Question about Sweet flutes

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Dave Parkhurst
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Dave Parkhurst »

I own a Ralph Sweet flute and find it somewhat hard to play on the bell note... is this typical of Sweet flutes? I have a Poe flute and this isn't a problem with it.
JessieK
antispam: No

Post by JessieK »

Unfortunately, Sweet flutes vary tremendously. Some are great throughtout their range and some don't have one good-sounding note. Is the Sweet flute keyed? If so, it's probably a pad problem. If it's keyless, it's a bigger problem.

Who is Poe?

:smile: Jessie
ysgwd

Post by ysgwd »

I have a maple keyless low D Sweet. It sounded muddy and way too quiet when I first got it--the embouchure hole looked about as small as the tone holes! I filed the embouchure hole an equal amount all the way around enlarging it about a third, and now it sounds a bit better, but still rather quiet--the upper octaves are now easier to produce. I also have a rosewood pic in D by Sweet. It was unplayable when I received it so I gave it the same treatment. It is playable now, but the upper octaves are a strain for my lips. I have a few years of experience studying concert Boehm, so I don't think it is me. I have no problem with the Olwell cane flutes.
Lisa
Dave Parkhurst
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Dave Parkhurst »

Brian Poe makes the occasional black PVC flute which he sells on E-Bay. Nice product...low D that will rattle windows.