"Ask Colin!"™

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Lambchop
antispam: No

Post by Lambchop »

Nah, I think he'll feel honored!

Wonderful, Gary!
GaryKelly
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by GaryKelly »

nonagon wrote:A qusetion to whoever Colin's available:
I have a tax audit comming and would like to know if I can deduct an ebay-purchased Pakistani flute as donation to the needed in a third world country.:thumbsup:

cheers
Colin, in reply, wrote:Dood, don't bother man! The deduction wouldn't be worth the cost of mailing the application! And like, word on the street is, it's a good job you bought it from ebay dood, Homeland Security are like tracking doods who buy stuff from Pakistan... heavy!
dow wrote:I have a question for Colin2. What kind of sports car does your McTrafficCone flute most resemble in handling capablilites, and what is your recommended fingering for the second octave B#?
Colin2, in reply, wrote: Yo, w'appnin? It's like, Lotus Elise, compact yet powerful, all out beauty and power, but with a hole in the silencer. B#? How did you know I was playing notes sensibles? The B# fingering is the same as the Cb, but obviously when playing up the scale I lip it up a smidge for the supersharp, and playing down the scale, I roll out a smidge for the Cb. You can do that on a TrafficMaster Model 24 pretty easily. Sometimes I like to noodle around though, using that paper cup as a kind of dhizi-like resonator. It really pizzes the fiddlers off at a session, especially when I try learning tunes on the fly.
treeshark wrote:A quesion for Colin 2 here, I've been playing for thirty years and have nearly finished learning The Kesh (Well to be honest I've not quite finished the second half). I own a few flutes 3 Olwells 2Grinters 6 Wilkes a Noy and my favourite Dixon Duo. I pretty sure it's the flutes holding me back and feel I'd make better progress with a different flute... please advise.
Ps I've been going to sessions for quite a while now but after a few weeks they change either the pub or the day and don't tell me, I'm sure it's nothing I'm probably just paranoid but I suspect they find the quality of my spoons playing hard to measure up to.
Colin, in reply, wrote:Sorry dude, you're right, it's the flute. Them Olwells and Wilkes and stuff are okay, but they're like, diachronic, which means you're stuck with the notes they made on them. Some people get keys for more notes, but they're still basically diachronic. You should get a Topeak I've got one and absolutely love it! It's fully chromanic, got all the notes ever. If you get the Nicholson Improved rubber dinghy and paddling pool embouchure attachment, you've got a real session powerhouse, you can play louder than the fiddlers! The return-spring in the handle is high carbon steel, which makes rolls ez-pz... you just kinda flick your wrist, the slide flies in, and bounces right back in like, a microsecond! Forget that almond oil stuff too, go with Shell Retinax HD. Spoons, you got to get real Sheffield Steel, anything else just isn't traditional. Maybe those session gadgers are just snobes and spotted you were using cheap plated shyte.
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
Cathy Wilde
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Another post, another keyboard. :lol:
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
Henke

Post by Henke »

:lol: You crack me up Gary.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Every time I say, "Ask Colin", it cracks me up.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Chiffed
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Chiffed »

Nanohedron wrote:Every time I say, "Ask Colin", it cracks me up.
That's long distance for really tall people.
Happily tooting when my dogs let me.