Reviol Flutes

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Jim Troy
antispam: No

Reviol Flutes

Post by Jim Troy »

just curious as to how many people have a Maurice Reviol flute , and how ye are getting on with it ?

what's it doing for you , and not doing etc.
lets hear it , warts and all...
( not really looking for comparisons , as they are allegedly odious , the comparisons , i mean , not the flutes )
Unseen122
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Muireann Nic Amhlaoibh from Danu uses one.
Blayne Chastain
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Blayne Chastain »

she actually plays a Martin Doyle. Maurice fitted it with his keys - which work great by the way... She just released a solo album... Brilliant!

http://www.muireann.ie/

:party:
Markus
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Markus »

I don't have one but I had the chance to test-drive one a bit. Seemed like an excellent instrument, actually good enough to make me consider getting one for a second. It was a lefty I tried, and although playing right-handed, I managed to get a good tone out of it, loud low D included. Can't say much else other than it was a beautiful flute.

m.
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

McChastain wrote:she actually plays a Martin Doyle. Maurice fitted it with his keys - which work great by the way... She just released a solo album... Brilliant!

http://www.muireann.ie/

:party:
She must have switched recently. I think the last Danu album credits Maurice. I haven't heard the solo album, but I expect it to be good. I would have bought it in March when I saw Danu live, but I bought the first (self titled) album instead as it is hard to get in the states.
pmcallis

Post by pmcallis »

Reviol makes first rate Rudall style flutes with a large embouchure and bore, powerful sound and outstanding workmanship. It's a shame he's not more well known in North America.
The young and multi-talented Lyndsay Moynagh has one of his keyed models as I remember. I have Reviol #45 made as Maurice moved from Dingle to New Zealand. It's right at home with the Murray, Doyle, Noy although it is not quite as loud as the prattenesque Olwell, McGee and Hamilton.
:D
Paul
Byron

Post by Byron »

I have already answered Jim privately, but for the public record:

I have a keyless Reviol (#34). It is my everyday flute, and as soon as I can tear myself away from it, I hope to send it back to its maker for keywork. Maybe after the summer season.

Anyway, a fine flute with superb craftsmanship.

Byron
MsC

Reviol Flutes

Post by MsC »

I recently received a bloodwood Reviol flute. It is one of Maurice's latest models that really makes the third octave easy to play. But the low octave notes have not been sacrificed with the change.

Wormanship is superior; tone and volume are great, too.

Check out the Reviol web page for pictures and prices.
Denny

Post by Denny »

tommyk

Post by tommyk »

Just had another gig tonight - my third since the arrival of my blackwood Reviol (with Tulipwood endcap center and Eb key).
I was acutally about to give up playing flute altogether, figuring that the upcoming arrival of both uilleann pipes and hurdy gurdy would take most of my time. To that end, I'd sold my McGee Prattens keyless (a wonderful flute).
My closest friends convinced me otherwise.
Reviol's price and flexibility (with his superbly done post-mounted keywork) won me over and I decided he'd be my final try.
I'm VERY glad I did this.
The beast is a player on par with the best to be sure.
Tonight, in fact, I had more difficulty playing my whistle (poor monitoring resulted in me losing my place a bit) than I did the flute - this darn flute almost plays itself.
- Tommy Kochel

The Knotwork Band

www.theknotworkband.com
FaceBook: The Knotwork Band
theknotworkband@gmail.com