Augusta Festival in WV

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Nelson

Augusta Festival in WV

Post by Nelson »

I done it. I regestered under the new and famous Chiff Group for the week of instruction from Mike Rafferty. I got a copy of his book of tunes from Lesl and need to know which tunes he will be teaching so I can get a head start. So I need some one who knows Mike Rafferty to find out at least a couple tunes he will be using (ones from Lesl's book). And by the way when yous guys ar going to the Festival, do not stop along the road and play "Dueling Banjos" with strangers.

Nelson
dow
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Re: Augusta Festival in WV

Post by dow »

Nelson wrote:I done it. I regestered under the new and famous Chiff Group for the week of instruction from Mike Rafferty. I got a copy of his book of tunes from Lesl and need to know which tunes he will be teaching so I can get a head start. So I need some one who knows Mike Rafferty to find out at least a couple tunes he will be using (ones from Lesl's book). And by the way when yous guys ar going to the Festival, do not stop along the road and play "Dueling Banjos" with strangers.

Nelson
I'm registered as well. I don't have the book yet, but am planning on ordering one. I'd also like to get a line on what tunes he'll be working on. Looking forward to seeing you, Nelson.
Dow Mathis ∴
Boerne, TX
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently motivated fool.
Byron
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Byron »

Well, we're getting quite the contingent of Chiffers aren't we.

I'm of two minds on having prior knowledge of the tunes. I also have Lesl's book and find it to be a great resource ( Thanks Lesl!!!), however I don't want to miss the opportunity to experience learning some tunes the old way...call and response in the company of a master.

In the end I've decided that if a listing is posted I will test my discipline by not studying it.

All the best.

Byron
Cathy Wilde
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Byron wrote:<snip>

I'm of two minds on having prior knowledge of the tunes. I also have Lesl's book and find it to be a great resource ( Thanks Lesl!!!), however I don't want to miss the opportunity to experience learning some tunes the old way...call and response in the company of a master. <snip>
Amen (just don't forget the recorder!).

Budget willing, we'll see you guys there!

cat.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
Nelson

Post by Nelson »

Point (1) You all have to make a maximum effort to find out for me which tunes M.R. will be teaching, even thought you do not look at them. If you do not, what will happen on the second day is, I'll be playing 2 bars behind and hitting worng notes and you will be too polite to kick me out, probably. So make an effort for me, please. If you find out, I will tell you where Johnny Gallagher lives down the street. You can not find it by your self. You an go down and try all his flutes. Who knows M.R. email address?

Point (2) Kathe, why did you mention the recorder. I have a few, should I bring them.
Point (3)In the evening, when the fog goes over the water,I will go on the Tagert River in a John boat and pipe my Scottish Highland Pipes. When I do that the fish jump around me. I can't see them for the fog, but I hear them. I grew up on the Tagert.
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

hey people: where and what is this augusta festival in wv? i've lived here since i went to wvu. i can't invest a week or anything but i've only seen one other person play a whistle (that's who inspired me) and i've never seen anyone play the flute. i'd so like to know more about this. mutepointe
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

Cathy Wilde wrote:
Amen (just don't forget the recorder!).

You guys learning the recorder also? :lol:
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
Byron

Post by Byron »

Nelson,

Cathy means recording device (cassette, mini-disk, digital direct...). Apparently anything learned during the day is reluctant to be repeated that night, so the lessons are recorded. On my list of things to do before July is to learn my iHP-120 inside and out.

As for point (1), although I have never been to one of these for Ir-trad I have for guitar and I think you find that help abounds.

Pipes on the waterfront...nice.

Byron

Mutepointe ... http://www.augustaheritage.com/
Nelson

Post by Nelson »

Kathy, I feel so stupid, I thought you ment the wooden kind of recorders that I like to play better than penny-whistles. I hope you make it to Elkins.

Nelson
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

No, I'm the stupid one! I wrote that rather unclearly. (I do that a lot these days, alas)

Anyway, this does sound like great fun. There's a whole contingent of fiddlers from Ohio coming down as well and they know LOTS of tunes, so the RECORDING DEVICES (;-)) will also be handy at sessions!

Oh, wow, is that where John G. is????? I knew he was in WVA, but I never put two and two together (I seem to have that problem a lot, too).

Anyway .... Oh boy, do I have a flute for him to look at, so it would be great to know where he is and hopefully leave it with him for repairs.

Now, for mutepointe's point .....

www.augustaheritage.com -- look for the Irish Week listing. Hopefully you can at least make it over for a day or two!

Did that cover all points? ;-)

Byron, it'll be good to meet you as well -- counting John I think there might be four of us in the state now. Whoo-hoo! I feel a boom coming on!
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
Byron

Post by Byron »

Cathy Wilde wrote: Byron, it'll be good to meet you as well -- counting John I think there might be four of us in the state now. Whoo-hoo! I feel a boom coming on!
Cathy,
Yes, I agree. I've been meaning to PM you (If I may drag this off topic for a minute) about the Louisville Fest. Any news on that? I'm trying to line up some warm-up events.
Byron
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

hey folks: thanks for the info. i couldn't tell from the website if there was a concert or free activities or stuff that didn't involve registering for a whole week. does anyone know the details?
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Jennie

Post by Jennie »

Byron wrote:I'm of two minds on having prior knowledge of the tunes. I also have Lesl's book and find it to be a great resource ( Thanks Lesl!!!), however I don't want to miss the opportunity to experience learning some tunes the old way...call and response in the company of a master.

In the end I've decided that if a listing is posted I will test my discipline by not studying it.
I'm with you Byron. I've been practicing ear learning as a new learning style for me after a lifetime of classical training. I'm having fun with it and it comes easily for me. But I surely would not deny the possibility of advance study to anyone who wants it! (Case in point: I'm dusting off the geometry textbooks this summer before my daughter takes the course, so I'll be better prepared to help her.)

However, I wonder whether Mike is a teacher who has a concrete plan before the week starts. For me, although I certainly have lesson plans, some of my best classes are the ones when I follow a sudden inspiration and the class takes a direction I didn't expect. So while pressuring him to tell us exactly what he'll be up to, let's also allow him the freedom to pull a tune out of the air that seems to fit our particular group.

Maybe some of each?

Jennie
Jennie

Post by Jennie »

mutepointe wrote:hey folks: thanks for the info. i couldn't tell from the website if there was a concert or free activities or stuff that didn't involve registering for a whole week. does anyone know the details?
The new information on this year's classes hasn't yet been posted. But you can contact Judy Knorr, who's been helpful with my questions:

augusta@augustaheritage.com

She'll surely respond with more information if you ask her specifics.

Jennie
dow
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by dow »

I don't know how much help it'll be, but here's the page from last year:

http://www.augustaheritage.com/irish.html

HTH.
Dow Mathis ∴
Boerne, TX
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently motivated fool.