lube for the tuning slide

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
beowulf573
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by beowulf573 »

Can anyone suggest type of lube to use for the tuning slide on a Seery? It's fine now, but I'm sure eventually it will need it.

thanks,
Eddie

Post by Guest »

q es un "lube"? thanks :smile:
pandscarr
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by pandscarr »

I've wondered about that ... I've been using Aulos plastic recorder joint grease, which works a treat... but is it the right thing to do?

pamela
eskin

Post by eskin »

I use toilet ring wax, recommended by Michael Cronnolly... works great...
beowulf573

Post by beowulf573 »

Sorry twinsen, lube is short for lubricant.

Thanks for the replies.

Post by Guest »

Joe q majo, asias salao :wink:

How nice you were, thaks pal :wink:
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

On both the Seery and the M&E, I use silicon-based cork grease (the kind in the push up tube...I'm at work now and can't remember the brand but I'll post it when I get home).

Seems to work pretty well.

For anyone reading who doesn't know, on Irish flutes it is the "standard" to grease the tuning slide. However, on a metal flute, you should never place any kind of grease or lubricant on a metal-to-metal join.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com
ChrisA

Post by ChrisA »

A random thought...
Why don't people use machine oil on the slide? It's -meant- for lubricating metal-on-metal movement... or if it's too drippy people don't want it creeping into the bore, then bearing grease, also made for metal-on-metal movement... not, I suppose, that there's anything wrong with cork grease (which I use - sparingly - on my Ralph Sweet tenon - which is yarn-wrapped of all things - and on the heads and slides of my whistles). It does the job, but I do think it's weird that people are using lubricants that are not metal/metal formulated (though if you need cork grease for the tenons anyway, I guess it's an obvious thing to do..)

And why not grease a silver-flute slide? Is it just 'not done' or is there something actually different about the slide than those in whistles and wooden flutes? If it's just 'not done' what do you do if you're playing Irish Trad on a boehm flute? And what do you do if you're playing a silver simple-system flute or a wooden boehm-system flute?

Full of questions today, aren't I? :wink:

--Chris
ErikT

Post by ErikT »

Most metal to metal joints will both slide and seal fine without lubricant. Lubricant is usually used when one of these aspects doesn't work well. So it either helps seal or it helps slide (sometimes both). Silver on silver is a particularly fine way to go and one of the reasons that silver is a primary metal in Boehm flutes. Brass also works well. Aluminum does not and thus you will usually see a different type of joint on an aluminum instrument (it is too soft and will bind easily).

Erik
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

The main problem on the silver flute is the short tenon that connects the body to the foot joint.

Because it is very short, it is machined to fit very precisely. In fact, many new flute players think it is too tight, and they want to lubricate it.

The problem is that adding grease or other lubricants can actually make the joint bind, and can also attract dust and dirt which will wear down the tenon surface--so that suddenly, when you lease expect it, your foot joint just falls off.

On the join between the body and head it is a different story. On very fine flutes part of the resonance and responsiveness of the whole instrument comes from this join and its very precise fit.

On Irish flutes this doesn't seem to be such an issue, probably because of the thickness of the walls and the different character of its sound.

Best wishes,

--James
sturob
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by sturob »

James, are you sure it's the "norm" with Irish flutes to lubricate the slide?

I've been told by two makers not to put anything on the slide. I haven't touched the slides, and have never had a problem. Lubricants can trap dirt and cause scratches for one, and for another, if they dry out, the dirt can cause the slide to seize.

Say, how meticulous are you guys about not oiling the pads when you oil a keyed flute?

Stuart
Stuart Hall
pipes, flutes, narcotics, and benzodiazepines
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

I don't know if "norm" ever fits anything in our music, but here's my take on it:

If you store an instrument in the case with the tuning slide mated (headjoint and barrel together), grease the slide so it won't freeze up.

If you store an instrument in the case with the head and barrel (or body) separate, don't grease the slide.

However, if you have a flute where the tuning slide doesn't fit quit as snugly as you'd like, cork grease will actually "firm up" the fit a bit, which is why I use it on the Seery.

That's just my understanding of it: the best practice would be to ask the maker of your flute what they recommend and then do that!

On the oiling, on my antique 8-key, I remove all the keys before oiling, not only to protect the pads, but also to have better coverage of the wood by the oil.

Best wishes,

--James

(edited by James to add the oiling stuff)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: peeplj on 2002-06-27 08:21 ]</font>
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

For anyone reading who doesn't know, on Irish flutes it is the "standard" to grease the tuning slide.
--James

No James, it is not "standard" to grease the tuning slide on "Irish Flutes", in fact as far as modern Irish flutes are concerned, just the opposite is true: The vast majority of modern woodenflute makers will emphatically tell you NOT to grease the tuning slide on any of their flutes made with metal tuning slides.

I don't mean this to sound harsh, it's just that I believe your statement is misleading. Perhaps on older woodenflutes greasing is the standard, I have no idea since I have no experience with them, perhaps David Migoya can help us out there, however if you check with the current makers, like Olwell and Healy, you'll find their slides should not be greased.

Certainly good advice though to check with the maker when in doubt.

Loren

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Loren on 2002-06-27 10:30 ]</font>
beowulf573

Post by beowulf573 »

My Seery came with a small amount of grease on the slide, so I just assumed eventually more would have to be added.

Interesting thread.
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free