Someone's Auctioning Terry McGee flute on ebay..

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Eldarion
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Eldarion »

Hey All, just saw this!

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dl ... 1494953003

Keyed Terry McGee flute that started off a hundred something and now the price is rising as I type. 5 Days left to it too!
Loren
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

It'll likely sell for more than it's worth, especially considering that it's less than three years old and already cracked.....

Loren
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

I know the guy who's selling that flute (the Nashville Irish music community is pretty small), and I have seen the flute. It's gotten so expensive!!

:smile: Jessie
ChrisLaughlin

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

What the heck!?!?! $2500 for a four keyed flute?!?!? And one with a crack on it?!?!?
You could be a new six-keyed flute from Terry or from Mike Grinter for less than that!
That's it. I'm going to sell all my instruments..... who knew instrument resale was such a goldmine?
Chris
P.S. - I thought Terry designed his flutes with some sort of special headjoint/tuning slide so that they were crack-proof.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ChrisLaughlin on 2001-12-10 21:08 ]</font>
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

Don't forget, Chris, that a keyless Olwell sold on eBay this year for $2,300
My guess is this McGee flute will hit $3,000.
Sick, I know, but there are the nuts who get caught up in the auction frenzy....or they're totally unaware.
ChrisLaughlin

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

Yeah, I hear you David. People get caught up in the "must have it now" mentality and lose perspective. If I didn't feel bad about the idea I would definately get on a bunch of flute waiting lists and just sell the flutes for a tidy profit as soon as I got them. I just have a hard time understanding why anyone would pay $2500 for a damaged flute when they could have a brand new four keyed flute from Hammy Hamilton for under $1000 in less than a years time. If they're so eager to play the flute, why don't they just go and buy a bamboo Olwell for $80 and work on that for a year while they wait for a blackwood flute. How many people do you know who play so well that they are actually limited by an Olwell bamboo? Very few. As a matter of fact, the better one plays the more fun an Olwell becomes. People ought to spend more time playing and less time buying (and that includes me). Okay, end rant.
Chris

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ChrisLaughlin on 2001-12-10 22:43 ]</font>
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Yeah, I agree with you about the price Chris, it's just sick what that flute is going to sell for.

I sort of disagree about the keyless thing though: If someone wants to play tunes with accidentals, they're gonna need a keyed flute....or else they're going to have to get as good as Brian Finnegan at half holing. All the makers seem to have fairly long waiting lists for keyed flutes so....if you want to play tunes other than strictly Ir trad, and you need those keys, what else is there to do but pay the big bucks?

Still, I think it's shameful that people sell used flutes for more than the original price and end up (in some cases) profiting more than the craftsmen who make them. I mean these guys are still alive!! Sure, it all comes down what the market will bear but still.....$3000. for a used, road weary, cracked headjoint, 4 key McGee? Gimme a break? This guy used the flute for 2 1/2 years and now he's going to MAKE money on it!!

Well, it's possible I'm pissed because I just sold my mint condition Healy Ironwood Keyless flute for $300 LESS than they cost new. Hmph.

Loren

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Loren on 2001-12-10 23:08 ]</font>
bruceb

Post by bruceb »

I don't understand why you guys are getting upset. There is a long wait for a keyed McGee. If someone doesn't want to wait and wants to pay a premium for the privilege, so what? Why do you care? I wouldn't do it, but it doesn't bother me in the least that someone will.
Why the road weary, damaged comments? A THREE year old flute road weary? Guess you wouldn't want a tired old Rudall or Prattens flute, at over a hundred years old they must be *really* tired & weary. The headjoint's repaired guys, and the seller was upfront about it.
BTW, McGee offers an improved slide to *reduce* the possibility of cracking, and I didn't see any mention of one being on this flute. Any wooden flute can crack if the moisture levels are allowed to fluctuate beyond what the flute can handle. Who knows exactly why this one cracked?
ChrisLaughlin

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

Naw, I'm not upset. Just baffled.
Chris
Eldarion

Post by Eldarion »

Okay I'm quite shocked. Its just slightly more than 12 hours and this this has increased in value by 2500%!
CraigMc

Post by CraigMc »

I have to agree with most of you, I was trying to get that Hamilton flute last week and was actually a bit relieved that I was outbid by $10 at $560. I checked Hamilton's site and saw that a brand new keyless with the current exchange rate goes for $560.

I would rather wait and get one brand new and be able to deal directly with the dealer for the same price than get it now and used. Your also right about the Olwell Bamboo, I have been practicing harder as I wait for my Copley and the second octave has become noticeably easier. I am actually playing tunes and can now play "Boys of the Blue Hill" all the way thru. I'm now going to polish up the "Kesh Jig" and am working on "George White's Favorite." Now that I've put more commitment into the Bamboo flute I can say I won't ever part with it (even though I'm playing it backwards). I love the sound and it's a great flute to take with me everywhere I go. :grin:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: CraigMc on 2001-12-11 00:57 ]</font>
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Bruce,

I thought I made it clear in my post: I'm bent because I just took a loss on my mint condition Healy flute :smile: Damn Skip and his short waiting list. If only he'd started making people wait a year for his flutes, I would have been able to make a profit just like everyone else! Heh, Heh.

Now Bruce, you would't be sticking up for this guy partly because you have a few used flutes for sale yourself, would you :smile:

Seriously, I just dislike the fact that craftsman like Patrick Olwell and Terry McGee put long hours and much effort into making these instruments, don't make much money in the process, and then people who don't contribute and ounce of time or effort to make the instrument, make a profit when they resell them. Sure it's just the nature of things sometimes, but I don't have to like it.

Heck, if a used keyless Olwell can sell for what, $600 more than original price, Patrick ought to raise his prices by $500.

Finally, I suppose this irks me most because I used to manage a musical instrument store and I have quite a bit of experience with used instruments - buying, selling, etc. With very few exceptions, used instruments of all sorts (including woodwinds), from makers that are still producing (and likely to be for some time) generally sell for LESS if they are used, not more.

Ahh, never mind, this is a waste of time. I'm getting off the soap box now.....
bruceb

Post by bruceb »

<<Now Bruce, you would't be sticking up for this guy partly because you have a few used flutes for sale yourself, would you>>

Heh, heh. Busted! Yeah, maybe.....partly. I have more than a few instruments for sale. It seemed like you guys were ganging up on the seller a bit. He put it on Ebay with what seem like good intentions. Very clear photos of even the repaired crack. Not his fault if someone wants to give him a fortune for it. His description of the repair (perfectly repaired) was unfortunate. It looked a bit messy, but again, his photo was very clear.
~~~~~About my little sale. Yes, I've sold all but one flute (only kept my McGee Metzler copy) and all my whistles except for 4 Water Weasels. I did this partly because I need the cash badly right now, but also because I'm just not the collecting type, and I was getting a collection. I'll miss the Abells, Sindts, Thin Weasel, Burkes (Yikes! almost forgot the Copeland, and the McGee & Seery at Fyfer are mine too!) & Rutzen flute (a really neat, well made, sweet playing flute!), but not a whole lot. The McGee is my favorite flute, and the Water Weasels my favorite whistles (my Bb WW is the best whistle on Earth, I think. Ha, Ha, Ha!).
~~~~~~I am on the (loooong) McGee waiting list for a Rudalls Improved with the modern cut, rounded rectangle embouchure. When that arrives it will sorely test my resolve to keep just one flute as I really love the Metzler copy.
~~~~~~~I also just received a brand new! English Concertina made by the Button Box in Amherst, Ma. which is wonderful. I'm selling my Aeola English, which should sell for significantly more than the new one. So, I still have lots of instruments to play, one flute, one concertina, and one set of Weasels.
My flutes and whistles (many apparently sold) are at Fyfer Restorations and my Aeola English concertina should be FS at the Button Box in a few weeks. Thats about all folks. Merry Christmas.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: bruceb on 2001-12-11 09:55 ]</font>
ChrisLaughlin

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

It's alright Bruce,
I totally sympathize with you. I wasn't picking on the guy selling the flute at all. As you said, he was very up-front about what was being sold, much more so than most folks on e-bay. I am just a little baffled about why one would pay so much for a used flute, especially one that has cracked (even if it has been repaired). I think a lot of it comes down to a lack of knowledge about the options. I feel like a lot of the Irish instrument makers have been neglected here in the US, and their prices are generally much lower and wait times much shorter for flutes that are every bit as good as the flutes made in the US or in Australia. I bought a Grinter, and think it is a fantastic flute, but if I knew I could have gotten a six keyed flute from Hammy for the same price in a shorter time I most certainly would have gone that route.
Loren makes a note about people wanting to play music other than Irish music and that being their reason to scramble for flutes on e-bay. Well, I sort of understand that, but if they didn't need the keyed flute yesterday, why do they so desperately need it today? What I'm saying is that there is more than enough to learn on the unkeyed flute to keep one occupied for a LONG time, much longer than the waiting list for a keyed flute.
Anyways, I feel like I've worn out this arguement. It's not really a big deal at all. People are welcome to buy and sell instruments for whatever price they want.
Bruce, I'm at the same place you are whistle and flute wise. I'm ready to sell allmost all of them off, and just keep my favorites. How to do it in a way that I feel comfortable with? I haven't yet decided. Back in the day I bought a couple of Copelands, three to be precise, hoping that I'd find one that I liked, but I was disappointed with each of them and ended up selling them on E-bay, each for well over $100 more than I bought them. I can't quite remember, but I think I made almost $300 profit on one of them. I don't think that would happen now.
So, maybe one of us should write some sort of study on the economics of the whistle and flute trade. What do you think?
Chris
jomac

Post by jomac »

The economics is simple. Long waiting list on new item = more demand for used item = higher price for used item. It does seem a shame that the makers can't benefit from this, but there it is. Question: if a flute maker could find a way to keep ahead of the waiting list (this is hypothetical, ok, assume magic or something) so that he/she could sell with no wait while keeping the quality up to par, do you all think they could/should charge more?