West Ocean String Quartet and Matt Molloy : Guiding Moon

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Cayden

West Ocean String Quartet and Matt Molloy : Guiding Moon

Post by Cayden »

Heard some snatches of a new CD on the radio yesterday. The Guiding Moon by the West Ocean String Quartet with Matt Molloy. Most pieces are compositions by Cellist Neil Martin for the string quartet and Molloy's flute.

It's your typical West Ocean music, a mix of classical and trad-ish sounds but not really the one thing or the other but enough of both to make it an interesting mix on first impression. Have not quite made up my mind about it but it will get some of you going ;-)

Whistling Willie
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I love whistling and I have been a member of this forum for many years now.I have found it very informative and helpful over the years that I have been here.

Post by Whistling Willie »

They are playing tonight along with MM at the Custom House Square in Belfast as part of the Queens festival.....7:30PM.
"Obsessed is a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated"
Jens_Hoppe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Jens_Hoppe »

There are a few MP3 snippets from the album on http://www.wosq.com/buy.php - but none with any flute playing, as far as I can hear. :-?

But how can one not love those classically performed polkas? ;)
treeshark
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by treeshark »

Jens_Hoppe wrote:But how can one not love those classically performed polkas? ;)
Glad there's a wink at the end of that!
They are sort of drained of lift and life. I always feel the same when folk songs are sung by classically trained singers. The Lark in Clear Air works better but still feels a bit lifeless to me I'm afraid.

But the same singers or players in their own arena sound wonderful... a mystery.