One of the most obnoxious flute recordings ever

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
BigTex
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by BigTex »

Harry wrote:...More sub-standard ear candy crap for the tonally conditioned. People don't generally really know what they like, they like what they know because they've been taught to 'know', and what better way to appeal to people than giving them easily palatable ideas of things... 'celtic' this, 'pure drop' that, 'innovative' this, 'fusion' that... it's advanced bollocksology for idiots invented largely by idiots who have attached themselves to Irish music because there is something to gain from the atmosphere of quite high levels of artistic ignorance sorrounding it....

End of rant.

Regards,

Harry.
I literally ran into Flatley in New York nearly ten years ago after a River Dance show. I turned around and his face hit my chest, and he cursed at me. Just goes to show you that no tree is too big for a short dog to lift his leg on.

I've got no clue about your rant, but I want to say I love your stuff. Bad Turns, Careless Straying and Tap Room Trio get a lot of play time at home. My son and I have spent at least 80 hours fine tuning our attempt at replicating your rendition of the Belfast/Lilted March. At Arkey's Blue Silver Dollar in Bandera we play it each week and call it Harry's March.

Best to you.

Saludos
Tex
oleorezinator
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes I love tin whistles I love flutes I love irish music I love concertinas I love bodhrans

Post by oleorezinator »

did shakespeare say anything about sour grapes?
Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love.
Love is not music. Music is the best.
- Frank Zappa
Harry

Post by Harry »

I'm not sure, but I can tell you that they are an acquired taste and are best suited to an educated palate.

Regards,

Harry.
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

did shakespeare say anything about sour grapes?
Dunno, but Aesop did!
Just goes to show you that no tree is too big for a short dog to lift his leg on.
OMG. I laughed out loud!! :lol:
oleorezinator
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes I love tin whistles I love flutes I love irish music I love concertinas I love bodhrans

Post by oleorezinator »

Harry wrote:I'm not sure, but I can tell you that they are an acquired taste and are best suited to an educated palate.

Regards,

Harry.
we marvel and long for more máistir.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
- Frank Zappa
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

oleorezinator wrote:
Harry wrote:I'm not sure, but I can tell you that they are an acquired taste and are best suited to an educated palate.

Regards,

Harry.
we marvel and long for more máistir.
..."moisture" as Gaeilge, right? :P That and iffy hygeine of the grapes, and you have the makings of noble rot.

All right, I'll go off and try to make an actual, valid contribution elsewhere.
Harry

Post by Harry »

Close, but no todóg.

Regards,

H.
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Not to sound like a suckup, but (......SUCKING UP SFX.......) I've been lately pondering exactly the point Harry raised. It seems like sometimes a crossover can be genius (I'm thinking of that one charming Sharon Shannon turn with the Portugese (?) reels; can't remember the name?) but a lot of times nothing but crap. Nonetheless, this whole nimbus of "Celtic-like" stuff has risen out of what was once fairly unadorned music where all the magic depended on the musicians/singers & listener or dancer interaction. So now I keep wondering what separates the good from the bad in today's efforts. Is it the ability of the players? Is it personal taste level -- the players', the listeners', or both? Is it the need to establish your 'cred' as an exceptional traditional player before you go branching off? It certainly isn't production dollars spent, as some of the most heartbreaking stuff you'll ever hear is one person, alone .... (and I think lots of people would agree they've had an experience like that)

Even in my own playing I struggle with 'how pure can pure-drop be?' Or can I ever even be capable of it? Because I'm American and because of my playing background, I can't help but be influenced by jazz, by certain harmonic progressions, and even by what influences the people I play with, etc. -- and they all seem to bleed into my playing. However, I hear others do jazzy-type stuff, arranged tunes with hamonies, deploy unusual/unexpected accompaniment with great success (at least commercially).

Is it good or is it bad? And how do you know when you're on a good track -- is it just what feels good to you, even though it may not be as commercially viable?

Wow, sorry for the waste of space. But just pondering .....
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

:eek:

Nevermind. Just read the "In defense of Michael" thread.
Sorry.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
oleorezinator

Post by oleorezinator »

Harry wrote:Close, but no todóg.

Regards,

H.
so sorry, a mháistir.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
- Frank Zappa
oleorezinator

Post by oleorezinator »

harry, on a serious note, who are the flute players that you admire? seamus mac mathuna is one of my favorites. o
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
- Frank Zappa