[SOLD]: Paddy Ward Blackwood D

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
greenspiderweb
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

[SOLD]: Paddy Ward Blackwood D

Post by greenspiderweb »

I have a firm commitment on the flute, so consider it SOLD!

The price is $750, insured Priority Mail included, and sale limited to the USA only.

I traded with Doc for this about a month ago, not because I needed another flute, but because I have always wondered what the Wards were like, given all the positive feedback. So I decided to try it, considering the very few that become available on the used market (and new for that matter).

It's a lovely flute, no doubt, and the first one I go to pick up and play out of my 3 flutes. And, I love my other two when I do play them, but there's something about the Ward that makes me want to pick it up and play it, by choice.

Here's the catch; I have a physical problem with my left hand (Dupuytren's contracture) which makes it hard to fully open my hand, and though I found a way to play the Ward that seems to work (to play with my fingertips for a higher arch), it just doesn't come naturally to me on this flute, where with my other two it is natural, and I am not bothered.

This may or may not have contributed to my tendonitis that I am experiencing now, but I didn't have it before the Ward. It's a slimmer flute than my Jon C Pratten, or Burns Standard, so that is probably why it is a problem for me, along with the hole spacing (a good stretch). So, rather than take the chance that it may be hurting me, I have decided to let it go instead. Besides, 2 wooden flutes are about all I can afford too!

It seems a great cross between a Pratten and Rudall, but leaning toward the Pratten in tone, being more open, but not hollow sounding like some Prattens can be. I guess it is the combination that makes me want to pick it up most-it's just a really nice flute to play and hear.

By the way, the stretch is considerable, not for small hands, and the lower holes are larger too ( E and F#). I have pictures I can email if you would like to see it. People with normal to larger hands should have no problems though, guys in particular, or girls with larger hands.

This flute had belonged to Aaron Malcomb (who got it new), and then Flutefry more recently, if you want to search the archives and see what they had to say about it (all positive).

Aaron has a clip of the Ward on Clips N Snips here:

http://www.tinwhistletunes.com/clipssni ... AaronM.mp3

That's about it, if you want pictures, just email me, or you can look on Paddy's website too:

http://paddywardflutes.com/

Email or PM with your interests or questions. I can take PayPal (even credit cards if you include the 3.5% extra) or a US Postal Money Order, or personal check if I know you.

Thanks for looking.
Last edited by greenspiderweb on Wed Oct 25, 2006 4:44 pm, edited 7 times in total.
~~~~
Barry
Doc Jones
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Doc Jones »

Hi All,

Just wanted to endorse Barry. I don't know if I've actually ever sold anything to him but we've sure swapped a bundle of things over the years. :lol:

Great guy to deal with.

Ward flutes are actually Hawkes copies. Barry's description is accurate....nearly "Prattenesque" stretch requirements but a warmer, more complex, "Rudally" tone than some Prattens.

I didn't find it particulary demanding to play but it is a bit more stretch than most Rudalls.

Edited to sureptitiuosly remove the word Prowse and insert the word Hawkes to give people the impression that I actually know what I'm talking about.

Note: The terms "Prattenesque" and "Rudally" are new words created by Doc Jones.

The terms "Pratteny" and "Rudallesque" are entirely inappropriate and should not be used in polite company. Please stay tuned to this website for further advancements in the evolution of flute terminology by Doc Jones.
Last edited by Doc Jones on Fri Oct 20, 2006 2:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
flutefry
Tell us something.: Pipes have become my main instrument, but I still play the flute. I have emerged from the "instrument acquisition" phase, and am now down to one full set of pipes (Gordon Galloway), and one flute (Hudson Siccama).

Post by flutefry »

I couldn't open the Paddy Ward site when I went there just now, but if my memory serves, his flutes are copies of Hawkes flutes from the early 1890s.

Here's a comment by John Skelton, referring to his Hawkes flute, taken from Brad Hurley's website, in the interview with John.

"A: You have very good eyes! It's my Hawkes concert flute. I have been told (and I pass this on as the result of a very erudite conversation one night in a pub in Cork) that it was probably made by Pratten. Hawkes later joined with Boosey to form Boosey and Hawkes and Pratten was associated with both companies. I like to think of it as an early Pratten's Perfected. It's unusually light. Patrick Olwell was taken by it and took measurements a number of years ago. I think that he may have used some of those in his own flutes because when I hold an Olwell flute it feels very strange, almost as if I had my own flute in my hands."

I am sure that someone with better control of the facts will jump in here, but I seem to have dim memories of a Prowse/Pratten connection, so Doc might be correct that it is a Prowse.

Just to add my experience that Barry is a completely straight shooter. For my hands, the Ward has had the least stretch of any flute I have had in terms of distance between holes, but as Loren has pointed out before, the hole size complicates the issue. Anyhow, I didn't have a problem.

Hugh
I thought I had no talent, but my talent is to persist anyway.
Doc Jones

Post by Doc Jones »

Nope, you're right Hugh, it's Hawkes not Prowse (lost my mind for just a minute).

As usual, I have no idea what I'm talking about. :)

I fixed it up above.

Doc

Disclaimer:

Doc Jones has absolutely no idea what he's talking about. But he's an awfully nice fellow. Please, disregard most of what he says immediately. Consider the rest suspect.

Doc's Website

greenspiderweb

Post by greenspiderweb »

Thank you, fellers for the en-dorsements! Right back atchas! Yeah, I'd swap or even pay outright for a flute from the Doc too! As I recollect, I don't think I paid in chickens for the one before, the Jon C Pratten. But, I sure am glad you take them from time to time, Doc! :wink:

Yes, Hawkes it is, but it does look just like a Copeland for the embouchure and hole size and placement. From what I remember the Hawkes is supposed to have a pretty complicated bore profile, but I don't know how closely Paddy followed it from his Hawkes flutes that he patterned his after.
~~~~
Barry
greenspiderweb

Post by greenspiderweb »

Here are the pictures (I hope!). First time fooling around with hosting, so we'll see how these turn out.

Seems to have worked. An old cat can learn new things!
Last edited by greenspiderweb on Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:57 pm, edited 4 times in total.
~~~~
Barry
Doc Jones

Post by Doc Jones »

My ten-year-old boy Evan took those pictures. Not too bad eh?... and he works for skittles. :)

Doc

Doc's Website

greenspiderweb

Post by greenspiderweb »

Excellent pictures, thank him for me, will you? With everything else considered, it's what made me want to try the Ward-a beautiful looking and well crafted flute to my eyes. So, how many boxes of Skittles do I owe him?
~~~~
Barry
Doc Jones

Post by Doc Jones »

greenspiderweb wrote:Excellent pictures, thank him for me, will you? With everything else considered, it's what made me want to try the Ward-a beautiful looking and well crafted flute to my eyes. So, how many boxes of Skittles do I owe him?
Don't worry. I get all the reproduction rights for just the one bag so you're OK. :lol:

Doc's Website

vanessa
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by vanessa »

Sorry to hear you need to let the Ward go :cry: ... darn hand-trouble especially when it makes us part with old friends :swear:

Hope your handsome looking flutie will find as good a home as my Seery :)
vanessa
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by vanessa »

Amazing nobody has snapped up this lovely flutie yet :boggle:
MsC

For Sale: Paddy Ward Blackwood D

Post by MsC »

Beautiful flute there, Barry. I hear the Wards play as good as they look. I hope you sell it before I weaken!
greenspiderweb

Re: For Sale: Paddy Ward Blackwood D

Post by greenspiderweb »

MsC wrote:Beautiful flute there, Barry. I hear the Wards play as good as they look. I hope you sell it before I weaken!
:)

I hope you weaken before I sell it! :wink:

And, actually, they sound better than they look, though the workmanship is top notch!
~~~~
Barry
flutefry
Tell us something.: Pipes have become my main instrument, but I still play the flute. I have emerged from the "instrument acquisition" phase, and am now down to one full set of pipes (Gordon Galloway), and one flute (Hudson Siccama).

Post by flutefry »

What, not sold this great flute yet? (bump).

Hugh
I thought I had no talent, but my talent is to persist anyway.
greenspiderweb

Post by greenspiderweb »

:) Almost, Hugh...almost! Having a hard time prying it out my hands! :(
~~~~
Barry