Should I Buy this Flute?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Danner
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Should I Buy this Flute?

Post by Danner »

I have a Dixon 3-piece polymer on loan to me. The owner wants to sell it to me because he hasn't been able to play it. I need to decide whether to buy it from him or return it, and I'd like some advice. The current going price on these is ~$270. The flute is in like new condition.

My biggest concern with buying instruments is whether I will "outgrow" them. This is the first "real" Irish flute I've played. (I've played Boehm flute for over 5 years.) I like the tone. I can manipulate it to a great extent. I can get plently of volume out of it, even though it is small holed. I like the cross-fingering possible on the smaller holes, but the G# cross fingering is very weak. Responsiveness is pretty good, some rolls feel a little slow, but that could still be me. My biggest complaint is the feel of the polymer. To me it feels a like those black lab tables in science classrooms (if you've had those). The oils from my hands tend to make the material slightly sticky, and it just feels very plastic-y.

I've been saving up for a really real Irish flute (wooden, possibly w/keys), so I don't know if I should get this one and wait longer while I save up more, or just pass this offer up. (I was thinking about a Sweetheart 4-key. I would probably find a way to test one because of their reputation for inconsistency.)

Any advice?
"'Tis deeds, not blood, which determine the worth of a being." -Dennis L. McKiernan
JessieK
antispam: No

Post by JessieK »

You will, most certainly, outgrow it.
~JessieD
tin tin
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

Post by tin tin »

It's a fine flute, but I agree that you will outgrow the Dixon. I had one, sold it to a board member, and I believe he's passed it on, as well. If you can muster another 100-200 bucks, you could get an M&E, a Seery, or a flute by our own Jon C. An all wood Burns flute in mopane would also be in that price range. Starting at around $800 or $900, your options begin to expand dramatically. I think an M&E or a flute by Jon C. would give great bang for the buck and give you more room to grow than the Dixon (plus, they both have tuning slides). Neither of these have significant waits, another plus.
ChrisA

Post by ChrisA »

While I think it is likely that you will 'outgrow' the flute, that doesn't mean you shouldn't buy it. If you travel at all, especially if you camp, hike, or boat, you may find yourself in situations where you want to bring a flute but not an expensive blackwood flute. I have no intention of getting rid of -my- delrin flute for this reason.

Also, of course, since they make good starter flutes, even if you -do- decide to get rid of it, reselling it shouldn't really be a problem.

If, on the other hand, you have a spare thousand kicking around and know exactly which flute you want to grow into, well, then it wouldn't make sense to buy something you'd replace immediately.
Danner

Post by Danner »

Thanks! I kinda thought that I'd probably outgrow it pretty fast. I've only played it for an hour this morning, and I wouldn't mind playing a concert on this flute right now. I was thinking about traveling, but whistles would do nicely on a camping trip. The more I think about it, the more I'm wanting to just wait until I figure out what flute I want to grow into.
"'Tis deeds, not blood, which determine the worth of a being." -Dennis L. McKiernan
Steve Pribyl

Post by Steve Pribyl »

My biggest complaint is the feel of the polymer. To me it feels a like those black lab tables in science classrooms (if you've had those). The oils from my hands tend to make the material slightly sticky, and it just feels very plastic-y.
This would be the biggest obstacle to the purchase if it were me. I wouldn't buy it if it wasn't going to be a pleasure playing it. A wonderful instrument makes you want to play it. The feel of the instrument in your hands is critically important.

Steve
seisflutes

Post by seisflutes »

I dunno if you're looking for sugestions of other flutes, but these http://caseyburnsflutes.com/ff.php cost slightly less than the one you're talking about, and they're made of nice-feeling wood! I have two of Casey's more expensive flutes (D and Bb), and they're wonderful, but I haven't played this one. I have heard many good things about them though, on this board and elsewhere. So I just thought you might want to look at them.