Two questions about weight

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
fluti31415
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Two questions about weight

Post by fluti31415 »

I have a polymer M&E that I use as my camping/traveling flute, which I absolutely love except for one thing. It is so big and heavy that I have real problems playing for very long without my left hand cramping up. This got me thinking, and so now I've got these two questions:

1. What is a good keyless polymer lightweight flute with a smaller diameter on the left hand? It would need to take some abuse (camping, leaving in car), and also be something good enough to play at sessions when I travel. I like Doug Tipple's flutes a whole lot, but would prefer a conical bore.

2. Is Mopane lighter than blackwood? I'm also thinking about getting a Casey Burns low flute, and in something that big, weight will be an issue for me.

I have a Sweet blackwood 8 key, and I can handle that weight easily. I can manage playing english horn without needing a neck strap, but would probably have problems playing the eh out to the side. :D

Thanks for any and all advice.
Shannon
(aka fluti31415)
Denny
antispam: No

Post by Denny »

1. Talk to Jon C.
2. I think that the balance is more important than the actual weight. (Imbalance will increase preceded weight)
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

I believe boxwood is lighter than blackwood,
and Casey has some very nice boxwood.
You might talk to him about this.
People sometimes favor boxwood flutes partly
for their lightness.

My impression, FWIW, is that mopane isn't
lighter than blackwood, at least not
appreciably so.
trish

Post by trish »

Don't get me started! I have a problem with my neck, and find the weight of my flute makes all the difference to whether i can manage to play pain free.

I am obsessed with weighing flutes! On my kitchen sales (which are not very accurate) my Casey Burns Low A in mopane weighs between 350 and 400g. This compares favourably to many D flutes. My perception is that this is quite light for a low flute, probably because it doesn't have a metal slide or lined headjoint. For comparison, My M&E (polymer no silver rings) weighs 500g. My aebi boxwood 8-key (the lightest keyed flute I've played) weighs nearer 350g.

I hope this helps. My advice, as one who spends a lot of time ruminating about flutes and neck pain, is to try lots of flutes to find the magic formula for you. I know that's easier said than done, though..

advert: My Burns is for sale on ebay at the moment, by the way (see thread elsewhere)
Jayhawk
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

I recall my old Seery being fairly light...at least compared to my M&E. I've not played one of Jon C's delrin flutes...although I really wish I could.

Eric
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

Jayhawk wrote:I recall my old Seery being fairly light...at least compared to my M&E. I've not played one of Jon C's delrin flutes...although I really wish I could.

Eric
I don't think my Jon C Delrin R & R is too heavy. It's certainly got a slender profile, but it's noticably heavier than my Burns Folk Flute (Mopane).
Of course, part of that's because it's got a long foot and a tuning slide, but even with the foot joint removed it weighs a bit more than the Burns.

That being said, I don't think the weight is excessive. And I doubt that you'll find a conical polymer flute that's appreciably lighter. (Maybe a McGee MDT GLP model?).
vanessa

Post by vanessa »

Yes, good idea: Talk to Jon C :)! ... he does a Rudall for small hands, and I'm sure he'll accommadate your needs re his delrins... as for his R&R wood flute, it sits very comfortably in my hands and balances really well - I have just been officially diagnosed with having carpal tunnel syndrome ie I have problem with my wrists and loose sensation in my fingers and I'm also prone to tendonitis - also I have the problem of my hands cramping but Jon C's wood flute is causing me no trouble at all and is very comfortable to play - also I have played one of his Pratten style delrin flutes recently and it felt surprisingly comfortable in my hands... what I realised what leads to cramping in my case is linked to the internal balance of a flute rather than the weight and also the angle of the wrists which is flute depended. For example I have a lovely Hamilton flute which is super light but it aggreviates my hand problems :cry: ...

... but this is me and you are you... ideal would be if you could try out different delrin flutes and see how your hands/fingers respond... whether it is really and issue of weight or more of balance or angle or something else... and of course there is the possibility it might not be the flute but the cause why you cramp up might relate to how you play... so best to talk to an expert and re purchasing another flute it would help if you could discuss your problems with a flute maker who understands and gives you options, and in my opinion there is no other like Jon C whether you are purchasing a delrin from him or one of his superb wood flutes.

... and here's a bit of advice that I should have heeded to... when your hands are troubling you and cramp up, don't play on and bite through the pain... stop playing and rest or it could lead to bigger problems :cry: ... I didn't listen and now I'm paying the price :swear: