M&E or Seery?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
stefano

M&E or Seery?

Post by stefano »

I am starting to consider the possibility to buy an Irish flute...

I was strongly attracted by the Casey Burns Folk Flute, because it is not too expensive, and further I like its clean design. Then I realized that probably a polymer flute would be better for me. The wood is attractive, but I want something I can carry with me everywhere and which doesn't require to be cleaned, dried, oiled or whatsoever.

So I started to browse between the threads of this forum and I found two possible candidates: the M&E and the Seery. Could you give me an idea of the difference between the two? Which one would you suggest me?

Henke
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Henke »

M&E and Seery have based their designs on the two biggest flute designers of the past, Rudall and Rose and Pratten.
The M&E is a classic Rudall (or at least what is often thought of as classic Rudall, we're debating whether such a thing exsists). It has a medium bore and medium tone holes, which basically results in medium volume, good response, large tonal palate and relatively easy playability. Rudalls are often tought of as being easier to fill than Prattens, but may need more work with the embouchure.
Seery is a classic Pratten, which means larger bore and tone holes. It should mean more volume (although that is arguable as well), a little slower response and a dry, honking tone.
Pratten and Rudall are the two most popular basic designs in Irish flutes. Which one suits you best is impossible to tell. The best would be if you could try out both for an extended amount of time. If getting both is impossible, just get one of them and be done with it. If it would feel better you could listen to pro flute players and decide on one who represents the sound you want and buy the same design that he/she plays. But in the end it doesn't really matter. Both are probably very good flutes and both would be good for you, just get one of them and learn to play it.
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Henke is right on target - both are good flutes and either one would work for you. I've owned both, and I'm not sure I could/would recommend one over the other - it just depends upon which one you end up liking better. As Henke said, if you have a local session or have the opportunity to try them both, that's ideal (most flute players I know are willing to let you have a go on their flute). However, if you've not played flute before, you'll struggle with either one since simply getting a tone out of a flute can be hard for some folks. It's worth it though...

Eric
greenspiderweb
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by greenspiderweb »

Yes, to all above, and you can do a search (found at the top of the page) and you will find tomes of information on both flutes, in fact this question arises every couple of months, and the only thing that changes is the person asking. The answers are just about all the same! :wink:

You may find the stretch on the M&E a little easier, unless you opt for the small holed Seery. If your hands are medium to large male hands, then either will probably work.

Do a search-there is lots to read and learn there.
~~~~
Barry
Denny

Post by Denny »

If you are in the US...
Jon C also makes good ones.
michael_coleman
Tell us something.: I play the first flute Jon Cochran ever made but haven't been very active on the board the last 9-10 years. Life happens I guess...I owned a keyed M&E flute for a while and I kind of miss it.

Post by michael_coleman »

Even if you aren't in the US I would recommend the Jon C. But you should probably ask him to make the flute out of wood, otherwise he might get a bit cranky sucking in all that delrin smoke.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

I wouldn't over-estimate the trouble of taking care of
a wooden flute. Some of us believe in oiling, some don't.
I don't and have never suffered a bad consequence.
A compromise is to oil at the beginning and
then very occasionally afterwards.
Drying can be done in a flash. The one real issue, IMO,
is humidfying if you are spending a good deal of
time in a dry place.

These habits, once learned (and they're pretty easy)
will stand you in good stead later. No question
that delrin takes virtually no care, however the folk flute
is a tough critter.
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

michael_coleman wrote:Even if you aren't in the US I would recommend the Jon C. But you should probably ask him to make the flute out of wood, otherwise he might get a bit cranky sucking in all that delrin smoke.
Jon, have you been smoking Delrin again? Tsk Tsk, I warned you about..... "Delrin Maaaaadnesssssss!!!!!" :lol:

Loren
Last edited by Loren on Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
stefano

Post by stefano »

thank you all!

I am not in US. I am italian, but now I am working in Israel. (I've been in France for one year, and it is possible that next year I will move to Helsinki.... a wooden flute probably wouldn't like these climate changes!)

I didn't know anything about the Rudall&Rose vs. Pratten.... :oops:
I d'better read more carefully the forum before taking a decision :)
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

stefano wrote:I didn't know anything about the Rudall&Rose vs. Pratten.... :oops:

See what you guys have done!

:lol:

Loren
Denny

Post by Denny »

Loren wrote:
stefano wrote:I didn't know anything about the Rudall&Rose vs. Pratten.... :oops:

See what you guys have done!

:lol:

Loren
we got one right? :-?

must be a bad day, eh? :lol:
withak
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by withak »

Since they are both quality instruments, the best choice for a beginner is probably whichever is cheapest. (M&E I think?)

Odds are you won't stick with your first flute for your whole life, and after you gain some proficiency you will be better equipped to decide exactly what kind of flute you might like when it comes time to spend some more money. :)
vanessa

Post by vanessa »

Denny wrote:If you are in the US...
Jon C also makes good ones.
... and also if you are not in the US... I live in Ireland and I'm purchasing from him :) ... what I really like about Jon C's flutes is that you get options... he does both: Rudall and Pratten delrins and of course great wood flutes... and he's a great guy to talk to and and to advise you :)... also his prices are more than reasonable...

Re M&E and Seery... I played the Seery for a while and tried a second hand M&E in a music shop... both different but great flutes so you can't go wrong :) ... as to my personal preference: I'd go for a Jon C delrin because they have that special touch that makes them not only great players but also visually most appealing :)... I just saw and tried one about a week ago when I met an American flute player at a bus stop.... he had a Jon C delrin with him with decorative rings and he let me have a bash.... drooooool... :D
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

Boy, Jon, the pressure's on.......

M
lesl
Tell us something.: Hello, I'm Lesl, I teach and play Irish flute. Just updating my web address. Thank you for reading this!

Post by lesl »

From my own experience, Michael Cronnolly's basic M&E, Rudall-style, is an easier flute for a beginner than a Seery. The M&E has smaller holes and is fatter, both of which make it a bit easier to start with. Good luck!