Motovation

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
I.D.10-t
antispam: No

Motovation

Post by I.D.10-t »

I must admit I go through highs and lows as far as self motivated playing.

Outside of my self I have found things that stress me to practice.

Lessons. (I do not want a teacher to say I sound worse this year)
Playing in a group. (you play the old version of “The Girl I Left Behind Me”?)
And job interviews (didn’t pan out, don’t ask)

So, what motivates you outside of your self?
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Sillydill
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Playing

Post by Sillydill »

I play in effort to maintain my frail grasp on my fleeing sanity.

I do not think of it as practice, it is an end in and of its self. I play to please my soul!

Though it would be exceedingly nice if I were capable of pleasing other souls with my playing. But, perhaps this will happen, if I keep playing! :)
Unseen122
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

When I was going through my last low I said to myself. Once I know all the tunes, I won't have to practice. I know it will never happen, but it definantly puts things in perspective.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

I'm guessing just about everybody goes through self-motivational cycles. What I seem to do to keep the ball rolling is to make variety out of my time, to keep subject selection organic and low-pressure: some days it's tunes, other days tricky tune runs or arpeggio-type exercises, other days might be devoted to particular ornaments that I want to put extra work into, another day just tone/embouchure practice or even just putting together sets. Frequently it'll be a combination of some of the above, just going with the flow some days. If I don't start off with tunes, I often end up with playing at least one or two by way of applying what details I've practiced on that day, and as a sort of reward.

The main thing is to get the flute out and have it right there looking at you.

Whether or not it all helps is another item. :wink:
Last edited by Nanohedron on Thu Apr 06, 2006 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
dow
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by dow »

I pretty much agree with Jordan. It's like therapy for me. As far as "practice", shoot, it's ALL practice, whether there are people listenning or not. :D
Dow Mathis ∴
Boerne, TX
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently motivated fool.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

dow wrote:As far as "practice", shoot, it's ALL practice, whether there are people listenning or not.
Fair enough, but I do make a distinction between practice and performance. One's like honing the blade, the other's like cutting. :)
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
stevetcm

Post by stevetcm »

Hi I.D.10-t,
this is a good question; how to stay motivated. There's an equation here to do with the amount of input ie work/effort and the reward ie musical satisfaction or appreciation. Sometimes it's all in balance and it's so easy, sometimes it's not and you wonder why you bother. The antidote to all this introspection is playing with others. Join/create a band/group whatever and this question will become irrelevant because you'll be trying to solve musical problems and not existential ones. Am I making any sense at all I've had a few drinks you know. hic
stevetcm

Post by stevetcm »

Oh and what motivates me is getting these bloody rolls sorted. It's enough.
regards
KateG

Post by KateG »

I'm with sillydill, I play as an antidote to reality
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

I never said I didn't, myself! :P
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

My playing ebbs and flows. Sometimes to do with energy level, mostly due to just how much time I have to play.

The thing that really motivates me is getting new material. I just got on inter library loan the complete Playford tunes. The best part is that my new Noy flute can play anything but an Eflat. Cross-fingers beautifully, so I can play all those tunes in C and F and I get to enjoy two new toys at once.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
daiv

Post by daiv »

i find i become unmotivated when i am only halfheartedly practice. now i do a good half an hour or an hour of harmonics, scales, arpeggios, and tone work, then i feel great and go into the tunes.

i was tired of playing poorly, and never getting better, so now i cant stand practicing for fun. the second my practice isnt productive, i stop. since i started redoing my practicing methods, the difference between months is the difference it used to be for years.

for you, find out what makes you unmotivated about practice: not enough tunes, not good enough, too overwhelming, dont know what to practice, etc. once you figure it out, just think about it, and try new things every day to put the fun back into it. for me, it was working hard instead of playing around that made it more fun. it might be the opposite for you, maybe you need to relax and just have some craic, who knows!

let us know how it goes.
BillChin

Post by BillChin »

I try and play some every day. It becomes habit.

Each summer I participate in a songwriting challenge group and their support and encouragement helps keep me going.

Once a month, I attend a music group and play a song or two solo. It helps to have practiced that month, that is motivation too.
BillG

Post by BillG »

Every day when 4:00 PM rolls around - or close to it - I salivate for my flute. Off I go to the "music room" (front room, ground level, looking out on the street) for an hour or so of "entertaining" self, cats, family, neighbors - whoever. I play no tunes for a while just flow the flute along. Then break out a book and play a few more, whatever hits me. The window to the street is my stage to the world (Phew!, Gary, how about that?)

No, I don't call it practice but my 4:00 o'colck tea ('tini?)

BillG
BillG
- - -
<><
Six Ps! (Poor Prior Practice Prevents Proper Performance)
jmccain

Re: Motovation

Post by jmccain »

I.D.10-t wrote:
So, what motivates you outside of your self?
It's fun to play music.

Best, John