Loud flute needed ASAP

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Doug_Tipple
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Loud flute needed ASAP

Post by Doug_Tipple »

Seriously, folks, I received an email today from a potential customer in Denmark. He wrote, "I play in a rather large band, 9 - 10 violins, 7-8 accordions, so I need as much sound as possible. Would that be one of your flutes?"

I replied that I didn't envy him and that I doubted any Irish flute would be able to break through that din. Was I being too pessimistic? What would be your suggestion for this chap? Try the washboard played with thimbles on the fingertips? But that is oldtime, isn't it?
Jack Bradshaw
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Jack Bradshaw »

Mike it !
603/329-7322
"I fail to see why doing the same thing over and over and getting the
same results every time is insanity: I've almost proved it isn't;
only a few more tests now and I'm sure results will differ this time ... "
Chiffed

Post by Chiffed »

As you've probably found, a big rounded rectangle embouchure with heavy undercut on a flute to your design is stinkin' loud. It doesn't sound like a Tipple, but it can peel paint.
Happily tooting when my dogs let me.
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

A Hamilton would probably come closest...they are a real cannon of a flute but of course it takes more than just a loud flute to play loud.

The player has something to do with it, too.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

I am making a prototype dizi flute for a C & F'er. A dizi is a traditional oriental flute that has an extra hole covered with a membrane between the embouchure hole and the first finger hole. By email he wrote, "It may not be what this customer is looking for, but I can tell you that the dizi membrane on bamboo and wood flutes acts like a built in amplification system. I don't see why PVC wouldn't be the same - the sympathetic vibration creates a huge increase in volume that really cuts through..."
m31

Re: Loud flute needed ASAP

Post by m31 »

Doug_Tipple wrote:Seriously, folks, I received an email today from a potential customer in Denmark. He wrote, "I play in a rather large band, 9 - 10 violins, 7-8 accordions, so I need as much sound as possible. Would that be one of your flutes?"

I replied that I didn't envy him and that I doubted any Irish flute would be able to break through that din. Was I being too pessimistic? What would be your suggestion for this chap? Try the washboard played with thimbles on the fingertips? But that is oldtime, isn't it?
Join another band! Or round up another 10 flute buddies. Either way, I'm not buying the CD.
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

Chiffed wrote:As you've probably found, a big rounded rectangle embouchure with heavy undercut on a flute to your design is stinkin' loud. It doesn't sound like a Tipple, but it can peel paint.

:)

"9 - 10 violins, 7-8 accordions"?

Thats no band... that is a heavy mechanized unit.

I suggest a large bore instrument... like a MaDuce mounted to a Humvee.

:D
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
crookedtune
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by crookedtune »

Shock and Awe!!! :boggle:
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
Chiffed

Post by Chiffed »

Aanvil wrote:

I suggest a large bore instrument... like a MaDuce mounted to a Humvee.

:D
Hey! Tipples are already .824 Cal, compared to a mere .50 Cal for Ma Deuce.

If all else fails, he should get an agony bag and a Marshall Stack. :)
Happily tooting when my dogs let me.
C age ing

Post by C age ing »

Jack Bradshaw wrote:Mike it !
Oh come on man, even Flatters couldn't overcome that lot. :wink:
Played banjo as it only had five strings, so how the hell am I going to cope with six holes?
eilam

Post by eilam »

i too, was thinking of Hammy, but now that i'm writing this, i had a Pratten McGee that by far was the loudest cannon i have ever played.
eilam.
Matt_Paris

Post by Matt_Paris »

I had a Pratten Aebi that was incredibly powerful.

It was the main reason why I quit smoking, though...
pjuuldk

Post by pjuuldk »

Hi

I must admidt that it's me :D , I'm the guy who wrote to Dough Tipple.

The band I'm playing in is what's called a "spillemandslaug" (a translation would be something like "fiddlers guild"). We are playing traditional danish folkdanse music. We are all amatures and not all, especially the accordionplayers, are playing as loud as the instrument is capable of. When we are out playing we do have a soundsystem and our soundman is doing a great job placing the mikes stratigely and adjusting the sound. So, it's not that impossible a job, as some of you might think.

Since I started playing the whistle, a year ago, I've introduced the Susato high D in the band and together with the Recordplayer, next to me, we can realy be heard. My resent whistle buy is an Adler-Heinrich wood whistle and it's even louder than the Susato and with a very nice warm deep tone. When it's played in I'm planning on bringing that to the band.

In the last year I've tryed some Irish Flutes: The John C. tour flute, What an Instrument, the best flute I've ever played but, sadly, to expensive for me. A Hammie Hamilton practis flute, well, proberbly a good flute but there's something about it thats just not me. Buy the way, It's for sale. A Moore & Co. plastic flute, cheap, black, not very good.
I really enjoy playing the keyles flutes and since most of the trad. danish music like ITM is in D and G and since Duogh Tipples flutes have gotten very good revieuws in this forum, and his prices are manageble. I thought that I would have a try of one of his flutes, as a replacement/supplement for my Böehm system flute. I really hope that Dough can help to a good flute.

Not all danish music is played in "bigbands", every wednesday we are three people, violin, piano and me, who play in the local folkdancesociety. Totally different way of playing, close, intimet, easy to be heard, room for waryations/ornamentations. There I don't bring the Susato, I've got a nice litle Dixon black polymer that sounds great in that gymnasium.

Peter Juul
Father Emmet

Post by Father Emmet »

Have you thought of using a piccolo?
Il Friscaletto

Post by Il Friscaletto »

Aanvil wrote:
"9 - 10 violins, 7-8 accordions"?

The stage will probably collapse before they get a note out.