Inhaling through nose

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Flake Brown
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am new to uillean piping but am keen to learn more. I am a big fan of the playing of Johnny Doran!

Inhaling through nose

Post by Flake Brown »

Hi folks. Ive been reading a facinating book about the health benefits of breathing always through the nose rather than the mouth. Now I know it feels instinctive when playing flute to take sharp intakes of breath through the mouth because it feels easier to quickly fill the lungs...but has anyone here tried getting into the habit of inhaling quickly through the nose? I've been trying this this morning and it feels difficult, but I wondered if any flute players have mastered it and found it advantageous for their breath control overall?
PB+J
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Re: Inhaling through nose

Post by PB+J »

I'm just happy to get through a tune!

I think taking a walk for an hour could confer far more health benefits than plying the flute for an hour, and for me considering the health benefits of playing flute are sort of like considering the vitamin content of chocolate
Conical bore

Post by Conical bore »

Maybe it's due to my geezer age and occasionally stuffed sinuses, but if I tried to draw the same amount of air into my lungs through my nose that I can do through my mouth, you'd hear a loud snort that would be very distracting!

That said, there is one method of nasal breathing used for wind instruments, and that's the "circular breathing" method to play a continuous sound without appearing to take a breath. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circular_breathing

It's a traditional wind instrument technique in some cultures, but don't know if any famous ITM flute players use this method. Getting a good Irish rhythm pulse and volume on flute as well as overblowing the bottom D into harmonics takes a fair amount of wind reserve in the lungs. I don't know if circular breathing is compatible with the ITM style.
stringbed
Tell us something.: Playing woodwind instruments for over 70 years and deeply interested in their history, manufacture, technology, and performance practices.

Post by stringbed »

Circular breathing is also known as “the glassblower’s trick” and requires significant resistance to the flow of air in order to work. It is used by classically trained oboists and is practicable on other high-pressure low-flow instruments. The flute is at the opposite end of that spectrum.
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

Hatao has done it on both whistle and flute:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekIIn_BY3e0

But think it's more of a party trick on these instruments and not the most musical thing to do when breathing's normally an integral part of the rhythmic style!
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
Moof
Tell us something.: My motto: If a thing's worth doing, it's worth doing badly. (Fortunately, as otherwise I'd never be allowed near a musical instrument.)

Post by Moof »

One of the problems is that at any given time we're usually breathing much more through one nostril than the other. A lot of people find that one side of their nose always feels stuffier than the other because the septum's not exactly in the middle, so if you happen to be breathing on that side (the brain swaps from one to the other through the day as part of a natural cycle), it might feel really difficult.
glacier
Tell us something.: I'm a clarinetist/silver flute player just getting into Irish music. I play Greek/Turkish/Balkan in addition to classical.

Post by glacier »

I've known Balkan style clarinetists who've used circular breathing to great musical effect when holding an impossibly long note at the beginning of a solo, particularly one that's got tension with the chord or riff being played underneath- which often causes excitement at a live event to go off the charts.

It's definitely trickier to do on instruments with less resistance- like flute- and even more difficult to keep heavy rhythmic accents going- you'd have to time it well between the accents in order to really use it, if that's a style of playing you're going for.

I hadn't seen the clip of Hatao doing it on whistle and flute- that's impressive. Can't help but notice that tho he's quite capable, I've never seen him actually use circular breathing (aside from this vid) otherwise in his hundreds of Youtube vids.

In general, breathing thru the nose in at least classical woodwind playing is discouraged because those lovely hairs in the nose that filter the air also substantially slow down the inhalation- not something we're usually going for when trying to fill up the lungs in the middle of a piece.
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

glacier wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 5:47 pm I hadn't seen the clip of Hatao doing it on whistle and flute- that's impressive. Can't help but notice that tho he's quite capable, I've never seen him actually use circular breathing (aside from this vid) otherwise in his hundreds of Youtube vids.
Oh, there's at least one more earlier one at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWpv7w5kNk4 as well as related discussions on The Session. But you're otherwise quite right; it's not something he really uses for trad, and I certainly want to hear the rhythm that comes with the breaths.
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
rykirk
Tell us something.: I am a piper and guitarist who has taken up the whistle and flute. Mostly interested in and playing Scottish baroque and trad.

Post by rykirk »

stringbed wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 10:12 am Circular breathing is also known as “the glassblower’s trick” and requires significant resistance to the flow of air in order to work. It is used by classically trained oboists and is practicable on other high-pressure low-flow instruments. The flute is at the opposite end of that spectrum.
Circular breathing is completely possible on flute, whistle, recorder or really any wind instrument. It's more difficult to master on lower pressure instruments but still something most people could learn in a few weeks of daily practice.

I learned circular breathing on brass instruments at music college and have had no trouble applying it to folk flute.
rykirk
Tell us something.: I am a piper and guitarist who has taken up the whistle and flute. Mostly interested in and playing Scottish baroque and trad.

Post by rykirk »

Flake Brown wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 5:39 am Hi folks. Ive been reading a facinating book about the health benefits of breathing always through the nose rather than the mouth. Now I know it feels instinctive when playing flute to take sharp intakes of breath through the mouth because it feels easier to quickly fill the lungs...but has anyone here tried getting into the habit of inhaling quickly through the nose? I've been trying this this morning and it feels difficult, but I wondered if any flute players have mastered it and found it advantageous for their breath control overall?
You will never be able to take in as large a volume of air thru your nose as quickly as thru your mouth. Whether that's a problem for your playing probably depends a lot on your style and what you're playing. I'm not sure how it could improve breath control.

Know that inhaling thru the mouth is standard practice in the classical world for all winds. Playing an instrument is a specialized and transient activity with extra requirements.. I'm not sure it makes sense to try to apply the rational of passive day to day breathing to it.