Advice for flute hunter...

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
JPcares
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Advice for flute hunter...

Post by JPcares »

My son is saving up (possibly) to order an Olwell flute. He is looking for a good wooden flute that has that rich lower end Irish flute players like. If it has keys all the better but price and time seem to dictate a keyless flute.

To get this kind of flute are there any options to waiting a long period of time and spending ooodles of $$$. NOTE:I'm a fretted string guy and am clueless about flutes...
Hornpiper

Post by Hornpiper »

Your son ought to check out John Gallagher flutes as well if he hasn't already - another maker from West Virginia who does AMAZING work. Really fantastic instruments.

http://www.tallgrasswinds.com/JohnGallagher.html

Ben
Unseen122
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Well the wait varies by maker. So does the price, but he will still have to spend a lot. If he wants the richer lower end he probably wants a Pratten style Flute. Does he already play?
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

I think you should check out www.irishflutestore.com

Let Doc know what you're looking for and he can direct you.
He plays all the flutes himself, so he could be very helpful, and no wait. :wink:

M
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

If he wants an Olwell, he either has to wait (12-14 months for a keyless), pay through the nose, or get very lucky. The Olwell will be worth it, though.

I agree that John Galagher does fine work and would be a good alternative.

I disagree that he would want/need a Pratten-style flute for a rich lower octave.

You're in Baltimore, is your son, too? It's a bit of a hike (4 hours), but he might want to visit Mr. Olwell and/or Mr. Gallagher. He might get lucky and be at the shop when a good restored flute is available. Speaking of which, check out the flutes David Migoya has available in this thread:

http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php?t=34705
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
jim stone

JPcares

Post by jim stone »

One option is to buy a cheaper flute to learn on while
one waits for the Olwell--these are worth the wait.
If you are interested, I have some good flutes I
can sell inexpensively--not as good as the best
but good to learn on. One of these can be resold
when the Olwell arrives, however your son
may wish to keep it. Ihave too many flutes
now.

Let me know if you havequestions, please.
You can send me a private message, see
the top of the board. Jim
livethe question

Post by livethe question »

Here's another vote to check in with Doc Jones over at the Irish Flute Store (see below). Patrick has had, does have, and seems to regularly come up with some really nice used instruments as well generally having some new ones. His prices are fair all the way to being a bargain, at times. And you can't deal with a better human being.

http://irishflutestore.com/

jim d
JPcares

Thanks

Post by JPcares »

The answer to all questions...

I've spoken with Doc in a previous purchase and he was indeed great to work with. I will try to call him tomorrow. Patrick did invite us down to his shop. I just have to find the time to do that trip. We are in Baltimore. My son is fairly new to flute but is a mean whistler and is taking occasional lessons in flute from Elliott Grasso. He is progressing quickly :boggle:
Wormdiet

Post by Wormdiet »

So where exactly is "The Vatican of Fluthiery?" (IE Olwell's shop?)
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
ChristianRo

Post by ChristianRo »

Why the heck has nobody mentioned Mr. Dave Copley yet? Short waiting list, moderate prices and the heck of a flute. Seems Mr. Copley just isn't "hip" enough nowadays? I have had a wonderful 6-key of his make for over 1 year now and it's still getting better and better (well, I am getting better at it, to be correct).
His website is at www.celticlands.com
Christian
neilC
Tell us something.: Flute player with The Munster Men, trying to get all the help and advice I can as the journey never ends!

Post by neilC »

I try to mention Dave Copley's flutes everytime this kind of thread comes up here and on 'thesession.org' - can't see how I missed this one... Anyway, I have an unkeyed Copley, had it for a few months, just starting to get it to rasp nicely in the lower register. Great flute for the money and hardly any wait new, and wasn't someone on this board selling a keyed one on ebay a while back? Don't think it sold so maybe worth checking out.
Flute and whistle player with The Munster Men

A few random recordings of mine on YouTube
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

chas wrote:
I disagree that he would want/need a Pratten-style flute for a rich lower octave.
Pratten style Flutes tend to have a richer bottom octave in general. As we all know it is really more the player.
johnkerr

Post by johnkerr »

Wormdiet wrote:So where exactly is "The Vatican of Fluthiery?" (IE Olwell's shop?)
Massie's Mill, Virginia. About a 45 minute drive southwest of Charlottesville off of Rt 29. Top floor of an old 2-story bank building. No running water, no air conditioning, but he does have electricity, phone and dial-up internet access there. Definitely worth a visit if you're a flute player!
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

http://www.firescribble.net/flute/makers.html

Gives the names and addresses of many common flute makers.

It always suprises me that Luc Verhoeven isn't on that list.
http://users.skynet.be/fluiten/index.html
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

johnkerr wrote:
Wormdiet wrote:So where exactly is "The Vatican of Fluthiery?" (IE Olwell's shop?)
Massie's Mill, Virginia. About a 45 minute drive southwest of Charlottesville off of Rt 29. Top floor of an old 2-story bank building. No running water, no air conditioning, but he does have electricity, phone and dial-up internet access there. Definitely worth a visit if you're a flute player!
I believe it was my daughter's first experience in a privy. :)

There's also a beautiful state park a few miles up (and I mean up) the road from there. If we hadn't had a 3-year-old in tow, we would've spent hours hiking around there. I can't believe in the 10 years I lived in C'Ville that I never made it out therre
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.