Jay Ham flute with new footjoint design

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Flutern
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I have a keen interest in wooden flutes (modern and antique), early music (Renaissance, Baroque), Romantic music and Irish Traditional Music of course! I also play the clarinet (my first instrument) and I've also started learning the cittern.

Jay Ham flute with new footjoint design

Post by Flutern »

TL;DR: it's a wonderful flute! Link to some photos at the bottom.

Three weeks ago I received my new 9 key Jay Ham flute in boxwood, and I wanted to share some thoughts and photos. I first got in touch with Jay to overhaul and make a new headjoint for antique flute I had. Later he added a lip plate and made a new barrel to fit the head on another flute. Both times I was really happy with the result, and this headjoint had a quality of tone that I hadn’t found in any other flute I had played. So of course the temptation was great to order a flute from him but the footjoint he offered at the time wasn’t exactly what I was looking for. So I approached Jay at the end of 2021 to see if he could make a Boehm footjoint with a more typical layout. It turned that he was working on a new design for a customer that had asked the same thing. One thing leading to another, I placed my order and 18 months later (as expected), the flute is here in my hands and I am absolutely delighted with it.

It’s his Rudall model, with a medium bore and medium holes. Jay describes it as large-holed, but except for hole #5 they are not that large: I resold a couple of flutes because I struggled with the stretch and size of the finger holes, but I find this flute very comfortable. It’s a very slender flute, and it feels incredibly light: it’s by far the lightest keyed flute I’ve played, I suppose due to the combination of the slender profile, a half-lined headjoint and boxwood. The keywork, including the foot keys, is fantastic. Not only do the keys look really good, but their shape and position are excellent. The touches for Bb and (high) C are slightly rounded, which makes the action very smooth. I particularly like the C key, since it’s super easy to slide from keyed C to D, or say F# to C, which makes it possible to use the keyed C nat in a lot of places where I would usually use cross-fingering. The foot keys work really well too.

Everything in this flute exudes quality: it has a beautiful warm woodsy tone, it’s incredibly responsive, the intonation is impeccable, and the craftsmanship is flawless. And as you’ll see on the photos, it’s absolutely gorgeous. The flute also came with a stunning hand-made wooden case, a turned grease pot and even a cleaning rod with a mark on it indicating the default cork position. Really nice!

I could go on and on, but I’d just like to add that on the 3 occasions I dealt with Jay, I had a very good experience. He’s a genuinely nice person, he's very flexible and very professional in the way he handles his business.

Some pictures: https://flic.kr/s/aHBqjAPS2H
Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.
Juan Pablo Plata
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Jay Ham flute with new footjoint design

Post by Juan Pablo Plata »

What a nice instrument
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Beautiful for sure!
rama
Tell us something.: flute itm flute, interested in the flute forum for discussions and the instrument exchange forum to buy and sell flutes

Post by rama »

stunning work, seems be meticulously crafted, thanks for sharing
BKWeid
Tell us something.: I really enjoy the information and experience from the members on this forum. I've learned so much from the long time members about ITM, flutes, and whistles in general. I also enjoy the humor and culture. Instrument reviews have been helpful and the posts on embouchure are priceless. As I generally don't get out to sessions, the information from this board is my only connection at times to the music.

Post by BKWeid »

I love my Jay Ham 8 key. Such a wonderful player. And beautiful as well. Jay is making top instruments and does excellent work.
EzMan
Tell us something.: Thank you for hosting an awesome place.. Been gleaning info for many years but now i need to speak.
I play silver and timber flute whistles and bass trombone

Post by EzMan »

Can't wait for my 9 key Pratten in Blackwood to get here! Should be seeing it sometime late Dec. or Jan.!!
Jay is an Awesome Guy!.. I have a Bb on order with him too.
EZ
BKWeid
Tell us something.: I really enjoy the information and experience from the members on this forum. I've learned so much from the long time members about ITM, flutes, and whistles in general. I also enjoy the humor and culture. Instrument reviews have been helpful and the posts on embouchure are priceless. As I generally don't get out to sessions, the information from this board is my only connection at times to the music.

Post by BKWeid »

I too have a Pratten on order from Jay. I’m excited for that time to come. Always a work of art. Exquisite craftsmanship and strong wonderful playing instruments.