Who makes a Delrin Piccolo keyless in D?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Roland of Gilead
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I make ceramic instruments called Ocarinas for a living but am also very fond of playing whistle and accordion for Irish traditional music

Who makes a Delrin Piccolo keyless in D?

Post by Roland of Gilead »

Hammy Hamilton seems to make (or no longer makes) a piccolo in D in Delrin, but I'm not finding many hits out there for keyless D's in delrin. Musique Morneaux makes a lovely model but alas not in Delrin. Peeler might make one.

Who am I missing that makes a *good* keyless piccolo in delrin?
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Re: Who makes a Delrin Piccolo keyless in D?

Post by kkrell »

I can't find any, either. Tony Dixon has a polymer piccolo, but I don't know how "good" it is.

To the extent that he may still be taking orders, Terry McGee offers Delrin (or acetal) as a material.
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
Flutern
Tell us something.: I have a keen interest in wooden flutes (modern and antique), early music (Renaissance, Baroque), Romantic music and Irish Traditional Music of course! I also play the clarinet (my first instrument) and I've also started learning the cittern.

Post by Flutern »

Tom Aebi. Not 100% sure about delrin but I know he's been experimenting with different materials, and he definitely makes piccolos. Best to ask him directly.
Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.
Sirchronique
Tell us something.: I like whistles, flutes, lyres, cittern/mandolin/bouzouki family instruments, as well as heavy and nasty slap bass. Languages, linguistics, history (especially Migration Period and Bronze Age Europe), cuisine from various parts of Latin America, chili growing, bushcraft, and the works of JRR Tolkien also tickle my fancy.

Post by Sirchronique »

Roland of Gilead wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 7:57 pm Hammy Hamilton seems to make (or no longer makes) a piccolo in D in Delrin, but I'm not finding many hits out there for keyless D's in delrin. Musique Morneaux makes a lovely model but alas not in Delrin. Peeler might make one.

Who am I missing that makes a *good* keyless piccolo in delrin?
Terry McGee does them

I didn’t see any delrin on the Aebi site, though he does offer some kind of non-wood material option.
plunk111
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Post by plunk111 »

JemtheFlute (a member here) used to make one in PVC that plays really well - I have one and love it! You might be able to talk him into resuming production???

Pat
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
Flutern
Tell us something.: I have a keen interest in wooden flutes (modern and antique), early music (Renaissance, Baroque), Romantic music and Irish Traditional Music of course! I also play the clarinet (my first instrument) and I've also started learning the cittern.

Post by Flutern »

Sirchronique wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:52 pm I didn’t see any delrin on the Aebi site, though he does offer some kind of non-wood material option.
He made some delrin flutes in the past and he offers far more options than what's listed on his website. One material he uses is Juma (a resin based material) which, as far as I can tell, has all the desirable properties of delrin. Hence why I suggested getting in touch with Tom.
Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.
Sirchronique
Tell us something.: I like whistles, flutes, lyres, cittern/mandolin/bouzouki family instruments, as well as heavy and nasty slap bass. Languages, linguistics, history (especially Migration Period and Bronze Age Europe), cuisine from various parts of Latin America, chili growing, bushcraft, and the works of JRR Tolkien also tickle my fancy.

Post by Sirchronique »

Flutern wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 8:42 am
Sirchronique wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:52 pm I didn’t see any delrin on the Aebi site, though he does offer some kind of non-wood material option.
He made some delrin flutes in the past and he offers far more options than what's listed on his website. One material he uses is Juma (a resin based material) which, as far as I can tell, has all the desirable properties of delrin. Hence why I suggested getting in touch with Tom.
Yes, juma was the “non-wood material option” I was referring to.
sfmans
Tell us something.: I've been a whistle player for over 40 years now, which is a sobering thought. I got started on a battered old Generation D and, well, just never stopped really!

Current gigs are The Powderkegs border morris, the concert band Trebuchet with our music theatre show The Mill Ballads www.themillballads.com, and Welsh dance band Caffl.

Post by sfmans »

kkrell wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 8:59 pm I can't find any, either. Tony Dixon has a polymer piccolo, but I don't know how "good" it is.
The Tony Dixon piccolos are OK - nice and light but a good strong sound. Go for the tuneable one. https://www.tonydixonmusic.co.uk/produc ... /piccolos/

I wouldn't play it in preference to my wooden MusiqueMorneux D piccolo, but you'd expect that for the price differential, and my Dixon gets regular playing as it sits next to the computer (whereas the Morneux lives in my gig bag several steps away!).