My Tipple's in the mail:-)

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
ChristianRo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

My Tipple's in the mail:-)

Post by ChristianRo »

Just got email from Doug that my Tipple B is ready! I'm excited! I chose this key to go with my flat U-Pipes. Any other Tipple low flute owners who would like to add to my excitement? :)
Christian
fyffer

Post by fyffer »

I've got a Tipple Low-D, and I still love it. I brought it to the beach this past weekend, and thoroughly enjoyed playing while watching my family frolic in the waves.

Congrats, and enjoy!
___\|/______________________________
|___O____|_O_O_o_|_o_O__O__|_O__O__|
KateG

Post by KateG »

I've have one of his original one pieces for a couple of years. But I've just had an e-mail from him to say that my new 8-hole D with a wedge and high G are in production!

I can't wait!
piperdoc

Post by piperdoc »

i have a D and i love it. playable, fun.
but low B, you are brave. let us know how the playability and finger stretch is.
i too play pipes. when i want ot play along with a flat set, i get out a whistle- my sindt C, burke B, or dixon Bflat.

meir
greenspiderweb
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by greenspiderweb »

My Low Bb Tipple with offset holes is in the mail too! Boy, Doug's been busy!

Since I first heard one, I've wanted to try a Low Bb flute. Finally I came to the logical conclusion of a Tipple, after deciding I didn't want to spend $500+ to find out!

I went to Doug's website, and saw that his father had just passed the end of July. It also said Doug was taking time off to settle the estate, and would take a hiatus from flute making after the present batch was done until August or September, I believe.

Luckily, he had one Bb in stock, so I elected to try the offset fingering, instead of what I would have ordered-the in-line holes. I'm anxious to see how it sounds and how I like the offset fingering. I'd bet I like the tone-so far, I haven't heard anyone say they didn't like the tone of one of his flutes. And the value-well, there's no one to compete with him in that regard, given the quality and craftsmanship that he puts into them, and the enjoyment we get from his flutes!

Thank you, Doug, for what you do! And my condolences once again on your loss. I hope your vacation lets you settle things and take a well deserved break!
~~~~
Barry
eedbjp
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been on this forum for many years, just getting back into it agin in 2019.. Tried many flutes and whistles, but keep coming back to the fundamentals!

Tipple Praise

Post by eedbjp »

See my post entitled" grass is always greener" a few above yours. Brian
Unseen122
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

I have had my Low C for a couple of weeks I love it.
ISU Trout Bum

Post by ISU Trout Bum »

Got my D this Tuesday (a dimple bored one) - I'm a complete neophyte to the flute - and can already play a few tunes. I know it is the quality of the flute and not me!!!!

Love it - WELL made, aesthetically pleasing, and great tone.

THANKS Doug!
http://northwaystringedinstruments.blogspot.com/

"Sine Cerere et Baccho friget Venus" - Terence, Eunuchus, IV.v
Fishie

Post by Fishie »

You people are making me want to buy another flute before I've even received my first one!!!

>:P
Daryl

Post by Daryl »

I'm on my 3rd Tipple flute. My original 1-piece low D and G flutes have been passed along to a couple of friends, but my 3-piece D is traveling to Big Sur with me this weekend. Love those Tipples!

Doug, I'm very sorry to hear about your father. My prayers and condolences are with you.

-- Daryl
greenspiderweb

Post by greenspiderweb »

Well, I found the Low Bb Tipple with the 3rd and 6th holes offset to be more than I could handle comfortably using the piper's grip. I can play any Low D whistle I ever had (many) with ease, and even an Overton Low C, which was a good stretch.

But, this was harder, I think partly because of the offset 3rd and 6th holes. If the 2nd and 5th holes were offset too, I don't believe it would have been so difficult. By the way, Doug says he can do that if you request it, but needs to know how much offset you want. My suggestion, would to be just put the 2nd and 5th holes midway, so it creates an even arc for each hand, which would lessen the angle your hand has to bend.

Doug says he plays it with his little fingers instead of the ring fingers for the offset hole, which may be easier, but I found that very awkward for me to use pinkies for fingering. And for that, it might be the best to have just the 3rd and 6th holes offset, if you intend to use your pinkies.

I think I would still be able to best play this Bb with in-line holes, and I may ask Doug to make me one like this after he comes back from vacation. Of course, the Low B would be easier to play, so I may opt for that.

Overall, it's a fine flute, this white PVC (non dimpled bore) with a pleasing, low tone, easy to play into the 2nd octave. I found I preferred the tone with the wedge, although it took me a day to be able to play it well with it. The first day, I was just struggling with being able to grip it properly.

It is really amazing what we can adapt to, by the end of my second day with it, I felt comfortable playing it with the stretch, and the wedge. Of course, the next two days, my fingers were aching (some arthritis) and I'm sure the muscles and tendons weren't too happy either!

I did find on the second day, when I tried to switch over to play my D flute for a comparison, I couldn't play it-my fingers wouldn't adapt to the close holes, and also the different embouchure. I went back to the Bb and it was again comfortable. But, as I said, the next two days of just resting (I sent the flute back to Doug) my hands were sore.

So, yes, we can adapt, but might end up paying a price (tendonitis, aches, pain) if we try something that is too challenging. That's my advice, anyway, you may have a body that is more forgiving than mine, or not!
~~~~
Barry
ChristianRo

Post by ChristianRo »

I received my Tipple Low B this Saturday. The stretch is quite a challenge, it's true! I have LH + RH 3 holes offset. I can play LH3 with my ring finger, but have to use my pinkie for RH3. I cannot imagine anyone being able to play a Low Bb with inline finger holes :boggle:
I could only play it for a short time, but I like its tone. I think you have to blow the flute quite gently. If you have a wedge, be careful where to put it, I haven't found the right spot yet. Without the wedge, the bell notes are strong, but the upper octave is indeed flat. With the wedge, the tone is more complex, but the bottom notes are somewhat harder to hit.
Back to practice...
Christian
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

It may be that the cylindrical tube is part of the problem;
conical Bbs have closer holes, I think.
They are playable, generally, but I've always
found cylindrical Ds to be more of a
stretch than conical Ds.
greenspiderweb

Post by greenspiderweb »

Yes, cylindrical flute holes are more widely spaced than a conical bore, that is the root of the problem. How we are able to adapt to it physically is the other problem.

Chiristian, I found that it didn't matter where the wedge was-either side or the bottom, for tone or playability, and it actually stayed there from the moisture in the bore.

I did find that it helped to get a stronger tone if I directed my airstream across and just below the far edge of the hole, instead of down into the flute to get the lower notes with more volume. But as you said, without the wedge, the lower notes were stronger.

After you've played it a little more, you will probably adjust to it quickly also. Have fun!
~~~~
Barry