Flute Crushed by UPS (and how to possibly avoid such things)

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Lorenzo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Lorenzo »

What a bummer, Brazenkaine! Ive been told by UPS that the insurance on a package is no good unless the instrument inside has at least 3" of padding between it and the outside. Maybe it was 4".
Jon C.
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

When I ship my wood flutes, I pack them in a plastic food storage container (microwave safe) and then float that in popcorn chips. (Making me hungry...)
By the discription of the damage, I will bet that the %#&*'s at UPS, put a forklift blade through the package, when they were lifting the palate of boxes!
I don't know what would save a flute from that. Maybe shipping it in PVC tubes.
Hope everything works out for your poor flute!:cry:
Jon
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Doskocil gun cases are cheap and great for shipping wooden flutes in.

Also, I agree with everyone here USPS has never failed me.

Eric
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Whistlin'Dixie wrote:Hi-Jack Alert!

Cat, I love your puppy!
Is that a picture of your pet?

M
:-)

Thanks, Mary! That would be my Miss Polly. She's an Australian Cattle Dog, rescued in Ohio by a kind soul at an organization called Cattle Dog Rescue who literally reassembled her face.

Apparently she was hit by a car .... or shipped UPS. <dodges tomato and runs>

But scarred face and broken teeth not withstanding, she's a sweetheart who does a very good job running my farm (that is, when she's not rolling in horse poop, herding songbirds, or climbing on the furniture).

I do love the little cuss. So thanks for the compliment!
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

She looks very intelligent, Cat. Companionable and pleasant. If I were going to have a dog, it would be one just like that.