FS: Olwell keyless Nicholson

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
stiofan
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been a C&Fer since 2003. Currently playing wooden flute & (mainly low) whistles, along with the bowed dulcimer.

FS: Olwell keyless Nicholson

Post by stiofan »

jim stone

Re: FS: Olwell keyless Nicholson

Post by jim stone »

I posted this also on the facebook page. An Olwell headjoint fits the Pratten, the Rudall, as well as the Nicholson. lt can readily fit any number of flutes (sometimes with a bit of thread or plumbers tape) and it makes them become (more) alive. I play not only the Nicholson and the Pratten but also a 19th century Rudall body that the Olwell headjoint fits. An Olwell headjoint is a good thing to have around. The Nicholson is on the lighter side, it is sweetly in tune, it is on the Pratten side of things but easier to finger and it has, I think, one of the most beautiful sounds in the flute world. Patrick has been called 'the Stradivarius' of flute makers, and it's all here.
stiofan
Tell us something.: I've been a C&Fer since 2003. Currently playing wooden flute & (mainly low) whistles, along with the bowed dulcimer.

Post by stiofan »

Thanks for the :thumbsup: Jim.

Letting go of the Olwell isn't an easy decision to make, but in light of physical issues that probably aren't going to improve too much going forward, I'd rather find a home for it with someone who can really get the most out of its versatility and potential. Simply put, it's a higher-quality flute than I can justify keeping around and not play often enough.

But...I'm still keeping an all-wood Casey Burns flute I've had for some time -- it's easier on my neck/shoulder and more forgiving than the Olwell, and I can usually play it for 1/2 hour or so without aggravating the nerves in my neck too much. I've also got 3(!) low D whistles that I'm sure will get more attention now.

Cheers -
Stephen
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Thank you. I very much hope things improve.
stiofan

Post by stiofan »

SOLD