"FluteFling" Returns to Aberdeen : 3rd - 5th Nov. 2023

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
kenny
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

"FluteFling" Returns to Aberdeen : 3rd - 5th Nov. 2023

Post by kenny »

After a 5 year hiatus [ always wanted to use that word ], and a very successful return to Edinburgh in April, we are delighted to announce the return of "FluteFling" to Aberdeen, over the weekend of 3rd - 5th Nov. 2023.
A few details are still being finalised, but the basic information is here below, as posted on "thesession.org" :

2023 FluteFling Aberdeen
http://flutefling.scot/scottish-flute-e ... mber-2023/

"We are excited to announce the tutors for this year’s FluteFling Weekend in Aberdeen. Tina Jordan Rees, Niall Kenny and Munro Gauld.

Tina was ‘Composer of the Year’ Nominee MG ALBA Scots Trad Music Awards 2022 and will be teaching with FluteFling for the first time, where she will have a warm welcome.
Niall and Munro are popular musicians and tutors who have both taught at Edinburgh events. Both were contributors to “The FluteFling Collection” of tunes.

The FluteFling Aberdeen Weekend will take place 3-5 November, with workshops on 4th November at Ruthrieston Community Centre, 532-536 Holburn Street, AB10 7LL.

Advance Tickets: £60/ £40 concessions* (£75/ £45 on the door)
from Brown Paper Tickets

* Unemployed / Benefit Recipient: Applies to those who are unemployed or in receipt of low income benefits, e.g pension credit or universal credit. Please note that this is a flexible rate and you can pay more if you are between the two categories.

Also :
Fri. 3rd Nov. : “Meeting-up” session in the upstairs lounge of “The Blue Lamp” in the Gallowgate. 8.00pm
Sat. 4th Nov. : evening session at The Cults Bowling Club, Cults. This is a few miles out of town, but with a very good bus service, the 19 First Bus service to peterculter, and also the country bus services to Banchory, Ballater and Braemar. 8.00pm
Sun. 5th Nov. : the now notorious “Survivors’ session” - back to upstairs in The Blue Lamp. 1.00pm

Start times are subject to confirmation - watch this space.

If anyone requires more specific information, please send me a Private Message. If I can’t answer it, I will find someone who can.

Hope to see you there, Kenny

PS - as I type this, 10 of the 36 class places have already been purchased, with the whole of October still to go, and publicity just starting. Should you wish to come to us for the weekend's music, I would recommend booking well in advance.
"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"
kenny

Re: "FluteFling" Returns to Aberdeen : 3rd - 5th Nov. 2023

Post by kenny »

Gordon has updated information on the website, with video clips from our 3 tutors.
Friday and Saturday sessions will begin at 7.30pm, not 8.00pm, as I wrongly anticipated.
"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"
kenny

Re: "FluteFling" Returns to Aberdeen : 3rd - 5th Nov. 2023

Post by kenny »

A couple of guests joining us, worthy of mention.
Former "Battlefield Band" piper, flute and whistle player DOUGIE PINCOCK , recently retired from his position as director of the National School Of Excellence in Traditional Music at Plockton, will be coming down from the highlands to generally assist, and certainly add to the sessions. We've asked Dougie to interview tutor MUNRO GAULD, to ask him about the research he's been carrying out investigating historic local music collections in central Scotland, and Perthshire in particular.
Also Scottish flute maker GEORGE ORMISTON will be dropping in for a while during Saturday.