The sound of Mike Rafferty's flute

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
kevin m.
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by kevin m. »

Thanks guys,for putting me on to Mike Rafferty.
I purchased 'The road from Ballinakill' by Mike and Mary Rafferty this week,and I love his style of playing.
I love players (of any instrument) that have that 'deceptively simple' approach-unhurried tempo,clarity and lots of 'soul'.
'Speed 78' is next on my list!
"I blame it on those Lead Fipples y'know."
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I bought 'Speed 78' a couple of weeks ago and as a fellow newcomer I totally agree with JS's remarks. The focus is really on the TUNE, if you know what I mean; other recordings I've heard are so fast and so "cluttered" with ornaments that the tune itself sometimes disappears. The CD is awesome :)
kevin m.

Post by kevin m. »

I got 'Speed 78' too this week,and I have to agree that it's a marvelous album.
Mike Rafferty is definately joins my band of favourite ITM musicians!
"I blame it on those Lead Fipples y'know."
JeffS

Post by JeffS »

Mike Rafferty and Jack Coen are my two favorite players. I got into irish flute listening to Seamus Egan, Matt Malloy etc. Then I got REALLY into the sligo style (feverishly buying up the Harry Bradley Marcus O'Murchu CD's). For the first several years of listening and playing the music, I found Jack Coen's "The Branch Line" to be, well, a little boring. Now, for a few years now I have simply fallen in love with the CD and Speed 78.

Personally, I think it's really not ever a question of who the "better" player is. It's simply matching the style to one's temperment. I realize - at least at this point, knowing that it may change - that loading up these tunes with a ton of ornaments and playing super fast isn't MY style. Does that mean I think Jack Coen is a better player than Matt Malloy? Of course not. In fact, I remember seeing him play one evening and my jaw dropped at the sounds he got out of that piece of wood.

I still love listening to the puncy players and the piping style players. All that said, I absolutely agree that - for me - Jack Coen and Mike Rafferty really sort of get to the heart of the matter of a tune. It's been said before, but part of their strength lies in being able to bring attention to the lovely turns or phrases in the TUNE as opposed to bringing attention to the MUSICIAN. I personally really appreciate that. In one of the tracks in the flute geezers, one of the players...his name currently elludes me, talks about the importance of knowing what to leave OUT of a tune instead of knowing what to put in to it. Jack Coen's uses ornaments so sparingly yet the tunes are rich and full. A paradox.

Jeff S
"Where I came from, to get enough to eat was an achievement. To get enough to get drunk was a victory" (Brendan Behan)
Hoovorff

Post by Hoovorff »

Well put, Jeff. I love the Rafferty "Speed 78" CD. You've sold me on Jack Coen's--I'll have to get that one now. It never ends! Isn't it great? Ah, music! :party:

Jeanie
BillG

Post by BillG »

Great reading this post! Now I have to go out and buy two more albums. HOWEVER, before I do that, does anyone know of a site where there are samples of each one (Rafferty and Coen) playing? Most of the sites I checked out where they're for sale don't have samples. I did find Rafferty on Wooden Flute Obsession 1 but it was a peppy reel.

Any suggestions - other than buy 'em?

BillG
BillG
- - -
<><
Six Ps! (Poor Prior Practice Prevents Proper Performance)
tin tin
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

Post by tin tin »

Jeff, you've really managed to express what's so powerful about these two players.
I also think Rafferty and Coen are fabulous...they were among the first Irish flutists I listened to, because Cherish the Ladies was one of the groups that turned me on to Irish trad. (Jack was Joanie Madden's teacher, and Mike is former CTL box player Mary Rafferty's dad. I had the pleasure of seeing Charlie Coen opened for my first CTL concert, while Mike Raffererty was a guest at the second.)
Another album I really enjoy is Jack Coen, Seamus Connolly and Martin Mulhaire (with Felix Dolan): Warming Up.
mimcgann

Post by mimcgann »

Just to mention, Jack Coen has a cd with his son Jimmy that came out a few years back. I know Ossian USA has it. Then there's the album by Rounder of Irish music from the East Coast from some time back, which has some tracks with Jack. And, you can hear samples on their site: http://www.rounder.com/index.php?id=alb ... og_id=3900

Personally, I think Jack's the master.

Post by Guest »

I was under the impression that Mike Rafferty - if its the same man - began on the box then later got into playing the flute with the 'grinter' flute but the tale may be about another Mike R?

Jack Coen is a very old man by now and I am suprised to hear he is still circulating. BTW He and Paddy Cronin made some very historical recordings but RTE and the Clare crowd are smothering all that to keep their tongs in the fire.... Oh well Oirish politics as usual.
David Levine

Different Rafferty

Post by David Levine »

Mike never spoke either of playing a box or of playing a Grinter flute. Right about his flute-- it is a hybrid.
I have both a Pratten Olwell and the smaller holed version. Not a huge difference between the two. The medium hole Olwell seems a bit brighter and clearer and perhaps not quite as loud. If the medium holed flute had keys I'd reach for it all the time. Can anybody recommend a person to retro-fit post-mounted silver keys? I want a short F and a G sharp?
Time will tell who has fell and who's been left behind,
Most likely you'll go your way, I'll go mine.

Re: Different Rafferty

Post by Guest »

David Levine wrote:Mike never spoke either of playing a box or of playing a Grinter flute. Right about his flute-- it is a hybrid.
I have both a Pratten Olwell and the smaller holed version. Not a huge difference between the two. The medium hole Olwell seems a bit brighter and clearer and perhaps not quite as loud. If the medium holed flute had keys I'd reach for it all the time. Can anybody recommend a person to retro-fit post-mounted silver keys? I want a short F and a G sharp?
Are you a Pom?
glinjack

Post by glinjack »

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 5:33 pm Post subject: Reply with quote
I was under the impression that Mike Rafferty - if its the same man - began on the box then later got into playing the flute with the 'grinter' flute but the tale may be about another Mike R?

Jack Coen is a very old man by now and I am suprised to hear he is still circulating. BTW He and Paddy Cronin made some very historical recordings but RTE and the Clare crowd are smothering all that to keep their tongs in the fire.... Oh well Oirish politics as usual. :D

Jack Coen is around the same age as mike Rafferty, give or take a couple of years,
Paddy cronin is retired now and living in Killarney, and plays quite often in a session in Castlisland in Kerry,
about the "'Clare crowd smothering all that etc" the clare musicians dont have to smother anything, their music speaks for itself, if you get what i mean, I come from Kerry myself but i have to say that if some of you musicians sit back and listen to the Clare music, you may learn how to really play good traditional music

Post by Guest »

glinjack wrote:PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 5:33 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack Coen is a very old man by now and I am suprised to hear he is still circulating. BTW He and Paddy Cronin made some very historical recordings but RTE and the Clare crowd are smothering all that to keep their tongs in the fire.... Oh well Oirish politics as usual. :D

Jack Coen is around the same age as mike Rafferty, give or take a couple of years,
Paddy cronin is retired now and living in Killarney, and plays quite often in a session in Castlisland in Kerry,
about the "'Clare crowd smothering all that etc" the clare musicians dont have to smother anything, their music speaks for itself, if you get what i mean, I come from Kerry myself but i have to say that if some of you musicians sit back and listen to the Clare music, you may learn how to really play good traditional music
Live a little and play it your own way.

:lol: :lol:
glinjack

Post by glinjack »

toasty keep your nose clean, looks like you get the wrong impressions of people