Alternate keys

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Steve Bliven
antispam: No

Alternate keys

Post by Steve Bliven »

Just out of idle curiosity, if you were to get a flute in other than D (perhaps F, Eb, low C, etc.), what would it be and why?

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
tstermitz
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Alternate keys

Post by tstermitz »

Nice question.

I would like an 8-key F flute - plays easily in F & Bb, maybe G with the foot. I'm not needing it so much for the key-signature, but for the different tonal quality.

I might like a C flute, which would make it easy to play in F. If I only had a keyless D flute, then a C flute would be a great way to play D-minor and G-minor tunes for less money than buying an 8-key.

I'll bet if I played a C flute my playing of low notes on my D-flute would improve, and similarly playing an F flute would probably help my higher notes on my regular instrument.
NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

My first non-D flute was a B flute to match my B pipes, and it was 8-keyed because sometimes fiddlers like playing in Gm (relative pitch) even after tuning down. The tone is an added bonus of course.

Then I got an F flute, and it's a blast to play - keyless because sometimes there's beauty in limitations (and also because it was a gift). F is fun to use with C instruments, because a fiddler can just play the same notes, but move everything down a string. I sort of wish I had a single G# key because when a fiddler plays in D (relative pitch) on a C instrument (ie absolute pitch is C) that comes out as A fingering on the F flute.

Then I got my antique flute fitted up with a new footjoint and ended up with an Eb flute (5 key, no Eb). Then I bought a Copley C flute because it was super cheap.

All the different tonalities and playing characteristics are great. If I had to do it all again, I'd probably do it in exactly the same order, to be honest.
Conical bore

Post by Conical bore »

I have a Lehart six-key low Bb flute in blackwood. What inspired me to get it, is that I've heard a low Bb flute used on albums by famous flute players like Matt Molloy, Frankie Kennedy, Kevin Crawford, Sylvain Barou and others. They'll play one or two tunes on the album with a low Bb flute, usually something slower tempo like an air or "slow reel." It's a different timbre and pitch range than the rest of the tunes on the album played on a D flute, a nice contrast.

A low Bb is about the largest size that can still be made in the "Irish flute" conical bore/open tone hole style and still fit under your fingers, and without too much of a reach for your right arm. There are Boehm "Alto" flutes that go down to A, G, or even lower as bass flutes, but they use mechanical keys to reduce the finger stretch, and beyond a certain point you need a "U" shaped head joint to reduce the arm stretch. A low Bb flute is still practical unless you have short fingers or can't handle the right arm stretch.

A low Bb allows playing tunes in G dorian using the open tone holes, or G minor with the help of keys or half-holing. Those aren't the most common modes in trad, but there are some great tunes in those modes. This is the main thing I use my low Bb for, along with a few slow airs.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

As with whistles, my three go-to top-of-my-head choices for flute would be Eb, D, and C: Eb for the Lamborghini effect, D for the Land Rover, and C for the Rolls Royce. Eb is bright and solar, perfect for solo playing, and if you've ever played an Eb session, it's magical. D, of course, is the default key; gotta have that most capable workhorse. C is creamy, also for solo playing, and for accommodating leverless harps and C sets (uilleann). Also for playing in Dm because I'm lazy. Haven't heard or played a C session; I imagine they happen once in a blue moon.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Sirchronique
Tell us something.: I like whistles, flutes, lyres, cittern/mandolin/bouzouki family instruments, as well as heavy and nasty slap bass. Languages, linguistics, history (especially Migration Period and Bronze Age Europe), cuisine from various parts of Latin America, chili growing, bushcraft, and the works of JRR Tolkien also tickle my fancy.

Post by Sirchronique »

I’d like most of them almost equally, I think.

However, I think if I could choose one, it would be in E natural.

I play low E whistle a lot, and would love to have an E flute to record along with it in unison. I like hearing flute and low whistle played together, with the different flavor of each one intertwined together. I think it creates a cool sonic effect.

Although I like F flutes, I prefer flutes E or lower, or soprano C or higher (piccolos). The middle keys don’t interest me as much with flute. I think E is right in that sweet spot where it is just low enough.

As it currently stands, I only have flutes in D. A main wooden flute and a delrin flute. I’ve had an Eb, a B, and an F in the past, but sold them. Now that I have a good idea of what I like in a flute, I’d like to branch out to other keys again eventually.