Flute Test Answers

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
GaryKelly
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Flute Test Answers

Post by GaryKelly »

This thread contains the answers to the Flute Test at: http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php?t=43202

Do not read this thread if you haven't taken the test and might like to do so before learning the answers!

I'd originally planned to post the 'answers' on Monday 4th September, but work is going to interfere with that and I won't have much (if any) access to the 'net from home this weekend. So I'm putting the answers up now.

Please don't 'spoil' the test over on the other thread by posting comments relating to the answers there. Naturally anyone who hasn't done the test and subsequently does is on the 'honour system'!

As of 11 a.m (BST) Friday 1st September, the test track had been downloaded 294 times, and 23 people gave their answers in the other thread. I'm sincerely grateful to all of them for taking part.

I really do think this was/is an interesting experiment, and I'm rather hopeful that the interest it generated won't fade. As far as I'm aware, it's the first of its kind on the forum, if not on the web. It's not a perfect 'test' by any means, but perhaps the interest it's generated (128 replies over 9 pages at the time of writing) will serve to encourage others with a scientific bent, or simply food for thought when we're not actually playing the instruments.

Thanks again to all those who took part, and here are the answers.
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
Wormdiet

Post by Wormdiet »

Very cool! Thanks GK. Definitely food for thought.

after seeing the Ward in the mix, maybe I ought to stick with my own DelrinChuddenite rather than upgrade to a "real" flute;)
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

Hey, those Wards are good flutes! :devil:

I think I did pretty well distinguishing the change-overs.

Not so well distinguishing anything else though!

Dogwood!!!!!

M
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

Was that differences in tone or differences in volume/background noise you spotted, M? (Just trying to understand what you meant by 'changes'. :) )
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
vanessa

Post by vanessa »

Hi Gary :) ,

Thanks for posting the results - just read them - wow - amazing :boggle: , and I must say I'm glad to know I'm not quite as mad as I thought although I clearly didn't know some of the flutes were played more than once.

Well, and to tell you since you wondered about my age - I just turned 37 in July and only started to take up proper flute lessons in March. I have no musical background whatsover and since I started late I struggle a lot with what I consider to be a lack of musicality. Also, everything re music is new to me including the concept of rhythm but I am very lucky to have a wonderful teacher who has this amazing way of explaining things to me. Still, there is one particular hurdle which frightens me the most - the concept of learning by ear - and it frightened me because I always believed about myself that I was born tone deaf so I asked myself how can I learn to play music when I can't hear it 'properly'.

So, when I played along with the challenge, I not only played along for it for the fun but I had a rather silly hidden personal agenda :devil: : I kinda wanted to prove to myself that I can't 'hear properly' - so I listened to the track, jotted down the answers and posted them on the forum, and then of course waited for the results to get the chance to tell myself how useless I was :swear: . Well, so you can probably imagine that when I saw the results I was completely shocked :o because although I didn't get it right re amount of flutes played - still for some bizarre and strange reason I seem to have at least been aware when there was a change in flute which means I must be hearing 'something' :-? .

So, in a way I must thank you, Gary, :D because thanks to your experiment I'm beginning to think I might not be as 'tone deaf' as I thought, and now I'm almost hopeful that if I persevere and keep practicing I might stand a little chance of perhaps acquiring the skill of how to properly learn by ear :) .

Warm regards,

Vanessa
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

Well Vanessa, you've just blown my theory about your hearing clean out of the water! Here I was thinking you were probably 15 or 16 and were able to detect all sorts of high-end harmonics that I and others couldn't :lol:

On a serious note, I'm delighted the exercise has helped in a way I couldn't possibly have imagined! 'Practice makes perfect' is a pretty good adage I reckon. I don't think you should have any problems, sounds as though you have a great teacher (which is a lot more than some us less fortunates).
Loren
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Gary, all very interesting, and I do appreciate your efforts, even though I chose not to participate with guesses. (Although I'll be happy to participate in any in-person blind listening tests, should the opportunity arise.)

Loren
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Whistlin'Dixie wrote: Dogwood!!!!!

Dogwood is Good :)

Loren
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Dogwood?

The section I liked best was played on dogwood!?

Who the heck makes Dogwood flutes? (okay, stupid question read the answers)
Last edited by I.D.10-t on Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

Loren, I confess I'd not heard of dogwood before. Is it a common 'tone-wood' or something that's just come into use for instruments? Have you ever worked with it?
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

I.D.10-t wrote:Dogwood?

Not if you liked the last 1/4 of playing the best, that was blackwood :)
Dana

Post by Dana »

Ha! The one I liked the best is one I have on order (Gallagher Rudall). :party:

Dana
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

GaryKelly wrote:Loren, I confess I'd not heard of dogwood before. Is it a common 'tone-wood' or something that's just come into use for instruments? Have you ever worked with it?
I've got about 60-70 pounds of dogwood aging in my basement -- I just cut the tree down in the spring, so it'll be awhile before any of it turns into flutes or whistles.

It turns like a dream, although as I said, it's not aged -- I just turned a few squares into rounds. It may be completely different once the moisture has reached equilibrium. I believe it's the densest of the (more common) North American hardwoods.

The native North American dogwoods are rapidly dying off from some sort of blight. (I thought the one I cut down was dead, but there are all sorts of shoots coming out of what's left of the base.) Most of the healthy dogwoods these days are Japanese.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

GaryKelly wrote:
I.D.10-t wrote:Dogwood?

Not if you liked the last 1/4 of playing the best, that was blackwood :)
Oh, thank goodness my math sucks. Now I'll have to figure out how I feel about liking a Rudall. I always thought of myself as a Pratten wannabe. Guess I'll stick with my current flute then. (It is pretty sad that even with the answer key I cannot tell which flute is which.)

All of the embouchures boxcar shaped?
Last edited by I.D.10-t on Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

GaryKelly wrote:Loren, I confess I'd not heard of dogwood before. Is it a common 'tone-wood' or something that's just come into use for instruments? Have you ever worked with it?
Haven't worked with it myself yet. It's not common for flutes, at all. Aside from the flute pictured, I hadn't heard of another Dogwood flute until your posting today.

It has some promise as a flute wood, however, the one I have swells and shrinks considerably with RH swings, much more so than other woods I'm familiar with. Also, while the exterior of my flute is quite smooth, the bore is quite rough, which is uncharacteristic of an Olwell. This leads me to believe that Dogwood has a tendancy to tearout quite a bit more during reaming than many of the hard woods. Hand reaming may be required to get the best finish. Because my lathe is not yet up and running, I haven't been able to polish the bore, to see what results I might be able to accomplish with that.

Loren