My last post.

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
maire
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by maire »

Listen up Guys, if we all keep falling out with each other, there will be no-one left to play with on Paddy`s Day.
Cant we all just forget it ever happened and look foreward to some nice tunes?
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

We had since last Thursday, then you resurrected the thread and bounced it back to the top of the pile again.
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
maire

Post by maire »

Its a special talent of mine......
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

David Migoya wrote:I seem to recall many of David's posts about anti-censorship (even while I was the one getting creamed by the negative and libelous posts)!

Anyway, this too shall pass. It always does.

Shoot, I ran off as well after a great deal of sh*t. It happens. We get pissed, we huff, we apologize and we move on.

I still stay in touch privately with the much lamented Andrew. A brilliant man, despite his shortcomings in tone and delivery. But once you get it, then it makes sense. I don't agree, but I understand.

Same with David. He's got his way and his method. It might not appeal to many, but so what? It's his and he's an individual with the right to express it.

However......
just because you write a letter to the editor doesn't mean you have the absolute right for it to be printed (in whole, part or at all). You don't own the newspaper, so you don't get to say what goes in it. That's why we have many other newspapers. Go print your own to say what you'd like unedited and unhindered (or uninhibited).
Same is here. Dale owns it; he gets to edit it in any manner he chooses. You no like? Too bad. We are the subscribers (and scribes). Totally our choice to stay or move on....or start our own.

I'm a newspaper reporter who completely benefits from the First Amendment each and every day of my life. It's been said here properly, the First is about the GOVERNMENT not abridging free speech or press. Doesn't say sh*t about private.
In that vein, not everything I wish to report and write on appears in the paper. And sometimes not even in the manner I write it. Why? Because I don't own it. I'm its employee. Does that suck? Yep. Yet I always have the right to question, to comment, to challenge.....and to leave.

As does our good friend and colleague, David.
Well said. And even in paradigmatic political discussions,
like a live debate, there are ground rules. Personal attacks
are out in presidential debates, for instance. If one candidate
points to the other and says: 'You are an utter Boogerbrain!'
the moderators will say it is out of bounds.

You want to be entirely untrammelled? Go write a pamphlet.

And this is the flippin FLUTEBOARD and the personal attack
happened in a thread that was
about selling a FLUTE, for cryin out loud.

Anybody who thinks his...ta da...Constitutional Rights entitle
him to attack people personally in any venue discussing
anything whatsoever (doilies, kazoos) is just being self-indulgent.

Learning to hold one's tongue--there is no substitute.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

jim stone wrote: And this is the flippin FLUTEBOARD and the personal attack

For godsake will yez stop it. There was no personal attack. There was a statement recommending removing someone's opinion re. the flute in question. David put forward that the person who offered the opinion in the first place was not in a position to make any sensible recommendation. This person has just posted a clip on C&S. If you think his playing warrants his recommending flutes to other people , so be my guest. I'd go with David's opinion.
Last edited by Cayden on Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

DaleWisely wrote:Miss me?
Who? Oh, wait a minute, it's what's his face.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Peter Laban wrote:
jim stone wrote: And this is the flippin FLUTEBOARD and the personal attack

For godsake will yez stop it. There was no personal attack. There was a statement recommending removing someone's opinion re. the flute in question. David put forward that the person who offered the opinion in the first place was not in a position to make any sensible recommendation. This person has just posted a clip on C&S. If you think his playing warrants his recommending flutes to other people , so be my guest. I'd go with David's opinion.
Nah, it was a personal attack.
Byron

Post by Byron »

I saw the original msg, and I wouldn't consider what was written too far out of bounds except that it was obviously a cross-thread attack under the guise of "helpful" advice. And then the grammarians got involved(which was actually much more interesting).

I'm only posting this to test my thread killing powers which I've begun to consider sort of a gift...not unlike "The Cooler".

Peace
Byron
Matt_Paris

Post by Matt_Paris »

Byron wrote:I'm only posting this to test my thread killing powers which I've begun to consider sort of a gift...not unlike "The Cooler"
If you mention your thread killing powers in your post, they won't work... That's what I learnt from my posting on french forums. (I think my powers just work in my mother's language)
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Byron wrote:I saw the original msg, and I wouldn't consider what was written too far out of bounds except that it was obviously a cross-thread attack under the guise of "helpful" advice. And then the grammarians got involved(which was actually much more interesting).

I'm only posting this to test my thread killing powers which I've begun to consider sort of a gift...not unlike "The Cooler".

Peace
Byron
The whole affair has more presence than it deserves. It should be let die down now.

Moderator, please:

Cathy Wilde
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Cathy Wilde »

maire,

Are you playing somewhere Paddy's Day? I hope it's more sensible in Ireland than it is here?

All I can say is that NOTHING on this board is bizarre compared to sharing the St. Pat's music bill with ......

http://www.bernadettesings.net/

:boggle:
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.