What kind of flute?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
ChiffinChap
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

What kind of flute?

Post by ChiffinChap »

I'm thinking about getting myself a new flute. I'm still in the learning stage and right now I'm playing a one piece plastic Tony Dixon and I want something that feels more solid and that I can tune. I'm thinking polymer and I would like some advice on what to look for. I've looked at Dixons 3-piece polymer flute and at M&E:s polymer. What are the pros and cons of those two? Can anyone recommend anything else? Any advice would be appreciated
Jayhawk
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

I've owned all of the big 3 conical polymer maker's flutes (Seery, M&E, Dixon). The Dixon 3 piece will definitely feel much more like a wooden flute, but it's rather small holed and quieter than either the Seery or M&E. Also, it doens't have a slide with wasn't an issue for me (you can tune with the tennon easily), but may be an issue if you tend to play sharp or flat.

The M&E and the Seery are big steps up from the Dixon in my opinion. Both have tuning slides, bigger tone holes, and bigger sound. Either can have keys added. I do think the workmanship on the exterior is better on the Seery, but internally both seem to me well done. Keys are cheaper to add to the M&E in the future if you'd like them, but then again Desi's keys are much nicer (the M&E keys function fine). The two flutes will sound much more like the player than anything else, but the Seery is pratten based and has more of that sound whereas the M&E is rudall based and plays that way. The M&E definitely looks much nicer with the rings added (which costs more - putting it at about the same price as the Seery), but you can buy it for less without the rings if you don't care about them. The M&E may be a bit more forgiving for a newer player according to some folks, but I played the Seery prior to the M&E and didn't have any problems.

Essentially, the Dixon 3 piece is fine, the Seery and M&E a big step up, but any would be an improvement over what you're playing now.

Hope that helps.

Eric
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

A 1-piece Dixon is OK to get your feet wet but if you'd like to go further, you'll definitely want to upgrade soon.

I found the Dixon 3-piece to have an easy embouchure. You'll probably find it easier than the 1-piece. I found it, however, to be a bit like a flute with training wheels which will be a hindrance down the road.

The M&E is a serious step up. When I spent time with an M&E I had been playing a bamboo Olwell (professional model) for a couple years and found the M&E's embouchure very challenging. The M&E takes a very focused embouchure and doesn't forgive much. This flute was made after Michael began doing only R&R flutes. The older, non-R&R flutes he made are more forgiving but with a lot of response and room to grow.

I have no experience with Seery but I do have one of Jon C.'s delrin 5000 series Rudalls and would recommend that or his Pratten. That series of Rudall has a larger bore and embouchure than the M&E R&R and is similar to the original M&E design.
Denny

Post by Denny »

AaronMalcomb wrote:I do have one of Jon C.'s delrin 5000 series Rudalls and would recommend that or his Pratten. That series of Rudall has a larger bore and embouchure than the M&E R&R and is similar to the original M&E design.
I have a Jon C. delrin medium bore. It is also good.
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

The only one I have had experience with is the M&E and I thought it was a fine Flute.
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

Unseen122 wrote:The only one I have had experience with is the M&E and I thought it was a fine Flute.
And I have been learning on an M+E for a few months, now, and it's done me very nicely.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Yes, and is the sae one that I had for a bit of time.
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

Unseen122 wrote:Yes, and is the sae one that I had for a bit of time.
Ah! I'd forgotten. :oops: :lol:

Well, rest assured it's not being ignored. I can't stop playing it.

:party:
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
ChiffinChap

Post by ChiffinChap »

Thanks for your advice evryone. I've never heard of Jon C. Is there a website I could visit?
lixnaw

Post by lixnaw »

ChiffinChap wrote:Thanks for your advice evryone. I've never heard of Jon C. Is there a website I could visit?
You could send Jon.C a pm, he's got a flute touring through Europe.
http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... pe+touring

Btw, M&E flutes have money back guarantee aswell.
Henke

Post by Henke »

Hej.

Såg inte förrän nu att du var från Sverige.
Jag kan varmt rekomendera M&E-flöjter. De är i klass med instrument som kostar mycket mer. De är inte de vackraste flöjterna som finns, det kan jag hålla med om, men de fungerar oerhört bra, dessutom är de i det närmsta oförstörbara.
Jag har själv spelat M&E flöjter i flera år, så jag kan gå i god både för instrumenten, och Michael som gör flöjterna är en grymt trevlig prick som verkligen gör allt för att kunderna ska bli nöjda.

Jon C gör också väldigt bra flöjter och han är också väldigt schysst att ha å göra med. Hans flöjter är lite mera förfinade, men kostar nog lite mer och du kanske får vänta några månader på att få hem den. Men honom kan du ta kontakt med på forumet om du vill ha mer info.

MVH
//Henrik
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

Henke wrote:
Jon C gör också väldigt bra flöjter och han är också väldigt schysst att ha å göra med. Hans flöjter är lite mera förfinade, men kostar nog lite mer och du kanske får vänta några månader på att få hem den. Men honom kan du ta kontakt med på forumet om du vill ha mer info.

MVH
//Henrik
I hope you are saying nice things... :oops:
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

They're talking dirty. I just know it.
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

Henke wrote:Såg inte förrän nu att du var från Sverige.
Jag kan varmt rekomendera M&E-flöjter. De är i klass med instrument som kostar mycket mer. De är inte de vackraste flöjterna som finns, det kan jag hålla med om, men de fungerar oerhört bra, dessutom är de i det närmsta oförstörbara.
Jag har själv spelat M&E flöjter i flera år, så jag kan gå i god både för instrumenten, och Michael som gör flöjterna är en grymt trevlig prick som verkligen gör allt för att kunderna ska bli nöjda.

I see a lot of lower case angstrom symbols in that text. Do flute makers use that small of a unit of measure? If so I'm impressed by the precision.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Filth!