Boehm flute tips?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
jim stone

Boehm flute tips?

Post by jim stone »

I've rented a Boehm flute from a local music store--it's
a Gemeinhart open hole silver plated (they say) jobby,
costs 26 bucks for the month. I don't plan to keep it longer.
The idea is to see what
playing a Boehm flute is like, possibly I might want
one (I would buy an intermediate flute if I did and probably
online). Also to get some hands-on understanding of what replaced
the wooden simple system orchestral flutes.

I'm doing OK with the open holes. I've got a finger chart
online and I can sound the flute OK. In short, it works, basically.
It seems not a bad flute though the sound is so far less
appealing than that of a wooden flute.

I know some of the people here have a good del of experience
with these, so I would be grateful for any tips or advice
as to how to approach this.
JessieK
antispam: No

Post by JessieK »

Jim, you'll have to adjust your embouchure to get a strong sound. A wooden flute embouchure sounds cloudy on a Boehm flute, and a Boehm flute embouchure sounds cloudy on a wooden flute.

Assuming the flute's pads are sealing properly and that it's in decent adjustment, this one change, which could take a while, should do wonders.

Experiment with opening and closing your airstream and see what works best.
~JessieD
mcdafydd
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: My wife and I moved back to beautiful Central Vermont and I need to update my Location! Thanks much...

Post by mcdafydd »

Hi Jim,

I get a lot of enjoyment playing ITM on a Boehm as well. As Jessie said, the embouchure is much different. You can be much more relaxed and blow hard, especially in the second register to get it singing. At least that is something I have to attend to.

And make sure you find some tunes that require a high D/E, or play something from one of Chris Norman's albums.
GaryKelly
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Boehm flute tips?

Post by GaryKelly »

jim stone wrote:I've rented a Boehm flute from a local music store
Splitter!! You'll be joining the Popular Front of Judea next!

:)
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
Denny

Post by Denny »

Jessie's post is dead on.

It is a different sound.
jmccain

Post by jmccain »

Denny wrote: It is a different sound.
Because of the flute or because of the player?

Best, John

PS - Just kidding...
Denny

Post by Denny »

jmccain wrote:
Denny wrote: It is a different sound.
Because of the flute or because of the player?

Best, John

PS - Just kidding...
and not or
:moreevil:
Dana

Post by Dana »

My advice (on any flute, Boehm or Irish) would be to practice long tones, or simple slow phrases initially, and work toward getting the clearest sound you can, not necessarily aiming for a huge sound at first. Then add long tones with a crescendo-dimenuendo, i.e. <<<<<--------->>>>>, while trying to keep the pitch constant. Slurred octave skips (without hammering the 2nd octave) are also helpful. These exercises add both flexibility and strength to one's embouchure. At that point, you're ready to add whatever character to the sound you want.

I've gotta add that these things take time. I would measure progress in years, not months.

Dana
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

Dana wrote:I've gotta add that these things take time. I would measure progress in years, not months.
:)
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
jaime!

Post by jaime! »

different, different, different embouchure.
on wooden flutes, i think the generally accepted idea is to play quite rolled in with a small jetstream of air, whereas with the boehm flute you'd want to be covering maybe just 1/3 of the embouchure hole.. and i think of the sound (and my embouchure, mouth, throat, everything) as more open and round with a boehm. listen to some pretty flute music. that always helps me loads when i'm feeling uninspired and don't know where to go with my tone!
ah, boehms. i love them. they're so flexible. try making lots of different shapes and textures with your sound. it's fun.
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Dana wrote:My advice (on any flute, Boehm or Irish) would be to practice long tones, or simple slow phrases initially, and work toward getting the clearest sound you can, not necessarily aiming for a huge sound at first. Then add long tones with a crescendo-dimenuendo, i.e. <<<<<--------->>>>>, while trying to keep the pitch constant. Slurred octave skips (without hammering the 2nd octave) are also helpful. These exercises add both flexibility and strength to one's embouchure. At that point, you're ready to add whatever character to the sound you want.

I've gotta add that these things take time. I would measure progress in years, not months.

Dana
What she said. :)

Also, there are dramatic differences in how far you can go with a flute that has been well-padded and well-maintained, as opposed to one that is just "ok."

Even a fantastically good flute won't sing if the pads don't seal or the keys aren't vented correctly; conversely, a decent flute that has been carefully padded and lovingly cared for may play like a real gem.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
asopp83

Post by asopp83 »

As someone working from the opposite side (Boehm fluter learning simple system), I might be able to give you some good advice, since Boehm fluting has been my life's work!

Firstly, as some others have said, roll OUT! This may feel totally strange at first, but believe me - the richness of the overtones gets lost on a Boehm flute if one plays too rolled in. The sound may seem clearer initially if one plays rolled in, but actually it is "covered" and one dimensional. Rolling out and uncovering the embouchure plate as much as possible lends itself to a rich sound full of colors and possibilities.

Also, experiment with opening the aperture as much as possible. The distance of the space between the upper and lower lips is very important. If it is too small the sounding tone will become "pinched"...If the opening is large and relaxed, there is no need to force the air and the tone will become smooth and effortless! It's fine even if your cheeks are so relaxed that they start to "flap in the wind" a little bit!

OK...hope that helps a little! Have fun! Long tones are the fastest way to improving, even though they can be frustrating to practice.

Good luck!
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Dana wrote:

Dana
Oh my, that's not going to go over well around here......

Loren
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Thanks to all.

When I was 12 I asked my orthodontist if I could play boehm flute.
He took out a book, Woodwind Deformities, and explained
to me that flute playing would shrink my upper lip
and make me look like a woodchuck. So I didn't
play flute.

Now I'm 64 and I'm going to play Boehm flute.
At my age it doesn't matter if I look like a woodchuck.
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Jim, I could swear you said you weren't getting another flute :-?

Loren