Ring Flute

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Just listened to the sound clip.
Like no other instrument on the planet, our circular flute is designed with the discriminating flutist in mind.

The RingFlute is created and tested with the help of numerous professional flutists at every step of the design process.
I imagine the help consisted of "Whatever...". :lol:
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Doubt there is a second octave.
Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Dale »

Personally, I'm holding out for a rhombus-flute, or maybe something triangular.

Dale

P.S. Maybe a Mobius StripFlute
treeshark

Post by treeshark »

DaleWisely wrote:Personally, I'm holding out for a rhombus-flute, or maybe something triangular. Maybe a Mobius StripFlute
I'd be in favour of tesseract based instrument, or a Klein Bottle based flute which would allow 4 dimensional fluting.
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

I emailed the chap asking about key and range, and for a fingering chart etc...

Seems he's snowed under with emails (probably from C&Fers!) but he did respond that the ringflute is in the key of A.

Didn't say whether it had a two octave range though.
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

GaryKelly wrote:I emailed the chap asking about key and range, and for a fingering chart etc...

Seems he's snowed under with emails (probably from C&Fers!) but he did respond that the ringflute is in the key of A.

Didn't say whether it had a two octave range though.
I thought the website said 3 octaves, but I couldn't find it today. Lots of information on the "purchase" page:

http://www.ringflute.com/purchase.htm

Also, the guy wrote me back and it definitely is a curved flute, with a wall in the bore, as I suspected. He sent me a pic which shows it better (I assume the pic on his main page is a prototype or something).

fyffer

Post by fyffer »

Wanderer wrote: Also, the guy wrote me back and it definitely is a curved flute, with a wall in the bore, as I suspected. He sent me a pic which shows it better (I assume the pic on his main page is a prototype or something).

Hmmm -- this one has 6 finger holes, as opposed to the 7 previously pictured. Physically, there is no reason why this shouldn't be as responsive as a PVC straight flute, which is to say, it *can* be tuned properly to play 2 pretty-well-in-tune octaves, even if it is cylindrically bored. I shan't buy one -- ever -- but I'd like to play one sometime just for fun (reversed fingerings notwithstanding).
___\|/______________________________
|___O____|_O_O_o_|_o_O__O__|_O__O__|
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

The picture on his web site looks to be a prototype image. His FAQ seems to indicate that it is a 7 hole (six on top one on the bottom). It looks like he may still be hammering out the details if his web page image needs updating. I wonder if the picture on the web page is a computer-generated image with the lady playing an early prototype.

It looks to me in the image that about two inches of the tube is unused. I wonder why a vent hole was not just placed up higher as in a walking stick flute. Artistic discretion I guess.

I wouldn’t doubt that this will eventually show up on a science fiction TV program. :roll:

Maybe his next flute will be a snail shell type so that it will be a nice conical bore instrument. :)
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Y'all do realise that the efficient shedding of condensation is impossible with that design. You'd have to roll your head around to the left and tilt back while playing to get the flute to drain. So much for the input of professional players. :roll: