Augusta for a Beginner?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
dow
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Augusta for a Beginner?

Post by dow »

My wonderful wife has just informed me that she's been sneaking around behind my back and collecting information on sending me to Augusta Irish Week this year. While I'm thrilled at the posibility of going, and that it looks like we can actually afford it, I'm a little concerned that my flute-playing abilities might get left in the dirt, so to speak. Can those of you who've been before advise me about what I should expect and whether I should go this year or hold off until I learn more. Beth says that I should be able to make enough progress between now and then to make it through and that a full week's immersion will give me a real boost (and that she's brilliant and knows best and I should shut up and just go).

I've got a wealth of musical experience, but playing Irish flute is and Irish music is still very new to me. I'm pretty much teaching myself with what I can pick up here and what I hear off of the WHO cd's and books.

Thoughts?

P.S. I see that Mike Rafferty is the instructor this year.
Dow Mathis ∴
Boerne, TX
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently motivated fool.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

How new?

I find personally that a little instruction and a few tunes go
a long way. It would be a swell experience, no question,
but a week does sound like a lot to absorb. But I've never
been and maybe those who have can fill us both in.
dow

Post by dow »

jim stone wrote:How new?
I"ve listened and enjoyed Irish muisic off and on for years, but have only been trying to play flute since September, and that not steadily. Background-wise, I grew up with the obligatory piano lessons, then band in jr. and high school and a couple of years in college. I play guitar and mandolin and played with a gospel/bluegrass group for two or three years about ten years ago. I've also sung in church choirs since about 1993, although the church I attend now dowsn't have one.
Dow Mathis ∴
Boerne, TX
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

FWIW, I'd wait till next year--unless I had lots of money and/or
just wanted to be immersed. At three years of serious practice,
I'm still concerned about being overwhelmed. Get more chops
first, is my suggestion. A lesson or two can be very helpful
at the beginning. Embouchure begins to come online really
at a year. Issues about holding the flute properly and easily
go on for awhile, at least for me. Walk before you jog, IMO.
artsohio
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1
Location: Far enough north to get the new "Dr. Who" on the CBC!

Post by artsohio »

If you can afford it and the dates work out, I think you should go. Worst case, you are out of your league so you keep quiet, write down everything you can, learn as much as possible and come out inspired. How is that bad?

I don't know where you are in life, but you never know what things are going to be like next year, or the year after that. Money too tight? A new baby? Work schedule too tight? A family wedding? If you can go this year, why not do that and enjoy yourself instead of wishing you had 5 or 10 years down the road, possibly.

Then you should buy your wife something nice for being so supportive :)

-Janet
Jennie

Post by Jennie »

I'm planning to be there. On flute I'm still a "beginner" after a year with it, but all my whistle skills and tunes seem to transfer so I guess I had a head start. That said, I'm sure I'll feel intimidated, but also inspired, by those who are way ahead of me.

I'm going because it works in my summer schedule, and my daughter can go with me for a fiddle class, and I'm starved for some camaraderie in this ITM obsession.

Jennie
Wormdiet

Post by Wormdiet »

I would say - go for it!

I went to Swannanoa last year with exactly 5 months' fluting experience. I gained as much from the experience that week as I had in the entire five months beforehand. I ate, breathed, and slept music.

The lessons were only superficially why I went - there were good, but I learned sooo much more from listening to the greats, playing with other people, and focusing on nothing but music for a week. It was the most fun I had had in years.

At very worst, you will have a fun vacation. At best, you will learn a great deal, make new friends, and gain a lot of inspiration. You may also have the chance to get someone to look at your playing and nip any bad habits in the bud. I firmly believe there that's no such thing as "too early" to immerse yourself in the music. Starting out is the best possible time to get good feedback.
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
cathal morley

Augusta

Post by cathal morley »

By all means, go! Augusta is such a great experience - if you have the dough and the better halfs cooperation, life is too short to pass up the opportunity.

Regardless of your place on the learning curve, Augusta will give you such a boost to the next level you'll be amazed at your improvement.

You may not realize it when you are there but when you come home and for weeks after you'll wonder where all the music came from "in your heart" as well as in your head.

There's no substitute for total immersion in the idiom. You'll meet great musicians and wonderful people, you'll encounter wonderful instruments, and you'll die of exhaustion tryig to keep up with the sessions. Recovery takes weeks.

Take it from an old man who will never forget the joy of going to Elkins - GO! Bring aspirin and track shoes!

Cathal
dow

Post by dow »

Well then. I guess I'll just have to get over worrying about what other people think of my playing level, and get ready to be immersed (I'm sure that my Methodist ancestors are thrilled about that :lol: ). Barring something catastrophic, I'll be there. :D :D

-Jim: I tend to approach music much as you seem to. Several years back, I benched myself from our church's Christmas concert because I had been sick, and didn't feel that I had the music down well enough for the concert... really ticked the director off, but I wasn't going to bring the rest of the choir down with my just-over-the-flu croaking, hacking, and wheezing.

-Janet: I look forward to meeting you. Maybe by then I'll be able to do your flute proud. Thanks again for selling it to me. Oh, and I'm sure that Beth will be repaid for her kindness and support several times between now and then, :). I'm such a lucky guy to have her.

-Jennie: I look forward to meeting you as well. Valdez is a LOOOOOONG way from West Virginia, isn't it.

-Wormdiet and Cathal: Thanks for the encouragement and for telling me your experiences. That's encouraging stuff.

Now I'd better do some practicing before turning in. July 23rd is less than 6 months away.
Dow Mathis ∴
Boerne, TX
Byron

Post by Byron »

dow wrote: Now I'd better do some practicing before turning in. July 23rd is less than 6 months away.
Great decision Dow, I'll be there too and looking forward to meeting a bunch of Chiffers.

Oh, and it's 171 days...But who's counting.

Byron
dow

Post by dow »

I see from the Pennywhistle newsletter that group discounts are available:
Pennywhistle Newsletter wrote:Group discounts will continue to be offered. With a group of four, you’ll get $50
off each full time class and with five or more, you’ll get $70 off each full time
class if you all register at the same ime.
http://www.augustaheritage.com/Dec05-Ja ... histle.pdf

Does anybody know if a group of us could qualify, or if we'd all actually have to register together?
Dow Mathis ∴
Boerne, TX
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Well, I'm not so concerned about appearances (tho I'm concerned).
We have in St. Louis each year a Tional, I think it's in march.
You'll see the ads here, in fact. You might want to go. I
attended a John Skelton flute workshop a couple of years ago, lasted several hours. That was for me a lot.
I recorded everything and worked on it for months. What I would have
done if it had gone on for days, well, I would have to see! I could
handle it now.

I didn't count the fact that you'll have six more months to practice, I see,
and I agree that if you have the money and want to be
immersed, you might well wish to go. Anyhow i'm
glad you're going. Maybe I'll go too. As the saying goes,
the future is uncertain; eat desert first! Have fun.