Almond oil

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Feadin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Almond oil

Post by Feadin »

Hi!

I'm new to flutes, but been playing whistles for a couple of years now. I've bought a Burnes Folk Flute from Doc Jones (irishflutestore), and while I'm waiting for it to arrive I've got some almond oil from a pharmacy. I thought it would smell like almonds but the oil looks completely transparent and has a veeeeeery faint almond smell, is this normal? or it should smell a lot like almonds?

Thanks!
Cristian Feldman
dow
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Re: Almond oil

Post by dow »

Feadin wrote:Hi!

I'm new to flutes, but been playing whistles for a couple of years now. I've bought a Burnes Folk Flute from Doc Jones (irishflutestore), and while I'm waiting for it to arrive I've got some almond oil from a pharmacy. I thought it would smell like almonds but the oil looks completely transparent and has a veeeeeery faint almond smell, is this normal? or it should smell a lot like almonds?

Thanks!
Sounds about right. Enjoy that Folk Flute. They're fine instruments.
Dow Mathis ∴
Boerne, TX
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently motivated fool.
Wanderer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

Sounds like the almond oil I get.
│& ¼║: ♪♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪ :║
cocusflute

Oily advice

Post by cocusflute »

Put a few drops of Vitamin E oil - available from Rite-Aid or the like - into the almond oil to retard spoiling. Use it sparingly. Store the oil in the frig and it will last a long time.
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

I stick an almond in the bore and then rub the whole thing down with marzipan.

If you can't find fresh almonds a Jordan Almond with work.

:D

Im just joking of course. :)

I've been using roasted walnut oil on my old wood ebay flutes.

Its meant to be edible and it smells really good. (For those in the States I got it a Trader Joes. 8.5 oz. for $3 )

Online sources say its a drying oil like linseed but I find it doesnt seem to leave any film or stickyness.

The flutes seem to really like it so far and everything is just a little more walnuttier! :)

Probably not a good idea for someone with nut allergies though!

Anyone ever used something like this with poor results?
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
Feadin

Post by Feadin »

Well, sounds like I'll have to spray some almond essence after oiling to get that nice almond smell I thought I'd get with the oil :)
Rubbing the bore with an almond... sounds good too, but I like better the spraying, it's a bit more civilized I guess ;)

I'm joking too! Don't worry, nothing wrong is going to happen to that fine flute.

Thanks for the help. I'll try to find some vitamin E, but now I've another doubt.... if I put the oil in the fridge it will be cold, should I warm it to room temp before oiling the flute or it's ok to apply it cold?

BTW I did use the search button, and read some older posts regarding this, but since some people says one thing and other says just the opposite I'm still a bit confused. I also did read the flute care advice from several flute makers but I'm still confused, some say you should use mineral or bore oils, some say it's ok to use pure almond or olive oil, others that you have to apply vitamin E to the oil, and someone (sorry can't remember the name right now) said the almond oil is a source of vitamin E!
So... I'm still confused about this :)
Cristian Feldman
dhamilingu

Post by dhamilingu »

Hi,

I find that letting a little oil warm to room temperature works well. I apply the oil using a couple of fuzzy pipe cleaners wrapped around my flute cleaning rod. Then I let the flute sit on an old t-shirt overnight, and wipe aay and swab out the excess oil in the morning.

I too have a folk flute and enjoy it immensely. Happy fluting!

Pete
Denny

Post by Denny »

Feadin wrote:BTW I did use the search button, and read some older posts regarding this, but since some people says one thing and other says just the opposite I'm still a bit confused.
you will get used to it... :wink:
Flauta dolce

oil

Post by Flauta dolce »

Almond oil or extra virgin olive oil work for me.