ears blocked up.....the flute only sounds squeeky to me right now.....havn't figured out if its the breath or the ears.....or the screwed up audio feedback mechanism......Nyquil here I come....

Edit: Yup...Chapstick in my pocket...use it for cork grease as well...
Probably both.

Try blowing your nose until your ears pop, then report back to us :)

(Seriously - it works).
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
Bart Wijnen
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Bart Wijnen »

Hmm, well, I'm not familiar to the products mentioned above, don't know if I could find them in the Dutch swamps anyway. :D

A long time ago I used stuff like Labello, Blistix, even Vaseline. Sold in tube or lipstick-wise. I found out (like a lot of fellow woodwinders) that it's a sort of drug; the more you use it, the more you get addicted to it and the more it lowers the condition of your lips.

I sort of 'ignore' my lips and it truly did help me. (My marriage improved when I started to ignore my missus as well, but that could be a personal matter so don't 'follow the leader'). :lol:
Bart
Berti66

Post by Berti66 »

bart, badger balm IS available in the netherlands, try De Tuinen van... or visit their website they have addresses there, if I remember right there is also a website in dutch, the company "de rit" sells badgerbalm in netherlands.
otherwise I do use a lipbalm by the brand dr schwaab, widely availale at chemists like DA or Kruidvat.

groetjes
berti
treeshark

Post by treeshark »

Otter Fat it's the only thing that really works. :wink:
johnkerr

Post by johnkerr »

Jack Bradshaw wrote: Yup...Chapstick in my pocket...use it for cork grease as well...
Chapstick will work for cork grease, but the other way around...not so much. I found out the hard way one time when I arrived at the session and discovered I didn't have my Chapstick in my pocket. Normally I wouldn't go anywhere without it, I'm addicted to the stuff. But this day when my pocket turned up empty, I said to myself Hey, this cork grease looks just like Chapstick. It will probably work. Then I applied it to my lips, where it did no good at all, and left me feeling rather, um, greasy. That was a rough session...

Now several years ago I actually bought a couple of tubes of woodwind cork grease at a music store, and they were flavored. One cherry and one orange. What's up with that?
Aodhan

Post by Aodhan »

I use chapstick for preventive purposes, but if I get a blister or crack (Usually from playing at ren faire), carmex is the best stuff I've found for clearing it up.

John
meemtp

Post by meemtp »

Ha! I had a similar experience to John except accidental. I had my cork grease in one pocket, my Burt's Bees stuff in the other, same type of stick, feel the same. Before sitting down to play, I thought to myself..."hmm, lips feel dry, better use some balm", reached into my pocket and proceeded to apply cork grease to my lips....yeccchhh.....I've since smartened up and keep my cork grease in my flute case where it belongs.
Corin
Jennie

Post by Jennie »

Those of us with a little more surface area exposed are really, really careful in dry, cold weather. I don't obsess about the chapstick until it gets windy, but if my lips get cracked to the point of bleeding I use Abreva. Sold in a teensy weensy tube that costs over twenty bucks, but it does make healing faster. It's recommended for cold sores, which I haven't had yet.

If you get desperate and can afford it, I'd say it makes a difference.

Jennie
flutey1

Post by flutey1 »

meemtp wrote:Ha! I had a similar experience to John except accidental. I had my cork grease in one pocket, my Burt's Bees stuff in the other, same type of stick, feel the same. Before sitting down to play, I thought to myself..."hmm, lips feel dry, better use some balm", reached into my pocket and proceeded to apply cork grease to my lips....yeccchhh.....I've since smartened up and keep my cork grease in my flute case where it belongs.
hehe, I've almost done that, but have never actually gotten to the point of putting cork grease on my lips. I tend to realize it's not chapstick before I get that far :lol:
cocusflute

Bag Balm

Post by cocusflute »

Really the best is Bag Balm. It's used for raw udders on cows so it's well capable of healing our fragile lips. I find it's good for both tenons and lips.

It's also the absolute least expensive as well as being the most effective.

www.bagbalm.com

Reviewed here:
http://www.amazon.com/Bag-Balm-10-oz-Tin/dp/B0000AXJQG