How to choose a traditional flute?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
svan1212
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

How to choose a traditional flute?

Post by svan1212 »

I am trying to buy a high quality traditional flute, but I really don't know where to start looking. I'm scared to put a down payment on a flute that I have never played. One problem is that I have very small hands, and I can't really play a standard wooden flute. Are there any makers that will send you a flute to try out? If not, how do I go about finding which flute is best for me?
sAvAnNaH
eedbjp
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been on this forum for many years, just getting back into it agin in 2019.. Tried many flutes and whistles, but keep coming back to the fundamentals!

Post by eedbjp »

It will really help if you have a budget, even if it's a wide range. Also, I'm pretty sure the maker, Casey Burns (Washington State) has a flute for smaller hands. And I would consider him in the middle of the budget range, and by that I mean $750-1000) eedbjp
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Sorry that I do not know the state of Ohio all that well, but if you can go to one of the sessions in your state, I think you will find that many of the people will be able to give you much advice that will help you fit into your local playing preferences.

Check these for ohio sessions.

http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... light=ohio

At the very least you will find out about the C&F people in your area.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
tin tin
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

Post by tin tin »

Dave Copley makes fine flutes in Loveland, Ohio. A bit of a drive for you, but meeting a maker is ideal.
Also, www.irishflutestore.com will let you try before you buy. Something like McGee's Grey Larsen Preferred might fit your hands well.
svan1212

Post by svan1212 »

I have about 3ooo to spend on an instrument. I was told that most flute makers will make a flute for people with smaller hands, but it is just very hard for me to find one to play. For my silver flute, there were just so many options and chances to play on the different flutes before I decided on purchasing one, I'm not finding the same oportunities for a wooden flute. :sniffle:
sAvAnNaH
phcook

Post by phcook »

What about keys?
Breizh soner
svan1212

Post by svan1212 »

I'm not sure yet on what keys I want to add on. I know that I definitley want g# key, and probly c and f natural, but I'm not to sure yet, I don't want to go crazy and add too many. Any suggestions?
sAvAnNaH
tin tin
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

Post by tin tin »

Get blocks put on for 6 keys. (Bb, C, long/short F, Eb, G#)
You can then have the flute keyed at any point.
jtrout
Tell us something.: I play ITM on flute and whistle and enjoy the the topics on both forums. Much more civil and germaine that The Session.Org.

Post by jtrout »

You will probably only use four keys: the two F's the C, and the G#. Your decision to add the B flat and E flat keys will depend on whether you want them for resale value versus their cost and the possibility of leakage as the flute ages.
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Personally, I think the C key is truly optional, and Bb and D#/Eb are really useful if you think you'll ever use the flute for playing other than ITM.

Eric
seisflutes

Post by seisflutes »

Casey does post mounted keys so you can have whichever keys you decide you need added whenever you decide you want them. And yeah, he also does small handed flutes. I haven't tried one of them, my Burns D is the "standard" model, but I'm very happy with it.
http://caseyburnsflutes.com/
bepoq
Tell us something.: I'm just updating my profile. Actually came on to change my signature, which is out of date. I have no idea what 100 characters looks like. Is this enough perhaps?

Post by bepoq »

Doc has a superb looking firth and pond with an Abell headjoint at

http://www.irishflutestore.com/POFlutes.html

about a quarter way down the page - good for small hands - I would email him about it if I were you. - he's asking 2200 for it which I reckon is a reasonable price espec. with the two head joints.

for a flute available right now i'd say you would be unlikely to do better and he takes them back for a small fee if you don't like them - I'd drop him an email (I'd like it myself)